Subject: Starmarket card costs 5 instead of 4 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vitalii Tiutiunnyk
Ukraine
London, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the new edition of Year 1 Promo Pack Starmarket card costs 5, while in the original version and in the digital game it costs 4.
I couldn't find any explanation on that one and decided to contact White Wizard support directly. Here is the reply I got:
Quote:
"It wasn't intended as errata, meaning, we are not planning to change how the card works, nor were we at any point planning to. You just play with whatever version you have."

I am wondering whether it is just my bad knowledge of English or that sounds as a complete nonsense, i.e. it was NOT a mistake/errata, they were NOT planning to change the card, but the card somehow became different.

Does anyone understand what that reply could mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
illegal wrote:
In the new edition of Year 1 Promo Pack Starmarket card costs 5, while in the original version and in the digital game it costs 4.
I couldn't find any explanation on that one and decided to contact White Wizard support directly. Here is the reply I got:
Quote:
"It wasn't intended as errata, meaning, we are not planning to change how the card works, nor were we at any point planning to. You just play with whatever version you have."

I am wondering whether it is just my bad knowledge of English or that sounds as a complete nonsense, i.e. it was NOT a mistake/errata, they were NOT planning to change the card, but the card somehow became different.

It means it's a typo and they don't plan to shill out to replace the card.

I was pretty annoyed, but on the other hand, as someone who's played thousands of games, Starmarket could use a mild nerfing, like costing 1 more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Bollmann
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Errata" specifically refers to a change to an existing card in the sense that you play with different rules than what's printed on the card. If they had errata'd the card to cost 5, that would be taken to mean that everyone should play this card as if it cost 5, even though it's printed as 4. This is done either to communicate to players "hey, we think we messed up here and think the game works better with this change", or to affect the rules for tournament play.

The quoted reply just says that this is not their intention. If you play with a 5-cost Starmarket, it costs 5, but if you play with a 4-cost one, it costs 4.

Granted, it says nothing about why these different versions exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JW
Australia
Doncaster
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this same question on the the Facebook (A Star Realms Fan Created Community Page) page.

The official Star Realms word is that you play with whichever one you want/have.

But I also got a reply from Darwin Kastle himself:
"The good news is that it affects both players equally, so from a competitive balance perspective, it's fine either way. If we had printed it at 3 that might be a problem, because it would be way too good and the player getting it would have a big advantage. I don't think that's a problem at 4 or 5, and I think it's playable at both costs.

The most balanced cost would probably be about 4.5, but since that's not an option, I prefer 4. I would play with whatever is printed on the version that comes up as you play, but 4 is probably "more correct". If/when we print it again, we will probably print it at 4 again."

To further enforce that 4 is probably the 'more correct' cost, the online app still has the version which costs 4. Also, on http://www.starrealms.com/card-gallery/ , if you search for Starmarket under the 'physical cards', you also get the version which costs 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
illegal wrote:
Quote:

It means it's a typo and they don't plan to shill out to replace the card.

I was pretty annoyed, but on the other hand, as someone who's played thousands of games, Starmarket could use a mild nerfing, like costing 1 more.

It's already extremely powerful at 5, I'm baffled that it's supposed to cost 4. Wow.

Also, poor communication skill on their part, that's surprising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.