Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Hero Realms» Forums » General

Subject: apology to WWG about art rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
When HR was being previewed on Kickstarter I was disappointed about what looked like a sexist art direction. I was already upset about some of the art in Epic, and HR didn't seem like an improvement. Since then I've trashed it a couple of times for having sexist art, on the basis of those previews.

I was more wrong than right. I played a game today (I was the Ranger. I didn't have a clue! Fighter beat me badly...) & had a good look through, it's actually a LOT better than Epic, and better than many games. Much less sexualised/annoying art of women on the cards than I expected, and the chance to play every character as a woman or man in the character packs.

So I take it back. Sorry, WWG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I think HR is muche better than most fantasy themed games in that regard. I know when dealing with this subject there's always someone who argues there's nothing wrong in depicting the human body, etc. and I very much agree in principle, but I think it is safe to say we have a problem when we see something like this: http://www.digitalamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Arm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Greylag,

No one cares about your thoughts on sexist art.

Thanks,
Kyle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
greylag wrote:
When HR was being previewed on Kickstarter I was disappointed about what looked like a sexist art direction. I was already upset about some of the art in Epic, and HR didn't seem like an improvement. Since then I've trashed it a couple of times for having sexist art, on the basis of those previews.

I was more wrong than right. I played a game today (I was the Ranger. I didn't have a clue! Fighter beat me badly...) & had a good look through, it's actually a LOT better than Epic, and better than many games. Much less sexualised/annoying art of women on the cards than I expected, and the chance to play every character as a woman or man in the character packs.

So I take it back. Sorry, WWG!

We fell into a bit of a trap. Since we had zero complaints about sexist depictions in Star Realms, we thought we had figured it all out.

Clearly hubris burns well on the fires of complacency. Or something like that. (It's late.)

But we did make an effort, and I'm happy it's been noticed! Thank you for your kind words.

Now I *did* have a retcon regarding the cleric's high-heeled boots, but I'll leave that for another day. Perhaps a time when you all feel like having your intelligence insulted.

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IanWWG wrote:
Now I *did* have a retcon regarding the cleric's high-heeled boots, but I'll leave that for another day.

I'll look forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Owen
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm so glad you wrote this, because I'm trying to check out the portrayal of women in the artwork before I buy any games. So now I know that this one won't piss me off. It can now go on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.