Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it this week and the dice rolling is quite upsetting sometimes.

I propose that every player gets a player shield (to hide) and sets the values of his dice.

Then players reveal them, and place them in turn order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørnar Løseth
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without reworking the rest of the game, this alteration would just break the game. Live with the rolls. Laugh or cry a little. Hug your friends afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
richardtempura wrote:
Played it this week and the dice rolling is quite upsetting sometimes.

I propose that every player gets a player shield (to hide) and sets the values of his dice.

Then players reveal them, and place them in turn order.

Currently you're suggesting something that it sounds like you haven't tried. I highly recommend testing this in your next game. Please report back how it goes.

I imagine that your game will be quite boring, because players won't be forced to make interesting choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
The choices will be different, not boring.

I'll try it, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People that hate dice shouldn't play dice games, lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things we have tried is this (and it works nicely)

-If you have no legal place to put a die you may place it on the 1 space. Any number of players may put dice on the 1 space this way.

That way you always get a little something for each die
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealtheshader wrote:

-If you have no legal place to put a die you may place it on the 1 space. Any number of players may put dice on the 1 space this way.

hmm... this got me thinking...
that the 1 space could award 2VP (or 1VP and a +2 token, OR 1VP and "welfare*" token, OR anything slightly better than 1 VP... YOU FIGURE IT OUT! ) to the guy who goes there first. Everyone else can go there w/ unused dice and get 1VP.

*welfare token - trade in 2(or 3?) for a good (gold or wood only?)

EDIT - Better idea. Leave space #1 at 1VP. Have an unused die be 1 welfare token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Sint-Lievens-Houtem
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's a dice placement game...
The only random part in that game is what you roll.
And the whole POINT of several buildings is to get tokens to modify your rolls.

Not sure what you're trying to achieve here. You can't play poker and let people choose their cards either.

At some point you're going too easy on people's feelings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Sint-Lievens-Houtem
flag msg tools
mbmb
therealtheshader wrote:

It invalidates some of the denial in the game, but at least this I can understand. You at least get *something* for a die otherwise lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance would be much easier to play without those pesky spies. I propose removing the spies from the game as a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
therealtheshader wrote:

I actually implemented a similar rule in Kingsport Festival, that is widely based on the same base dice placement mechanic, and it works.

If you really really want to have a diceless version of the game with the screens I would at least suggest this:

Each player has a pool of 36 "dice points" every 'year'. You don't roll the dice but you choose their values behind screens, then everyone reveals their dice and from there you proceed normally.

You need to keep track of how much you assigned as value to the dice for every season and for every point that exceeds 36 you lose 1 VP.

It's of course totally untested so I can' be sure it will work but it might be worth giving it a try...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To each their own of course, but I don't think the die rolling is too horrible in this game. Rolling low means gives you a fairly big advantage of going first (this advantage would also exist of course in your house rule version). There are many spaces on the board to modify bad rolls, these structures at least would have to be redesigned.

I just had a game of this last night where I think I rolled 1, 2, 3 for my three dice 5 of the first six turns, and then continued to roll sub 7 rolls for most of the game. The highest I ever got was a 15. With the spot that let me adjust up or down once per season, and the one that gives me the +2 marker once a year, I still managed to finish second out of 4 total people, and was only 4 spots back from the leader.

I had to change my normal strategy dramatically, as getting stone was super hard with the low rolls (for a long time I could only get it on the '6' spot). Going consistently first was actually super useful. If I had been rolling super low AND doubles/triples a lot more it could have been more annoying.

I like the rolling personally as it can make an advanced player change their strategy more on the fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.