8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Print Rule Book at a Smaller Size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
irrational idesign
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Istanbul and both expansions. The base game and both expansions can fit into one of the expansion boxes, except for the rules to the base game.

I'd like to print the pdf version of the rule book the same size as the rules for the expansions (which, of course, fit nicely into the expansion boxes).

I would like to have the rule book be as close to the current one as possible: nice glossy paper, folded and stapled like the current rule book, etc. Basically I want the current rule book exactly as it is, just smaller.

Does anyone know where I could get this done? Does the pdf need to be altered in any way? I assume it can print smaller just fine. Are there any online places that specialize in printing rule books? I'm not terribly concerned about the cost, I just want it to be as close to the current rule book, but smaller, as possible.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed a PDF the other day and used the "booklet" feature (I think part of the HP printer driver) to print two pages to a side with the right fronts and backs so you can fold and staple. Not quite what you are asking, but it looks pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
irrational idesign
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I do have access to a nice color printer, so I suppose if I had some idea of what kind of paper to buy I could print the pdf out on that printer, but then I'd need to find a long handled stapler somewhere to staple it in the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd talk to your local print shop.

a) They should be able to print in booklet mode, but at some % that would closely match to size you want
b) They should have a long reach stapler as well.

The biggest problem I can foresee is getting the correct paper registration on the printer so front and back are aligned properly, because you will have no bleed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jallred wrote:
Thanks. I do have access to a nice color printer, so I suppose if I had some idea of what kind of paper to buy I could print the pdf out on that printer, but then I'd need to find a long handled stapler somewhere to staple it in the middle.

Print it on normal paper. And a "deep throat" or "long reach" stapler can be found for about $16 (think WalMart)
You can do lots of copies pretty cheaply this way, so not worth the expense of fancy paper...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use glossy printer paper. Some of it is very expensive, but I've found HP's Presentation Paper at a good price and really perfect for this purpose. (I had the same issue with Core Worlds.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
irrational idesign
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
jallred wrote:

I just use a regular stapler opened up and pressed into cardboard. Then bend the staples down with a coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.