1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

High Frontier (3rd edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Errata rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drake Immortalis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards (card list: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/118909/high-frontier-...):
-Doomsayer of the Gods: missing text [SERIOUS, card should be replaced. See https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p160a1n1w5csf6l/AAC4pdS4j1ZfKqn6b...]
-Search for CUDOS: missing text, cloud layering messed up [SERIOUS, card should be replaced. See https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p160a1n1w5csf6l/AAC4pdS4j1ZfKqn6b...]
-UTILITY FOG HALBANAUT: missing "engineering icon" (wrench icon) in upper right corner. missing "gear icon" left of thruster triangle. [SERIOUS, card should be replaced. See https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p160a1n1w5csf6l/AAC4pdS4j1ZfKqn6b...]
-multinational POLITICAL BERNAL: bernal icon displaced northwest somewhat obscuring card text [MINOR]
-a few cards where stuff was unnecessarily moved around or the clipping was messed up (eg Free Electron Laser, Magnetoshell Plasma Parachute, Rankine Solar Dynamic, etc), but the card is not unusable
-finished checking

Basic fuel strip:
-under outpost "yellow ring" should be "ring". [MINOR]
-all red arrowheads missing. [MAJOR, annoying. Solution: add arrowheads. see https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p160a1n1w5csf6l/AAAcwJJVY9Zx_gyq6...]
-finished checking

Colonization fuel strip:
-under outpost "yellow disk" should be "ring". [MINOR]
-all red arrowheads missing. [MAJOR, annoying. Solution: add arrowheads. see https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p160a1n1w5csf6l/AAAcwJJVY9Zx_gyq6...]
-finished checking

Solar system chart:
-no errors found
-finished checking

Rulebooks:
-Colonization: checked A-S. i am updating Phil Eklund's High Frontier living rules (https://docs.google.com/document/d/19bQZOUoxtxNM__Yo4xWf6sPD...) to reflect corrections.
--To date:
---Rule clarifications:
----Section K1, add missing third bullet: "The free burns from slingshots and moon boosts cannot be used to enter lander burns."
---Minor errors unimportant for gameplay but may be irritating or hinder understanding in A1, C0.2, C0.8, D2, E2, E4 example image, E6 limit, E6 example 1, F1, G4 example 2, H6 Note 2, I1, I2 bullet 2, J2 note, M1, M4 exception, O5 example, Q0, Q2 example, Q7, Q7 note, Q8 example 1, Q8 example 2, R5, S2, S4 image
-Reference: no plans to check
-Interstellar: no plans to check
-Training: no plans to check

Solar system map:
-Venus flyby note: "expanded game" should be "Colonization" or "Advanced game". I don't think the term "expanded game" is used anymore.
-Visible elements from poster map on other side of board are distracting.
-finished checking

Poster map:
-Map:
--Venus flyby note: "expanded game" should be "Colonization" or "Advanced game". I don't think the term "expanded game" is used anymore.
-Future stars area:
--game ends after 2 more events, not 1.
--failing an epic hazard is not worth vp.
-Sol event table:
--uses an old version of the text of this table (wording has changed somewhat).
-Overall, seems like they used an older version of the Solar system chart for the items on the bottom of map [SOLUTION: use "solar system charts" board instead of charts on map]
-finished checking

Interstellar map:
-no plans to check

Box:
- 1-5 players, not 2-5
-"exploration" probably should be "exoglobalization"
-"Ecklund" should be "Eklund
-finished checking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hermes Fall solitaire scenario should have an event roll at the start of every year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Immortalis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Errata reports welcome.

You can check what probably should be correct (with some exceptions) using:
Phil's dropbox (materials submitted to OSS, I guess): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p160a1n1w5csf6l/AAB-HfQoAg0wk_axF...
3rd edition vassal module (made from Phil's dropbox files in Oct 2015): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yx04l0yl1wquzek/AACzSW0w5eKPIClXr...
Living rules: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19bQZOUoxtxNM__Yo4xWf6sPD...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks heaps for this. I suspect most of the card errors were introduced at some point after Panda Games requested the cards be resized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary-Lorraine Cox

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrakeImmortalis wrote:

Box:
-"Ecklund" should be "Eklund"
Now, that is just sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaryLorraineCox wrote:
DrakeImmortalis wrote:

Box:
-"Ecklund" should be "Eklund"
Now, that is just sad.:(

Almost criminal. It's the simplest thing to get right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this!

When you say "I am updating living rules to reflect corrections", are you talking about the ones on the yahoo group or the current OSS ones? In any case, are you planning on posting errata that you find here as well?

Possible erratum: in the training guide, on p. 3 there is a statement "The later missions in the Training Guide incorporate these optional modules in an order intended to minimize the number of additional rules you have to learn for each new mission". I have not seen this mission progression that incorporates progressively more optional modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear God. Please, only ONE set of living rules. Please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I found a couple in the rule book last night:

E4 - The location of the rocket in the E4 image does not match the location in the E4 Example text.

E6 - In the Limit section, it refers to keeping track of yellow discs, which I think should be rings of your color instead.

Neither of these were marked in the Living Rules on the SMG website, but I may be looking in the wrong place.

This is my first copy of High Frontier, and I'm a little disappointed in the errors I've found so far (There are a couple in the Training Guide as well).

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
ColintheFlea wrote:
I think I found a couple in the rule book last night:

E4 - The location of the rocket in the E4 image does not match the location in the E4 Example text.

E6 - In the Limit section, it refers to keeping track of yellow discs, which I think should be rings of your color instead.

Neither of these were marked in the Living Rules on the SMG website, but I may be looking in the wrong place.

This is my first copy of High Frontier, and I'm a little disappointed in the errors I've found so far (There are a couple in the Training Guide as well).

Thanks,

Colin

I noticed those as well, Colin.

As you may infer from this comment, my copy of HF arrived shortly after you emailed me your FitL flowcharts. I got a bit distracted by HF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtngrown wrote:

I noticed those as well, Colin.

As you may infer from this comment, my copy of HF arrived shortly after you emailed me your FitL flowcharts. I got a bit distracted by HF.

No worries. I've been reading HF as well.

As for the Training Guide, there is an error there also, I believe:

Route Signposts - When explaining the black landing module icons, it says that the number is the size of the location, and one less than the thrust you need to land/take off. In reality, I believe it already accounts for the additional requirement, and the number = thrust needed.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Silveira
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColintheFlea wrote:

Thanks,

Colin

It IS disapointing. Mine won't arrive until May and I'm already pumped to play the game (it appears to be really difficult!), but I'm kind of sad that there is THIS MUCH problems with the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
laucion wrote:
ColintheFlea wrote:

Thanks,

Colin

It IS disapointing. Mine won't arrive until May and I'm already pumped to play the game (it appears to be really difficult!), but I'm kind of sad that there is THIS MUCH problems with the components.

Don't be too disappointed. The components are really quite nice and most of the issues are minor, as long as you know about them.

Kudos to the OP for the thorough checking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laucion wrote:
ColintheFlea wrote:

Thanks,

Colin

Once you see the full scope of the game in all its glory, you'll be amazed there the errors are this few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The MAJOR problems are really just annoyances. The only SERIOUS problem that isn't easily fixable is the robot colonist, which only has a problem on its promoted side. The gear icon is redundant, since it says "Promoted Robot Colonist" right next to the thruster triangle. So, you just have to remember that the promoted HALbonaut has the engineering specialization. The glory cards never need to be shuffled or stacked during play, so you could either print out new ones or just tape a banner with the missing information on the bottom of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two very minor rulebook errors:

Colonization, section A1: it says the yellow disks are used for outposts. Later in the same section it correctly says that the rings are for outposts.

Training Guide, in the Setup section under point 15. It says there is only 1 die (there are 4), and then in its explanation of why there is only 1 die, the grammar is wrong when it says "you'll only be rolling 1 dice at a time".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Names and numbers.
badge
I haven't changed this in years and I don't intend to start now.
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt_W wrote:
The MAJOR problems are really just annoyances. The only SERIOUS problem that isn't easily fixable is the robot colonist, which only has a problem on its promoted side. The gear icon is redundant, since it says "Promoted Robot Colonist" right next to the thruster triangle. So, you just have to remember that the promoted HALbonaut has the engineering specialization. The glory cards never need to be shuffled or stacked during play, so you could either print out new ones or just tape a banner with the missing information on the bottom of the card.

Agreed. Actually, compared to hodgepodging earlier versions together and keeping up on the various rules changes (and card erratas), this version is quite refreshing to play. It's mostly accurate, and entirely playable!

Glory card discussion in the other thread has lots of good ideas about fixing it, here was my solution: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25465443#25465443
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metaridley18 wrote:
Matt_W wrote:

Agreed. Actually, compared to hodgepodging earlier versions together and keeping up on the various rules changes (and card erratas), this version is quite refreshing to play. It's mostly accurate, and entirely playable!

Glory card discussion in the other thread has lots of good ideas about fixing it, here was my solution: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25465443#25465443

I think it could come down to whether you have played before or not. Being new to the game, things like references to pieces that have changed usage during playtesting, but that were not updated in the rules (yellow discs for outposts), or having examples not be correct (E4 and Route Signposts in the Training Guide) make learning more difficult than it needs to be.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It's worth noting that none of the (non-map, non-card) component changes were play tested (including, in my defence the addition of 3 extra dice). I think that's why so many inconsistencies exist around these: they didn't get the same level of scrutiny everything else did.

A similar problem exists with the description of the other rule books in the Training Guide: what the rule books were was never finalised until the publisher had the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonization rule book, J2 (Victory Points) shouldn't the Endgame Example (grey box) be 18 VP (3 + 8 + 3 + 1 +3), not 15 VP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stephans
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Colonization rule book, J2 (Victory Points) shouldn't the Endgame Example (grey box) be 18 VP (3 + 8 + 3 + 1 +3), not 15 VP?

The three claims are restated as three disks, so the rulebook is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be super-duper helpful if the first post on this thread could be edited now and then (and dated) to include all the errata as it is uncovered in the subsequent comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewdoull wrote:
It's worth noting that none of the (non-map, non-card) component changes were play tested (including, in my defence the addition of 3 extra dice). I think that's why so many inconsistencies exist around these: they didn't get the same level of scrutiny everything else did.

A similar problem exists with the description of the other rule books in the Training Guide: what the rule books were was never finalised until the publisher had the rules.

It shows. Frankly, it's unforgivable to me that the training guide, the book that we're supposed to use to teach us to play the game, is so poorly suited for its stated purpose. It is impossible to use that book to learn to play without referring to the main rules repeatedly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Krebbeks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reference Guide: V0d. Static politics: The politics disk remains on start
which fixes the free market value at 5 WT.

Isn't the Free Market value at the start position 4 WT?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Immortalis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated 3e printed colonization manual errata list through rules section G which have been corrected in living rules. Thanks for errata submissions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.