12 Posts

Mistfall» Forums » Rules

Subject: I don't get It, either (Celenthia, Solo hero, into the wild) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Squish
Germany
flag msg tools
I bought the german version during SPIEL last year and attempted the first quest (into the wild) a few times. I use the word attempted, because my chars were so beaten after the first encounter that restarted the game.

Fastforward to today: I've read the "Mistfall: a Learn to Play Guide (version 2.0)" document, "Mistfall players Guid" and some other threads and finally started a new try.
Since the Learn how to Play Guide used Celenthia I assumed it should be possible to use her as a single hero in the into the wild quest.
My expectations were uterly crushed after the first attack phase of the first encounter. Perhaps someone can tell me how I should have played her in the following encounter.
Because I own the german version the english card names will probably differ from my translation. Therefore I will add some additional card information if necessary.

Encounter:
Blood sacrifice, card 343
Victory condition, progressmarkers or all enemies are killed.
One progress marker kann be achived when any hero is healed. Celenthia doesn't have a healing action so every enemy needs to be killed.
Reinforcment marker is moved one space.

3 Enemies which are all brought into Celenthias hero area:
Ghoren-flinger/hurler
2 health, 2 physical damage, 2 physical defense, 1 magic defense, skirmisher
Trackhound?
3 health, 2 physical damage, 1 physical defense, 1 magic defense,
Relentles
Ghoren-warrior
3 health, 3 physical damage, 2 physical defense, 1 magic defense

None of the enemies have any vulerabilities.
In total I need to deal 3/4/4 magic damage to kill them and need to reduce the potential 7 physical damage to a minimum

I tried three different random starting hands but the end of the first round was more or less the same:
I killed the ghoren-warrior, put a daze token on the hound and prevent one damage. Therefore I still received two damage and needed to bury two cards in addition to 4 cards in the discard pile. In addition my enemiefocuse went up to at least 7 therefore increasing the reinforcements by one to the second field. During the reinforcement phase I draw another ghoren warrior who goes straight to my hero area. Therefore the difference to the first round is:
- I burned through 1/3 of my basic deck cards (with the option to use the scroll of wisdom)
- gained one resolve token since I killed one enemy.
- Still need to kill 3 enemies to win the encounter
I assumed, that I will only be able to kill one other enemey and could than buy an advanced feat for 2 resolve tokens. While achiviing this, the enemies will be enraged and the reinforcements will be pushed two 2 enemis making it unlikely to progress any further in the quest.

I just don't get it. Which combinations of cards would me allow to win this encounter.
I believe that I need to kill two enemies in each round to prevent a second reinforcement phase. I also must prevent that the reinforcment marker is pushed to the 3 field which causes 2 new enemies during the reinforcment phase in the second round.

Thanks for your time.

Off Topic:
This is the first game I ever played (read sitting at the table and trying to think of a working card combination/restarting the game) for hours without achieving anything. I just have the feeling that I'm missing something very important without being able to name it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You normally start with 1 resolve token.
So that can already help you.

Are you sure you had all three enemies in your hero space?
One might stay in the quest space.

As a general rule of thumb, I always play with two hero's then I can assign enemies based on their vulnarabilities or tricks of the hero itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
... ...
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should always retreat from an encounter if you're unable to beat it in one, possibly two rounds.

I played a solo game with Haereg today and acctualy had blood sacrifice as my first encounter as well.

All I did was kill one enemy and then retreat. This cost me some time and retreating damaged me but I could then rest up at the in and try a different path. The wasted time ended up not being an issue since I was playing solo.

Needless to say going a different route is not possible in into the wild but I think maelgar the Abomination might anyhow be a better beginners quest.

I do think playing a single hero is probably the most difficult way of tackling this game. Since I've played 25-30 games of Mistfall I do enjoy the challenge of it. Having said that I played two heros solo or multiplayer my first 20 or so times and I am really not sure I would have been able to get into it had I started off playing one handed.

So what I would recommend would be to play two heros against maelgar the Abomination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all Encounters are equal and in a solo game some characters are radically unsuited to some Encounters. If you don't have Arani, "Blood Sacrifice" is a very tough first Encounter: you won't have any Healing Potions yet, so you can't Progress the Encounter that way. The +1 Reinforcement Rate means that even if you kill 2 Enemies per turn, it'll take you 2 turns to complete the Encounter and that's the absolute best you can hope for.

Celenthia will struggle to kill 2 Enemies per turn with her starting Deck. "Magic Missile", fully boosted, will dish out 3 magical damage. If you use your starting 1 Resolve to buy "Arcane Infusion [1]", you can boost that to 4 and kill most Enemies. "Arcane Spark" could deal 2 magical damage to someone else and you could use the Resolve you earned by eliminating the first Enemy to buy another "Arcane Infusion [1]" to boost that to 3 - that would be enough to eliminate a Smallhorn or a Ragecaller. If you killed a Bloodtracker, you could use the 2 Resolve to buy "Aura of Shock F3 [2]" instead, which will buff all your Lightning damage from now on. "Channel Energy" can help you get these cards into your hand.

The problem is, you're still left with 1 Enemy in play and you've generated +7 Focus, so 2 Reinforcements are going to replace the guys you've just killed.

I can't see an obvious way out of this for Celenthia. Of course you could get lucky, and draw up Smallhorns and Ragecallers that you can eliminate easier - if you don't need to use the "Infusion [1]", the cost of your attacks might come in at under +7, in which case you'll only get a single Reinforcement and you only have to fight two Enemies next turn: if you eliminate them both, the Encounter ends because there are no Enemies in play.

Someone else suggested retreating. There's a lot to be said for this. If you can kill a weak Enemy and use the reward Resolve along with your starting Resolve, you can buy "Limited Teleport [2]" to dismiss the other Enemies to the Quest Area. Then all you have to deal with is the Time Penalty and 3 physical damage. Back at the Inn, you'll can heal that quickly and get the Teleport spell into your deck.

A house rule with solo games is to draw multiple Encounters and choose the best one. It stops you being stuck with an Encounter like "Blood Sacrifice" which contains conditions your Solo Hero cannot meet. I suggest drawing 3 Encounters in your first Location, 2 in your second Location and thereafter drawing normally (once a Solo Hero has powered up a bit, they should be able to adapt to problem Encounters - it's only the first couple of turns that pose the problem).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VanVlaenderenP wrote:
Are you sure you had all three enemies in your hero space?
One might stay in the quest space.

Celenthia starts with 4 Focus, so 3 Enemies will all enter her Hero Area, reducing her Focus to zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Squish
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your replies and especially deadmarlowe for thinking through the possibilities. I will choose two heros the next time I play the game. I already did this on my second game a few month ago but switched to single hero after reading the learn to play document. In addition I will have to remember the retreat option. At least if the location allows me to retreat, which I wasn't allowed to do yesterday. So I beasically hit a no go game with my single hero, the encounter and the location.

VanVlaenderenP wrote:
You normally start with 1 resolve token.
So that can already help you.

As a general rule of thumb, I always play with two hero's then I can assign enemies based on their vulnarabilities or tricks of the hero itself.

Thanks for the hint, regarding the starting resolve token. I missed it when I took a brief look at the setup rules yesterday.

deadmarlowe wrote:

The problem is, you're still left with 1 Enemy in play and you've generated +7 Focus, so 2 Reinforcements are going to replace the guys you've just killed.

I think that there would only be 1 reinforcement. At least if the track starts at 0 at the beginning of the game, since this would be the left most square. It would go from 0 to 1[1] due to the encounter and to 1[2] because of the enemey focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DSquish wrote:
I think that there would only be 1 reinforcement. At least if the track starts at 0 at the beginning of the game, since this would be the left most square. It would go from 0 to 1[1] due to the encounter and to 1[2] because of the enemey focus.

You're right!

That improves Celenthia's odds a bit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DSquish wrote:
Encounter:
Blood sacrifice, card 343
Victory condition, progressmarkers or all enemies are killed.
One progress marker kann be achived when any hero is healed. Celenthia doesn't have a healing action so every enemy needs to be killed.
Reinforcment marker is moved one space.

3 Enemies which are all brought into Celenthias hero area:
Ghoren-flinger/hurler
2 health, 2 physical damage, 2 physical defense, 1 magic defense, skirmisher
Trackhound?
3 health, 2 physical damage, 1 physical defense, 1 magic defense,
Relentles
Ghoren-warrior
3 health, 3 physical damage, 2 physical defense, 1 magic defense

None of the enemies have any vulerabilities.
In total I need to deal 3/4/4 magic damage to kill them and need to reduce the potential 7 physical damage to a minimum.

Let's think about this in depth.

Assume you have "Magic Missile" and "Arcane Spark" - or else you use "Channel Energy" until you get them.

"Magic Missile" kills the Slinger at range (use the Staff to pay for it and discard a card to max its damage output). You now have 2 Resolve (1 starting and +1 for eliminating the Slinger) so you buy "Aura of Shock F3 [2]" and deploy it.

Now for the Warrior. "Arcane Spark", boosted by a discard and the Shock Aura will do 3 damage, not quite enough to kill the Warrior. If you have the second "Arcane Spark" that will finish him off (unboosted, no need for discard, because of the bonus from the shock aura). If you've got a "Channel Energy", you can draw back your Staff and use it to put a Daze Condition on a survivor.

Optimal outcome: just the Tracker Hound left, perhaps Dazed and doing 1 damage (Bury a card from your discard pile).

Worst outcome: wounded Warrior and Tracker Hound left, dealing 5 damage. You're going to be Burying most of your discard pile, using up "Arcane Deflection", perhaps Burying from the top of your deck. Nasty.

DSquish wrote:
During the reinforcement phase I draw another ghoren warrior who goes straight to my hero area.

Unlucky. Fortunately, all your Lightning attacks are at +1 damage now, so a boosted "Magic Missile" can kill this thing outright. A single "Arcane Spark" will kill the remaining Warrior (assuming you didn't kill him last round). You should have 2 Resolve left. How to kill the Tracker Hound? You need to get an "Arcane Spark" back from your discard pile...

Your deck should be thin-to-nonexistent now. The Scroll of Wisdom will bring "Arcane Spark" back into your deck and "Channel Energy" should draw it back into your hand.

A single "Arcane Spark", boosted by a discard and again by the shock aura does 3 damage; if you spend 1 Resolve on an "Arcane Infusion [1]", you've done the 4 damage you need to eliminate the Hound.

Your deck is pretty much exhausted, but you've got 2 Resolve in hand, 2 Rewards to draw (tempting to turn them both into Resolve, buy "I Am The Storm F3 [4]" and start brewing up your apocalypse in time for the final Encounter) and you can spend some turns generating Restoration to un-Bury cards and restock your deck.

This is all assuming optimal draws, with plenty of "Arcane Deflection" and "Arcane Inspiration" cards to discard (remember "Inspiration" doesn't take up space in your hand - keep drawing until you get 5 non-"Inspiration" cards). It could go a lot worse than this

Edit: I tried this out and drew a shoddy starting hand (no "Inspiration", no "Channel Energy") so I had to allow the Warrior and the Hound to pound on me. However, with my deck exhausted, the Scroll worked a charm: back came the "Arcane Spark" into my deck, I draw it back with "Channel Energy" and killed the Hound. Arcane Discipline swaps the Scroll back into my discard pile. I'm left with a 5 card hand (including Staff), nothing in my deck, 2 in discard (Scroll and Arcane Spark) and 6 in Burial. Once I start healing I can move the Scroll into my deck, un-Bury other cards, then use the Scroll next turn to recycle the discard pile faster. All should be well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Squish
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks for playing through this challange. I hope you had some fun doing this.

So my main error was that I just choose a hero and wanted to start playing. This doesn't work with Mistfall. If you don't know the cards and the way they interact you will have a hard time playing this game. You will struggle to win the encounter and because you don't know the cards this will extremely slow down the game. So you need to get familiar with the hero before even setting up the game. Getting familiar with an unknown hero will probably take at least 30minutes or more likely the better part of an hour. Therefore this game will unfortunately end up in my solitary game collection.

Thanks again for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DSquish wrote:
So my main error was that I just choose a hero and wanted to start playing. This doesn't work with Mistfall. If you don't know the cards and the way they interact you will have a hard time playing this game. You will struggle to win the encounter and because you don't know the cards this will extremely slow down the game. So you need to get familiar with the hero before even setting up the game. Getting familiar with an unknown hero will probably take at least 30minutes or more likely the better part of an hour. Therefore this game will unfortunately end up in my solitary game collection.

Well that's one way of looking at it. Another is that the game has great depth and rewards replaying.

My analysis was just to show that, if you know her deck, Celenthia can overcome an Encounter she us badly suited to winning. While you're learning the gane and you don't know her deck that well, you'll either retreat from an Encounter like this or draw a different one instead.

I only play the game at standard difficulty. There are people on this site playing in Nightmare Mode. The game rewards your investment. There are some player guides in the file section to speed up familiarising yourself with character decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.