Andean Abyss» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cartels SA Process rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Regarding Cartels SA "Process". It says:

PROCEDURE: (*) Remove any Cartels Bases desired and add +3 Cartels Resources for each Base removed. (**) Alternatively, place a total of 1 or 2 available Shipments under any Guerillas in spaces with Cartel Bases.

Is it OR or XOR? I.e. can I do (*) and (**) in the same SA or I need to chose either (*) (x)or (**)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
Regarding Cartels SA "Process". It says:

PROCEDURE: (*) Remove any Cartels Bases desired and add +3 Cartels Resources for each Base removed. (**) Alternatively, place a total of 1 or 2 available Shipments under any Guerillas in spaces with Cartel Bases.

Is it OR or XOR? I.e. can I do (*) and (**) in the same SA or I need to chose either (*) (x)or (**)?

You may go out and kill 100 people, alternatively, you may stay home and not kill anyone.

Your thoughts?
Can you do both with the same decision?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
ASLChampion wrote:
You may go out and kill 100 people, alternatively, you may stay home and not kill anyone.

I can see your point. That makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most things in everyday English is xor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it interesting that you posted the rule and that it listed "Alternately", as if that doesn't imply that you might choose the second option over the first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Turbine2k5 wrote:
I find it interesting that you posted the rule and that it listed "Alternately", as if that doesn't imply that you might choose the second option over the first.

Sheesh. So I wanted to write that comment on Yankees and their self-righteous attitude as if the ubiquity of their inbred version of English qualified them to insult these whose command of foreign--to them--language leaves somewhat to desire but I refrained.

The rule says:

Remove any Cartels Bases desired and add +3 Cartels Resources for each Base removed. Alternatively, place a total of 1 or 2 available Shipments under any Guerillas in spaces with Cartel Bases.

Does the "Alternatively" part pertains to:

1. removal of one cartel base which implies that I can remove 3 cartels bases, gain +9 resources and place 1 or 2 available Shipments?
2. amount of resources I am given for each base removed which implies that instead of +3 resources I may place 1 or 2 available Shipment?
3. that I need to take one action or the other one without the possibility of mixing them per my discretion.

As I understand I have been given an answer even though in somewhat passive-aggressive manner, something one needs to get used to it on board that is dominated by Americans. Therefore there is no need to make further fun of me unless your personal life is lacking on some fields and that is a way for you to compensate; in such case, I am here for you. I costs me nothing but if that makes you feel better, feel free to write whatever you wish.

By the way, the rule says "alternatively" not "alternately" which means something different. The difference is subtle so I guess that's nothing of surprise...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
An "alternative" is, to quote the Oxford Dictionary:
"1. (of one or more things) available as another possibility or choice.
1.1 (of two things) mutually exclusive."
"Alternatively" is the adverbial form of the word.

(Note that the Oxford Dictionary is English, not American, so your comment about "inbred version of English" is somewhat misplaced here.)

Written as the first word of a sentence but inside a section, "alternatively" refer to the entire previous sentence. (If placed as the first word in a section it refers to the entire previous section; if placed inside a sentence it refers to the previous part of the same sentence.)

Because of this, the only possible way to read the Process Procedure is your option 3: during a single Process SA you can either remove Bases to gain Resources (first sentence) or place Shipments (alternative second sentence), but not both.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Oerjan wrote:
Because of this, the only possible way to read the Process Procedure is your option 3: during a single Process SA you can either remove Bases to gain Resources (first sentence) or place Shipments (alternative second sentence), but not both.

Thank you. My comment regarding inbred version of English language was in a reply to Turbine2k5 comment, not in any way pertained to rulebook or the language it is written in.

I'd like to assume that there is nothing wrong in posting questions to this board regardless of how silly they may seem to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
Sheesh. So I wanted to write that comment on Yankees and their self-righteous attitude as if the ubiquity of their inbred version of English qualified them to insult these whose command of foreign--to them--language leaves somewhat to desire but I refrained.

I seem to have touched a nerve. I was just noting that the wording should have been sufficient to tell someone that they were allowed to perform one or the other actions. I'm sorry I didn't notice right off the bat that English may have not been your first language, as it seemed you had a handle on that just fine.

Quote:
Does the "Alternatively" part pertains to:

1. removal of one cartel base which implies that I can remove 3 cartels bases, gain +9 resources and place 1 or 2 available Shipments?
2. amount of resources I am given for each base removed which implies that instead of +3 resources I may place 1 or 2 available Shipment?
3. that I need to take one action or the other one without the possibility of mixing them per my discretion.

As Oerjan has pointed out, it refers to #3. You may either Remove Cartels Bases for +3 Resources, or instead of Removing Bases you can place 1-2 Shipments.

Quote:
As I understand I have been given an answer even though in somewhat passive-aggressive manner, something one needs to get used to it on board that is dominated by Americans. Therefore there is no need to make further fun of me unless your personal life is lacking on some fields and that is a way for you to compensate; in such case, I am here for you. I costs me nothing but if that makes you feel better, feel free to write whatever you wish.

I don't think personal attacks are necessary. I never meant anything other than pointing out that the word seemed to explain the action sufficiently.

Quote:
By the way, the rule says "alternatively" not "alternately" which means something different. The difference is subtle so I guess that's nothing of surprise...

Yes, I did mess up the word. "Alternately" and "alternatively", however, are interchangeable here. Google shows "alternately" here as:
Quote:
NORTH AMERICAN
as another option or possibility; alternatively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.