Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Isn't Gloomhaven ripe for a Collector's Edition (a la LOTR)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Bault

Connecticut
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Title says it all. All standies converted to minis. Overlays maybe converted to 3D terrain. I assume a generic package of minis could accomplish most of this, and 3D terrain gets us all the way. Reaper could probably do this in no time. Comments?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Legacy.

Mine will be ripe in the bottom of a landfill after about 200 more hours of game play...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven Collector's Edition, only $799.99!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
100% Nope.

1) The game hasn't even had a full retail release.

2) Isaac has said numerous times he doesn't care that much for minis-stuffed games.

3) I made a WIP thread on the minis I've managed to cobble together for Gloomhaven, and I can definitively state that the game can't just be mini'd with generic Bones minis. It would require dozens of unique sculpts

4) Even if it Reaper already made the right stuff, the retail cost of 300+ bones minis and terrain pieces would be over a thousand dollars, so waaay more than the retail price of the WotR CE.

5) Reaper doesn't do partnerships like what you're describing

6) Reaper is run by accountants, and they put a ton of research and data into what minis they produce in Bones, because each mold is extremely expensive. They would have no interest in making molds for Gloomhaven-specific sculpts unless they had data to indicate they would bring in years of sustainable profit at retail stores. A limited collectors edition or extremely expensive general retail release isn't in their business model for Bones.

7) Then there's the game logistics to consider. Bones minis just have integral broccoli bases. Gloomhaven minis need a way to number them or number their bases, and a way to indicate elite status. And flying monsters need to be able to end their movement on obstacles, so the terrain would all need to be designed to easily stand a figure on top of, or flying monsters would need some sort of flying stand like Litko makes. In some way or another, a good deal of custom stuff would need to be made for this game beyond just the minis.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think of the 5 best games you've ever played, were any of them minis games?

For me, only Axis and Allies comes close to being a minis game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I happy with the standees. They look great. It was a steal for the price, and I'm happy with everything. Especially the character minis. They look awesome.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If Gloomhaven had been released as an all-minis game I wouldn't have bought it based on price and I would have missed out on the best game I have ever played. Definitely a case of not cool mini for me.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Jones
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why the hell would you throw it away?
Even after you finish the campaign there is a random dungeon generator. You can still run through that with the 17 included classes. Not to mention the extra content that seems on its way.

And if you really don't want to put stickers on anything you can use the rese- guides that were kindly provided.

The idea that you must throw away a legacygame is ridiculous.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only kind of collector's edition that imo make sense for this game would consist of purely aesthetical overlays to make the quests feel more individual, endcaps for the unused connectors and smaller transparent bases for the standees (clear and gold) and maybe precise cut-outs of the enemies, so there is no background on them.

Yet I don't know if that even feels enough like a special edition, but these are the only desired upgrades I have for the components.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spoofsc wrote:
Why the hell would you throw it away?
Even after you finish the campaign there is a random dungeon generator. You can still run through that with the 17 included classes. Not to mention the extra content that seems on its way.

And if you really don't want to put stickers on anything you can use the rese- guides that were kindly provided.

The idea that you must throw away a legacygame is ridiculous.


Yeah. Once we have completed our 3p campaign I'm going to put the game in mothballs for a year assuming there are no expansions. Then I'm going to play a solo campaign using the 3 starter characters we didn't choose. After that I'm hoping that Gloomhaven 2 will be available (hopefully in the same world, not with a Cthulhu twist or set in space as seems de rigeur these days).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
trb456 wrote:
Comments?



Only one: how many Gloomhaven-sized boxes would that take?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:
If you think of the 5 best games you've ever played, were any of them minis games?


HeroQuest.
HeroQuest.
HeroQuest.
HeroQuest.
Agricola.

Nah. laugh *The* best games I've ever played were all RPGs, particularly Call of Cthulhu and Paranoia, and I *wanted* miniatures for them. I'm not clear what the MSRP of Gloomhaven is, but the latest version of D&D has a MSRP of $150, for its three core books of $50 each. Just books, no miniatures, not even standees. D&D, btw, does not have miniatures for all its monsters, but that doesn't stop companies from making miniatures you can use for D&D, not to mention *some* gamers willing to spend hundreds of dollars on them.

Reaper, btw, does manufacturer miniatures for other games, some available directly to the public, others only sold by their clients. Here're the Bones for the Numenera RPG, available from your local OLGS:
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rpr62109.html

Not that four sculpts means you could have a complete line of Gloomhaven miniatures, of course. (And those Paranoia miniatures have long ago sold out!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
kzinti wrote:
If you think of the 5 best games you've ever played, were any of them minis games?


HeroQuest.
HeroQuest.
HeroQuest.
HeroQuest.
Agricola.

Nah. laugh *The* best games I've ever played were all RPGs, particularly Call of Cthulhu and Paranoia, and I *wanted* miniatures for them. I'm not clear what the MSRP of Gloomhaven is, but the latest version of D&D has a MSRP of $150, for its three core books of $50 each. Just books, no miniatures, not even standees. D&D, btw, does not have miniatures for all its monsters, but that doesn't stop companies from making miniatures you can use for D&D, not to mention *some* gamers willing to spend hundreds of dollars on them.

Reaper, btw, does manufacturer miniatures for other games, some available directly to the public, others only sold by their clients. Here're the Bones for the Numenera RPG, available from your local OLGS:
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rpr62109.html

Not that four sculpts means you could have a complete line of Gloomhaven miniatures, of course. (And those Paranoia miniatures have long ago sold out!)


Advanced Heroquest was a tremendous game. Descent was a thinly veiled clone of it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
If Gloomhaven had been released as an all-minis game I wouldn't have bought it based on price and I would have missed out on the best game I have ever played. Definitely a case of not cool mini for me.


Collectors editions typically do not replace the standard game. So you would still be able to buy the standard game.

I've love to see what a CE Gloomhaven would have to offer. Better card stock and miniatures would be on the top of my list. Terrain would be a little overkill and hard to store.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Given its availability, I think Gloomhaven is already the Collector's Edition.

laugh
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
kzinti wrote:
If you think of the 5 best games you've ever played, were any of them minis games?


HeroQuest.
HeroQuest.
HeroQuest.
HeroQuest.
Agricola.

I was going to say:

Space Hulk
Space Hulk (second edition)
Space Hulk (third edition)
Space Hulk (fourth edition)
and Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:


I preferred Space Hulk Death Angel over Space Hulk (but I must admit that we always scavenged the SH minis to add to that card game).

Agricola
Axis and Allies
Diplomacy
Carcasonne
Cosmic Encounter
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.