4 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Crypsis virus counter limit and when to strengthen icebreaker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe Joe
msg tools
Hi all,

New to Netrunner and loving it but have a couple questions. I apologize if they have been answered.

1. Is there a limit to the number of virus counters that can be placed on Crypsis? 1, 10, infinity (and beyond)?

2. During a run, are you required to strengthen your icebreaker(s) before the corporation rezzes their ice?
First run yesterday (with Crypsis) and we agreed that the runner should strengthen icebreaker(s) prior to the corp rezzing ice. Thematically, the idea being the runner doesn't know what they are up against, so has to prep their software prior. It cost me a couple credits needlessly due to the fact that I over-strengthened my icebreaker. The rule book seems to imply that icebreakers can be strengthened during approach OR during the encounter.

p. 33
2.3: Approached ice can be rezzed, paid abilities can be triggered, non-ice cards can be rezzed.
3.1: Icebreakers can interact with encountered ice, paid abilities can be triggered.

Since adding strength is a paid ability it stands to reason that a runner can strengthen during approach or during encounter. Credits are dear to us runners so I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mojowtm wrote:
Hi all,

New to Netrunner and loving it but have a couple questions. I apologize if they have been answered.

1. Is there a limit to the number of virus counters that can be placed on Crypsis? 1, 10, infinity (and beyond)?

No. Of course, since it takes actions to load them up, and they're vulnerable to the corp purging, you're rarely going to go above about three.

Quote:
2. During a run, are you required to strengthen your icebreaker(s) before the corporation rezzes their ice?

No, it's the opposite. The runner sees what they're facing and then uses the tool for the job. The reason you can do it while approaching is that many icebreakers, especially outside the core set, have paid effects that allow you to do things. An example in the core set is Femme Fatale, who can bypass a chosen piece of ice by paying some number of credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the exception of certain icebreakers (notably those in the Shaper Suite CORE set), icebreakers lose all boosts after encountering an ICE.

The flowchart on the back of the rules is very helpful to a new player understanding when to pay for what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Vaduva
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game! Hope you find it as wonderful as I have.

mojowtm wrote:
First run yesterday (with Crypsis) and we agreed that the runner should strengthen icebreaker(s) prior to the corp rezzing ice. Thematically, the idea being the runner doesn't know what they are up against, so has to prep their software prior. It cost me a couple credits needlessly due to the fact that I over-strengthened my icebreaker.

The other responses cover the correct rule. I'd like to address the thematic aspect. I can see what you mean about prepping software, but in Netrunner, the runner just has to be ready for the ice with some kind of solution or face the consequences. It gets at the same thing you were thinking, but the runner is only required to an icebreaker that can deal with the ice or risk the consequences. Once they have the right icebreaker, it's just a matter of cost to use it.

They might still get in a situation where they cannot afford to break even if they have the appropriate tool. So, there's still some surprise.

You're idea is still neat. Maybe a designer will make a set of slightly more efficient icebreakers, that you have to predict how much you'll need to pump it before the ice is rezzed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.