United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You were expecting something witty?
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in a recent game.

The CGR has formed with 5% shares. Let's say the cert limit is 16.

I currently own shares that add up to 15.5 certificates. Can I buy one more share of a (10%) public company, which would put me at 16.5 certs?

From the rulebook:
CGR Share limits
If more than 10 CGR shares are issued, each CGR share counts as only half a certificate. Players may then hold up to 12 CGR shares and the open market may hold up to 10 shares. Players may hold one half certificate above the current stock limits, but players may not purchase a half share if they are currently at their limit.

I interpret the bolded part to mean:
- If I already have 16, I can't buy 0.5 shares more.
- If I only have 15.5 (i.e. 0.5 below my limit), I CAN buy 1 share more.

I can't find any other rule that would contradict this.

Or does this rule really apply only to what happens to player's shares as the CGR is forming? Otherwise, how would someone ever be a half share over?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can I buy one more share?
k1nu wrote:
This came up in a recent game.

The CGR has formed with 5% shares. Let's say the cert limit is 16.

I currently own shares that add up to 15.5 certificates. Can I buy one more share of a (10%) public company, which would put me at 16.5 certs?

From the rulebook:
CGR Share limits
If more than 10 CGR shares are issued, each CGR share counts as only half a certificate. Players may then hold up to 12 CGR shares and the open market may hold up to 10 shares. Players may hold one half certificate above the current stock limits, but players may not purchase a half share if they are currently at their limit.

I interpret the bolded part to mean:
- If I already have 16, I can't buy 0.5 shares more.
- If I only have 15.5 (i.e. 0.5 below my limit), I CAN buy 1 share more.

I can't find any other rule that would contradict this.

Or does this rule really apply only to what happens to player's shares as the CGR is forming? Otherwise, how would someone ever be a half share over?
I think you've answered your own question. I interpret what you've bolded the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephe Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are at least two different versions of the 1856 rules that have been supplied with new sets. The one I have (supplied with earlier sets, but confusingly with a later publication date than the other version I have seen) doesn't feature the sentence quoted in bold by the OP.

So, if we're playing to my rules, you can't buy a full certificate when half a certificate under limit. But if we're playing to your rules, you can.

I think that this is the only substantive difference between the two rules set, but on that point I am open to correction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Barrese
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for posting this! When I read the rules I thought the stock limit to which it referred was the no more than 60% in one company limit, which made no sense since they explicitly stated that the limit was 12 CGR half certificates in the line before...

Now that I know what this rule is trying to get at, I think your interpretation of it is correct, you may buy a full share if you are a half share beneath the stock limit (but not buy a half share if you are at the stock limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You were expecting something witty?
mbmbmbmbmb
maisnestce wrote:
There are at least two different versions of the 1856 rules that have been supplied with new sets. The one I have (supplied with earlier sets, but confusingly with a later publication date than the other version I have seen) doesn't feature the sentence quoted in bold by the OP.

Yes, I have recently confirmed this. I now believe the correct ruling is to NOT allow this extra 0.5 share, as the revised rules deleted this sentence. My OP was quoting the online rules on Mayfair's website. Those rules are dated "(C) 1992". However, my printed rules, which say "(C) 1992, 1995" -- so, later -- do not have this rule, as you point out.

Unfortunately the "1856 Rules Clarifications and Amendments" page on 18xx.net are silent on this issue, so no independent confirmation there.

I have changed the title of this thread to be a little more descriptive in case someone is searching...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.