Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today we ran an "Irish" themed Wits and Wagers Party game during our company's pot luck party.

While I had six teams of two participating, I had about 30 extra people at by end of the dinning room watching the event and cheering, and sometime heckling, the teams from the different departments.

Because of the large venue, I've had to custom make components for the game so they were easier to view from a distance.

I purchase a set of larger dry erase boards to replace the answer boards. The betting markers are large wooden tokens. Both the tokens and a dry erase boards were painted in team colors. A gold cap on one of the betting tokens indicates the x2 betting marker. I also bought some vinyl coated wire stands to prop up the teams' answer boards.

Game ready to run.

Close up of components.

We stuck with the seven question format, with the last question open to the bidding of chips.

I generated 12 questions for the event. One was used for practice, seven for the game, and four in backup just in case the crowd protests a question. I read the extra questions at the end as we clean up the stage (sort of free trivia for the onlookers who did not participate with the teams).

These were the questions used in today's Irish Themed Wits and Wagers Party (not in order). These was pulled from a variety of Irish heritage posts that appeared on the web in conjunction with St Patrick's Day this week.

1. How many Congressional Medal of Honor recipients were born in Ireland? A: 253

2.How many US towns are named Dublin? A:16

3. What year did St. Patrick die? A: 461

4. Of the 56 people who signed the Declaration of Independence, how many were born in Ireland? A: 9

5. In what year was the first St Patrick’s Day celebration in America? A: 1737, Boston (1st parade in 1762, NYC)

6. How many million Americans claim an Irish heritage? A: 34 million

7. What percentage of Boston claim an Irish heritage? A: 24%

8. What year were the Boston Celtic founded? A: 1946

9. If a pot of gold contained 1000 ounces of gold, how much would that be worth today? A: $1,229,000

10. For every pub in Ireland, there are how many people? A: 350

11. What year did the Philadelphia Phillies begin the tradition of wearing green uniforms on St Patrick’s Day? A: 1981

12. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, what is the most number of leaves ever found on a clover? A: 56

The Senior Supervisor Team were clearly playing to win, but one of the contractor teams gave them a run to for their money (or chips). In the end, both teams tied. I ran one extra question, closest to the right answer without going over won (no betting). And the Senior Supervisors won!

Needless to say, everyone in the company had a blast and are eagerly awaiting the next game.

For my other session reports on our Game Lunch Fridays at the Office, see my Game Lunch Fridays at the Office GeekList.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.