Subject: Is core game board too small? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the size of some of those map locations, 3 or 4 cubes will fill them up. How can a 26x19" board possibly host all those minis, let alone the add-ons. With the Early Bird, that costs $100 plus shipping. Another $50 for a the larger map that is *necessary* to have any hope of fitting the pieces is a non-starter for me. I'd rather print out a PDF on 8-1/2x11" card stock and tape them all together. Seriously.

What is the plan to deal with a board that is obviously too small -- maybe even with just cubes and all those tokens and standees?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stretch goal en route? Does seem odd to me that it's considerably smaller than my 1775 board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It fits in the box so it meets one definition of right size.whistle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
skifreak737 wrote:
Looking at the size of some of those map locations, 3 or 4 cubes will fill them up. How can a 26x19" board possibly host all those minis, let alone the add-ons. With the Early Bird, that costs $100 plus shipping. Another $50 for a the larger map that is *necessary* to have any hope of fitting the pieces is a non-starter for me. I'd rather print out a PDF on 8-1/2x11" card stock and tape them all together. Seriously.

What is the plan to deal with a board that is obviously too small -- maybe even with just cubes and all those tokens and standees?

The image of the map and game pieces on the kickstarter page is computer rendered. I wouldn't go by that.

There are other images around of a prototype of the game, and they have commented that the board size of those is smaller than what will be in the real game.

I would like to see some sort of video and/or image of the real thing though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
skifreak737 wrote:

The image of the map and game pieces on the kickstarter page is computer rendered. I wouldn't go by that.

There are other images around of a prototype of the game, and they have commented that the board size of those is smaller than what will be in the real game.

The board is 660x480cm. That's not tiny, but it's... Fun sized by most standards.

1775 is 480x1000ish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I mocked up the board size with some paper when I got home ... seems fine to me. Just one guy's opinion, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Braga
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
There are some prototype figures on their Facebook page from a while back. Not sure I want to post the image on here since it isn't final, but I feel the board size is fine after seeing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secretgeek2016 wrote:
There are some prototype figures on their Facebook page from a while back. Not sure I want to post the image on here since it isn't final, but I feel the board size is fine after seeing them.

The size is listed on the ks page. Why would that be inaccurate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:
skifreak737 wrote:

The board is 660x480cm. That's not tiny, but it's... Fun sized by most standards.

1775 is 480x1000ish

True. I just measured my 1775 board and it's about 950 x 480 mm.

If you measured from the "south" end of the board to about where Boston is on the 1775 map, that's roughly 660 mm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubes, OK for the most part.
Now, try sticking an army of 7 or 8 minis in most of those sites. Then move in an attacking army? Right...

And add a building or two. And a leader. Maybe the plan is to make an army nat for off the board, using the plastic leader figure on the map while placing the rest of the army on a mat with the leader's standee?

Whatever. I can't imagine how this will work when we've often had cube armies flooding the sites in the other games. If they were minis, the map would certainly be inadequate, to say the least.

So what is the plan? Why start with something inadequate and dangle a $50 add-on to fix the problem? If the core map will be enlarged as a stretch goal, I'd think that was a poorly conceived campaign approach.

OK, grumbling over. I've had GREAT previous experiences with the folks at Academy Games and will trust they haven't let us down. They put out high quality products and this game looks like it will be the Crown Jewel of the series. I just hope I don't have to choose between dropping $150 on it or using cubes instead of minis and saving $90, which is what I would probably have to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same concern as the OP. The board is about 2/3 the size of the 1775 board. That's small for an epic game of conquest. Maybe not too bad with cubes, but with minis they absolutely will be spilling over the borders of the regions.

I assume the idea is to keep most of the units off-map. Which kinda defeats the whole appeal of having minis in the first place, IMHO.

So I figure my options are to use the regular board, while ditching the minis to use cubes from another game, or drop $50 ($75 CDN) for the big map. Go big or go home, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Doupe wrote:
I have the same concern as the OP. The board is about 2/3 the size of the 1775 board. That's small for an epic game of conquest. Maybe not too bad with cubes, but with minis they absolutely will be spilling over the borders of the regions.

I assume the idea is to keep most of the units off-map. Which kinda defeats the whole appeal of having minis in the first place, IMHO.

So I figure my options are to use the regular board, while ditching the minis to use cubes from another game, or drop $50 ($75 CDN) for the big map. Go big or go home, I guess.

Exactly. But I will not go big, not when it will cost at least $90 more. Sad there is no response here, on KS, or on FB. How could someone start a KS, have it fund in less than an hour, and in less than 12 hours raise $135,000 from over 1,500 backers and not even post a quick update with a word of thanks?!? Then there are the unanswered questions. Not liking this. At all. I don't care how busy the folks at Academy are or where they've been, don't start a major campaign only to ignore it the first day. Yikes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point, I'm not sure if I'm in on it... unless Academy lets me have the core game WITH the cubes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
At this point, I'm not sure if I'm in on it... unless Academy lets me have the core game WITH the cubes...

A few of us have posted that exact question on the KS page. I'll take cubes over the plastic minis any day, actually.

According to Uwe's KS post, $5 for the cubes as an add-on, now that the 15mm plastic figures are a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:

Academy finally answered some questions in comment on KS. Minis will come in all copies of the game, but a set of cubes can be bought for $5.00.
They aren't concerned about army sizes because armies will be placed on an "invasion card."

I better read the rule book, as there are apparently some significant rules differences from other games in the series. Sounds like there won't be a lot of "dudes on the map"? Also said there won't likely be more than two leaders on the map for very long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't quibble over five bucks, but it seems weird to pay to have the cubes added 'back' into the game. I bet they have cubes coming out of their ears... just leave them in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skifreak737 wrote:

Frank,

I've only played on the prototype, which is smaller than the final version, and it never seemed we were out of room. Since the big clot of army's are usually linked with a viking leader, we just kept that clot on the invasion card.

At no point did it ever feel as congested as Rhode Island or Connecticut gets on the 1775 map.

We'd be happy to sell you a giant map, but I don't think you'll need it.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a prototype at GenCon last year and with hordes of cubes coming at us, we still never had a lack of room for cubes. But I did wonder how the miniatures would fit onto the game board. I concluded the big map was for the minis and the box map was for the cubes. The minis will be nice, but I will spend the $5 to get the cubes back. It might turn out the minis will be just fine, but I know at least from experience that the cubes work well with the boxed components. Personally, I planned to get the leader minis and cubes for the hordes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
I won't quibble over five bucks, but it seems weird to pay to have the cubes added 'back' into the game. I bet they have cubes coming out of their ears... just leave them in!

Especially since the cubes cost a penny or two each wholesale (I've got lots of manufacturer game quotes to back that figure up). I dropped out of the KS, however, only because of the total cost with shipping (and cubes back in) would be close to C$100 with the exchange rate, probably $40 more than it'll hit retail shelves for up here. I can wait. Still a lovely looking game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, David - it is a lovely game, but I will wait as well (not liking the latest Berserker minis). And now the units will be minis but the cards will show the cubes... Anyway, I just saw Academy's 1812 and 1775 for around $40 each on Miniature Market.com, so it is just a matter of time. PS, I see you live in a city called Waterloo - one of my favorite gaming topics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Waiting is certainly an option, but you'll be paying a lot extra at retail if you are interested in any of the stretch goal extras (Viking Age stuff and kickstarter free stuff). So keep that in mind.

I guess if none of that stuff interests you, then waiting is certainly something to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msgt pepe wrote:
1775 for around $40 each on Miniature Market.com, so it is just a matter of time.
That's some good price - online retailers here charge about $68 (before shipping) for that one, so $75 for Vikings, including shipping and expansion, seems like a good deal to me.

Just worried they'll run the kickstarter as badly as they did the Mare Nostrum one (bad at communication, asking backers for their opinion, then going with the opposite option to the majority, major delays - out of my 60 kickstarters so far, that was my most disappointing one, and put me off so much that the game hasn't even hit the table yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Densham
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unic wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:
1775 for around $40 each on Miniature Market.com, so it is just a matter of time.
That's some good price - online retailers here charge about $68 (before shipping) for that one, so $75 for Vikings, including shipping and expansion, seems like a good deal to me.

Just worried they'll run the kickstarter as badly as they did the Mare Nostrum one (bad at communication, asking backers for their opinion, then going with the opposite option to the majority, major delays - out of my 60 kickstarters so far, that was my most disappointing one, and put me off so much that the game hasn't even hit the table yet).

A fair description Ola.

The difference this time will be that Academy is in complete control of the production of the game. Without going into detail, Academy did not own the game nor much of the production.

So if it's late, we are to blame, and if it's on time, that's us as well. Only time will tell, but since some production has already begun, we are fairly confident we'll have the games in August.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim of Academy wrote:
unic wrote:
msgt pepe wrote:

A fair description Ola.

The difference this time will be that Academy is in complete control of the production of the game. Without going into detail, Academy did not own the game nor much of the production.

So if it's late, we are to blame, and if it's on time, that's us as well. Only time will tell, but since some production has already begun, we are fairly confident we'll have the games in August.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. I've enjoyed great service and communication (other than yesterday) from my recent dealings with Academy games. Very excited about this new release! (But still concerned about fitting those minis on the map, but if it was not a problem in your play testing, then...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Durante
Canada
Etobicoke
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll hold onto my pledge for the next few days and see what transpires closer to the end of the campaign... I dunno. I'm cool with the whole cube thing but would like the minis if the board could support them. I'm not kicking in $50 for a board.

Does anyone know if those faction trays are housing for just the cubes? They seem mighty small to store your mini's, dice and cards.. Why would they make a stretch goal for a tray that houses cubes that are not in the game as the minis are a goal before the trays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.