Where Eagles Dare» Forums » Rules

Subject: Range Modifiers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kent Henson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
The Direct Fire Rating Modifiers table isn't real clear, it looks as if the range modifiers are cumulative from one hex to the next. So if I'm direct firing at an unarmored target 4 hexes away, the modifier, as I'm reading it should be 0, -1, -1, -1 for a total of -3. Is this not correct?

And for an armored target at the same range, the modifier would be 0, -1, -1, -2 for a total of -4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ckhenson wrote:
The Direct Fire Rating Modifiers table isn't real clear, it looks as if the range modifiers are cumulative from one hex to the next. So if I'm direct firing at an unarmored target 4 hexes away, the modifier, as I'm reading it should be 0, -1, -1, -1 for a total of -3. Is this not correct?

And for an armored target at the same range, the modifier would be 0, -1, -1, -2 for a total of -4?

I'm not sure what table you are looking at. For an unarmored target it is -1 per hex except for the first hex. Kind of like you describe.

For an armored target, it is (0) 1 hex; (-2) last hex if > 1, (-1) all others. So not cumulative as you describe. At 4 hexes it would be -2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Richards
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That table confused me too until someone clarified it somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the discussion clarifying the range modification table for armored vs. unarmored targets. It really would be nice for this to be mentioned in the rules rather than just on a table. Hopefully they corrected this oversight with The Greatest Day: Sword, Juno, and Gold Beaches and GTS 2.0.

Direct Fire Armored Target Range Modifier

Our conclusion was that the 88's were the most powerful counter in the game. Wherever possible you probably want to try to take them out with your air support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Henson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm not sure what table you are looking at. For an unarmored target it is -1 per hex except for the first hex. Kind of like you describe.

For an armored target, it is (0) 1 hex; (-2) last hex if > 1, (-1) all others. So not cumulative as you describe. At 4 hexes it would be -2. [/q]

If you look on MMPs website and look at the GTS Rules v. 2.0a, you'll see that they have contradicted themselves, yet again, on how this rule is interpreted. I hope that it is a typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you looking at in the 2.0a rules?

I'm just doing a quick check. If I go to 15.6 (page 16) the example given seems to support the above. For armored targets there is no cumulative modifier (-2 if the guns range is 3 and the target is at 3 hexes), and for unarmored targets -1 for each hex of range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Henson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
autumnweave wrote:
Where are you looking at in the 2.0a rules?

I'm just doing a quick check. If I go to 15.6 (page 16) the example given seems to support the above. For armored targets there is no cumulative modifier (-2 if the guns range is 3 and the target is at 3 hexes), and for unarmored targets -1 for each hex of range.

Continue reading, from the same paragraph, "If firing at an unarmored
target at the same range, it would be -3 (total)on the firing strength (-1 for each hex of range)." It looks like they forgot that the first hex of range modifier is "0".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are absolutely correct. I did not read closely enough. I was just looking for the contrast between armored and unarmored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.