Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why doesn't anyone make generic player screens? Some games have really terrible screens (ie many versions of modern art). Some are flimsy, some are too short, some are too narrow, some are ugly, some don't utilize their space, etc.

It would be nice to have one. Some features I was thinking:

-having a roof (ie the Palaces of Cararra have nice screens)
-deconstructable for easy storage
-having a transparent piece of plastic attached to the inside main panel and maybe outside main panel where you could slip in images on the outside for more thematic flare and useful cheat sheets on the inside.

Hidden trackable information, blah blah blah...

Please let someone decide to make one of these for a reasonable cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
The games I own with player screens, Roll for the Galaxy and Dancing Dice, display pertinent information on the inside. How would a generic screen work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
The games I own with player screens, Roll for the Galaxy and Dancing Dice, display pertinent information on the inside. How would a generic screen work?

I was thinking a wooden screen for durability and stability.

Having a transparent piece of plastic attached (glued?) to the inside main panel where you could slip in printed off cheat sheets on the inside of this attached plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Closser
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This might be what you're looking for but be warned, they are spendy.

https://wyrmwoodgaming.com/product-category/products/game-ma...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a really good idea. Especially the being able to print player aids for the inside and something thematic for the outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Msrrick wrote:

Except I don't actually see a screen here. I just see some dice trays, weird towers of chests, and non-descript "panels".

I mean, I think what OP might be looking for is something like what Mysterium has - a stand up screen that has slots that you can put cards (or player aids if they were larger) in.

So imagine this, but with just a few slots that you could drop player aides into:

I'm assuming the main complaint that OP has is that the existing hidden screens on some games just aren't big enough or fall over?

Like, Revolution! has a pretty low screen, but I've actually not had an issue with it not doing its appointed job during a game:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
I'm assuming the main complaint that OP has is that the existing hidden screens on some games just aren't big enough or fall over?

yes, exactly, and it would be nice to have some generic screens for games that don't come with screens. Some games have currency that you hide by flipping a tile. I changed the currency to something I find more attractive/thematic, but it's not longer a chit that can be flipped to hide the currency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
Msrrick wrote:

Except I don't actually see a screen here. I just see some dice trays, weird towers of chests, and non-descript "panels".

You have to hover over the pics, the pieces are modular

You can see them in this Dice Tower walk through at PAX East 2017;
https://youtu.be/s2VO3Wo7yQ8?t=1m57s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Closser
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The tower and trays are optional pieces that can be part of a system of panels which is one of the reasons I brought up the spendy part. It's completely modular with magnets and can be customized to the individual games needs. It was originally a kick starter and they had a video on it I believe. I'm not positive but I think Matt Mercer may use one, or something similar on Geek and Sundry's Critical Role. Another thought would be to check the RPG geek side of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The RPG suggestion is the way to go . Some DM's have made amazing screens from scratch and they are purposely made to accommodate different games systems to.
Found this one with simple google-fu http://makezine.com/2017/01/03/building-the-ultimate-dungeon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:
hestiansun wrote:
Msrrick wrote:

You have to hover over the pics, the pieces are modular

You can see them in this Dice Tower walk through at PAX East 2017;
https://youtu.be/s2VO3Wo7yQ8?t=1m57s

Wow. Honestly that's incredibly poor website design. To only show how those components fit together to create a screen by mouse over images will leave more than just me wondering why their page says "screen" but no image is of an actual screen.

Seeing that image, it looks nice but agreed - several hundred dollars for a screen seems very excessive for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.