16 Posts

Mistfall: Heart of the Mists» Forums » General

Subject: First Quest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Hewlett
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hi, I had a couple of questions from attempting the first quest with two friends (I have played original mistfall a few times, they have not).

We had Elatha, Valkea and I was Durgen. First location spawned 7 enemies, all with 3 or mostly 4 health, mostly 4 attack and two physical defense. We found it far too difficult to kill them all, it took us two rounds to do so and at the end we were all basically dead (2-3 cards left). Should it be this difficult? The original Mistfall never got remotely this difficult, even if we weren't playing this game quite as skillfully. Durgen was reasonable, I found he had nice combos and he killed most of the enemies but the other two stuggled to do anything, a big attack was only 4 or so damage, which would only half-health a single enemy out of the two or so we were each fighting.

I've heard that Sigraed is good on this forum, but looking through his cards he seems to have very little damage initially and indeed often burns himself/ his allies, is there something I'm missing or does he depend on his advanced feats to fight well?

Lastly, Eredai, if he goes to [Q] at the start of each defence phase does he not attack anyone? If so why does it explicitly state that he increases his own attack as well as that of the other hunters?

Cheers for any advice you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
... ...
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar experience my first time.
For me the problem was that we didn't play with allies. They really allow you alot of new possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Feral_Wolf wrote:
We had Elatha, Valkea and I was Durgen. First location spawned 7 enemies, all with 3 or mostly 4 health, mostly 4 attack and two physical defense. We found it far too difficult to kill them all, it took us two rounds to do so and at the end we were all basically dead (2-3 cards left). Should it be this difficult? The original Mistfall never got remotely this difficult, even if we weren't playing this game quite as skillfully.

HotM is more difficult than Mistfall: the monsters are a bit tougher and the Heroes start off a bit weaker.

There's a school of thought that says that if you can't strike down an Encounter in a single turn, you should retreat from it (after killing enough Enemies to limit the damage they do to you and earn some Resolve).

Feral_Wolf wrote:
Durgen was reasonable, I found he had nice combos and he killed most of the enemies but the other two stuggled to do anything, a big attack was only 4 or so damage, which would only half-health a single enemy out of the two or so we were each fighting.

Try Progressing early Encounters rather than fighting through them. Elatha can get Marks onto two Enemies by discarding "Assessment" as a damage buffer (perhaps using Resolve to buy "Weighed & Measured [1]" if she doesn't have two "Assessment" cards) and then her Exploit Weakness ability can add 1 Progress token to the Encounter.

Valkea can do this too with her Prepared ability - she just needs to discard objective tokens from her own cards; she can add these herself using "Build Momentum" or Durgen could place one using "Imbue Weapon".

[If you play with Sigraed, her Guidance of the Goddess ability can add a progress token too and of she buys "Grace of Dawn [1]" then she can add 2.]

Feral_Wolf wrote:
I've heard that Sigraed is good on this forum, but looking through his cards he seems to have very little damage initially and indeed often burns himself/ his allies, is there something I'm missing or does he depend on his advanced feats to fight well?

Sigraed shouldn't be worried about building up a big stack of Burned Conditions on her Charter. Once she gets the Ring of Dawnfire she becomes partially immune and once she can afford "Inner Fire F3 [3]" or "Mercy of the Flames [3]" she can generate amazing healing for herself and others based on how many Burned Conditions she has.

Sigraed's biggest problem is that, by putting Burned Conditions on Enemies, she only eliminates them at the end of the Defence Phase, so she gets attacked a lot. Sigraed's trajectory is usually to blaze through her deck and be at death's door before her big healing cards come out and reverse this decline.

Feral_Wolf wrote:
Lastly, Eredai, if he goes to Q at the start of each defence phase does he not attack anyone? If so why does it explicitly state that he increases his own attack as well as that of the other hunters?

He only goes back to the Quest Area when his starting side is face up. His flip side doesn't do this. Eredai activates on his first turn, causes all Hunter Enemies to get an extra attack, then he runs away and flips. Next turn, he enters the Hero Area again, but this time he buffs the damage done by Hunters (including himself), then he flips again but stays in the Hero Area. Next turn he'll double activate his minions and run away again. Eredai basically alternates between these two tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Hewlett
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Cheers man, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Valkea and Melekai with 2 more allies, but many encounters end up lasting for 4 rounds
I'm still learning...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valkea and Melekai are both slow starters and they don't synergize well at the start of the game either. Valkea plays best with Durgen and Melekai with Elatha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
IMO, Valkea has the coolest story, coolest deck idea, yet is hardest to play. I've never been able to get the deck to really hum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CthulhuKid wrote:
IMO, Valkea has the coolest story, coolest deck idea, yet is hardest to play. I've never been able to get the deck to really hum.

You're absolutely right about Valkea.

One way to make her more fluid while you're exploring how her deck plays is to house rule that her charter ability moves her Spear to your hand, not to the top of her deck. That frees you up to focus on her tactics and not the problem of how to get her Weapon out again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No wonder I'm struggling so badly
But still enjoying the game.
I wonder what's the design philosophy about her...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jupiter999 wrote:
I wonder what's the design philosophy about her...

She strikes me as a character with powerful endgame effects:

She can strip away a Special Enemy's Physical Defence with "Focused Thrust" (boosted by "Perseverance F3 [2]") which is deadly if Valkea has picked up a Dagger (or a stack of Swords which can be deployed and discarded)

She can remove Dazed opponents with "Spear of Thunder [2]" or damage them with "Whirling Spear [3]" - but you probably need "Blunt Riposte F3 [3]" to make these work

"Myrmidon Push [4]" potentially deals 8 damage

All of these effects are quite situational and require Advanced Feats. I feel that Valkea's Feats tend to be too costly - most strike me as 'over priced' compared to what other Heroes get for the same Resolve-cost. This is particularly because most of them have strict requirements in terms of having certain Weapons or a Shield in play or having to discard Focus cards.

(For example, "Blunt Riposte F3 [3]" sounds great until you notice that it only works after an Enemy in Valkea's Area has been dealt damage by one of Valkea's Weapons - not her "Pummel" ability. Those are substantial restrictions on a 3-Resolve card that only does what Melekai, Sigraed and Durgen get to do with their Maces as a matter of course.)

It's almost as if Valkea has been reversed-engineered: the designer started off with what Valkea's supposed to be able to accomplish at the end of the game and worked backwards to her starting setup, but this leaves her underpowered at the start of the game. My abiding reaction to playing Valkea is frustration that she is unable to use various powers because she doesn't have the other cards in play to make them work. Of course, a frustrating character is also a fulfilling one (see Hareag in the original Mistfall).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Hewlett
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Yeah, I definitely got the feeling that she is for those endgame high defense enemies that are so hard to fight. But Sigraed can do that anyway, what with the damage from burns ignoring resistances. Will try her out this weekend with Durgen and Melakai to see how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feral_Wolf wrote:
Will try her out this weekend with Durgen and Melakai to see how it works.

She plays nicely with Durgen (as her backstory suggests she should). He can use Weapon Mastery during Valkea's turn as it's a Reflex, enabling her to draw back her Spear. This makes SUCH a difference to Valkea's playability that Durgen should do this every turn until Valkea gets two Spears she can alternate.

Similarly, Durgen's Forge Hammer can set Valkea up with 2 objective tokens on her Weapons - but even "Imbue Weapon" is cool enough to add 1 token, which Valkea could then discard to activate her Prepared ability and Progress the Encounter.

Basically, Durgen removes a good half of the frustrations and limitations Valkea suffers from. Their partnership gets even sweeter when "Striking Weapon [2]" boosts one of Valkea's Weapons' damage by the amount of objective tokens discarded from it - or "Smithing Focus F3 [3]" to boost massively the amount of objective tokens Valkea can add to her Weapons.

Valkea doesn't do much to return the favours. "Stand Fast [1]" can protect another Hero and let them draw a card or add an objective - but Durgen doesn't usually need help to do this.

Melekai just lurks, occasionally making monsters kill each other, adding a few Dazed Conditions that Valkea can exploit and building a healer deck with “Life Drain F3 [1]” for his personal use and “Healing Shadows [2]” for party restoration - and Durgen and Valkea will both need healing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
There is one thing I know Melekai is good for:

Raising threat and the reinforcements track.

I would burn so much focus with that guy...but the destruction, oh the destruction...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CthulhuKid wrote:
There is one thing I know Melekai is good for:

Raising threat and the reinforcements track.

I would burn so much focus with that guy...but the destruction, oh the destruction...

Ha ha. Yes, no disrespect to Melelkai in his Angel-of-Death mode. I just meant that, with Durgen & Valkea, he's more needed as a healer and protector, since the pair of them have no restoration and Durgen in particular lacks protection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some nice tips.
Thanks guys.
So far I just playing Valkea and Melekai.
There are so much more to learn about these characters' abilities, not to mention other un-played one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Hewlett
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I played Melekai and Elatha, so much damage potential and decent defense, especially when Eletha gets her 'Giant Slayer' advanced feat and almost one-shots the special enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.