Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Grimslingers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reactivate in 3rd Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Fadigan
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Was the automatic reactivation phase removed in 3rd Edition?

The only reference to reactivation, is now the Standoff option, in which 3EP will get you back 5 cards of choice.

Is that now the ONLY way to reactivate cards?

If not - the 3rd Edition rulebook, should let us know how and when that happens.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ACE23 wrote:
Was the automatic reactivation phase removed in 3rd Edition?

The only reference to reactivation, is now the Standoff option, in which 3EP will get you back 5 cards of choice.

Is that now the ONLY way to reactivate cards?

If not - the 3rd Edition rulebook, should let us know how and when that happens.



Yes it was removed. You have reload (anima ability) to get back 4 spells for 3 EP, and reactivate to get back any 5 deactivated cards for 3 ep.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr, Figoli
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mb
But... if now reactivating cards are almost the same than reloading cards (Slighty better), cards that deactive cards (Like "Wind") will not be too powerful? And effects that cost deactivating cards like Surge will not be sort of less useful?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MakoURU wrote:
But... if now reactivating cards are almost the same than reloading cards (Slighty better), cards that deactive cards (Like "Wind") will not be too powerful? And effects that cost deactivating cards like Surge will not be sort of less useful?


It plays differently, yeah. Wind is more powerful, but not more powerful than any other element. I'd say it's as useful now as it was before.

Surge isn't any less useful, but when you use it is important.

It's all been tested and works, it'll just take you some time to figure out how to best strategize with the new rules.

For instance, if you have 2 cards in your deactivate pile, that's a great time to surge, and then reactivate on the next turn. Even better if you surge with earth or water to ensure your energy costs are covered.

Say your opponent has 3 cards in discard but 0 in deactivate. It'd be best to hit them with wind over fire because if you hit them with fire, that'd give them an opportunity for the most efficient reload they can do. But if you hit them with deactivate it's going to force them to either reload/reactivate inefficiently, or go a turn or two more with a significantly reduced hand before reloading/reactivating in order to get the most efficieny when doing so.

Hope that makes sense. Basically, yes things are different but they play out well and there's a whole new strategy to discarding and deactivating. It's also way easier for newcomers to learn because the old deactivate system confused most people.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Fadigan
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I like it. It certainly will make teaching it to my players tonight, a bit easier.

I'll issue a play report, letting you know what they think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr, Figoli
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mb
ssgibson wrote:
MakoURU wrote:
But... if now reactivating cards are almost the same than reloading cards (Slighty better), cards that deactive cards (Like "Wind") will not be too powerful? And effects that cost deactivating cards like Surge will not be sort of less useful?


It plays differently, yeah. Wind is more powerful, but not more powerful than any other element. I'd say it's as useful now as it was before.

(...)


Yeah, i get that, i only concern about now there are feel like two discard piles, and before there was two very distinct game mechanism (And i like it, a lot). Sound a little harsh having to pay the same cost for deactivated cards than for recover discarded cards, and now the anima abilities are like any other ability in the standoff.

Love the other new rules for the Draw and Aftermath phase, maybe i have to give a chance to the new Standoff rules also. Thanks for the response, great game, keep it up!

P.S. : There is a relase date for the 3.0 Tall Tales rules?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MakoURU wrote:
ssgibson wrote:
MakoURU wrote:
But... if now reactivating cards are almost the same than reloading cards (Slighty better), cards that deactive cards (Like "Wind") will not be too powerful? And effects that cost deactivating cards like Surge will not be sort of less useful?


It plays differently, yeah. Wind is more powerful, but not more powerful than any other element. I'd say it's as useful now as it was before.

(...)


Yeah, i get that, i only concern about now there are feel like two discard piles, and before there was two very distinct game mechanism (And i like it, a lot). Sound a little harsh having to pay the same cost for deactivated cards than for recover discarded cards, and now the anima abilities are like any other ability in the standoff.

Love the other new rules for the Draw and Aftermath phase, maybe i have to give a chance to the new Standoff rules also. Thanks for the response, great game, keep it up!

P.S. : There is a relase date for the 3.0 Tall Tales rules?


I'm hoping by the end of next week for the Tall Tales portion.

Anima ability are still distinct and useful, and spell focused.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Fadigan
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Speaking of Reactivation.

I can't find a reference in the 3E rules for having a Target card spending a turn deactivated.

In fact, they explicitly go back into your Target Pile, at the end of Aftermath. Does this mean we can target any foe we want, from round to round? In 2v2, and in Free-For-All?

Has play-testing shown how this avoids a Kingmaker situation?

I'll let you know what my group thinks of this change, as well - after tonight's game.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ACE23 wrote:
Speaking of Reactivation.

I can't find a reference in the 3E rules for having a Target card spending a turn deactivated.

In fact, they explicitly go back into your Target Pile, at the end of Aftermath. Does this mean we can target any foe we want, from round to round? In 2v2, and in Free-For-All?

Has play-testing shown how this avoids a Kingmaker situation?

I'll let you know what my group thinks of this change, as well - after tonight's game.



Yeah, target cards don't have a 1 turn cool-down at the moment.

We have tested it in free-for-alls, but more testing is always good. The open targeting system helps a lot with knowing when/how to defend. And as always, we recommend playing in teams if you've got 4+ players. If you play with a group that likes to pick on players, just make sure you draft some defensive / trickery type signatures. Transmute, Redirect, Barrier, Exalt, Evert, Specter, Resurrect, Bloodlust, etc.

Looking forward to the feedback.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.