Blake Livingston
United States
California
flag msg tools
Which would be the best value?

I'm looking at Conquest of Nerath at the moment, but are there better options for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several DnD games with decent unpainted miniatures, Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game or Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game. It seems like every 4-5 months they can be found for $30-$40.

There are two Magic the Gathering games that are $20-$30. Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers and Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers: Shadows over Innistrad have painted heroes, but the monsters are unpainted.

Many game stores sell common Heroclix or other minis. You might also want to try a eBay search for DnD, Heroclix or other minis. Many times people end up with lots of extra commons, and will sell them in bulk for a pretty low price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Livingston
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks!

I'll look for those Magic games, that's something I haven't checked.

I've been watching ebay and craiglist obsessively for legit minis and can't find anything particularly good. I think the resurgence of D&D has sort of made the mini market boom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Smith
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find any edition of Descent Journey into the Dark, there's a ton of mini's Lots of bang for your buck!

Also it's a very fun D&Dish game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Schurmann

Perth
Australia
msg tools
mbmbmb
I got Conquest of Nerath for this, yes there are a lot of minis in quite a few different styles, but they're small and flimsy, and are all in different scales (the dragons are the same size as the heroes are the same size as the castles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bunch of Heroscape sets I got cheap that I use as my pool of D&D monsters, but Heroscape has gone from dirt cheap to ridiculously expensive since then, due to being out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You've been given good suggestions, but is there anything specific you're looking for, such as a particular module you wanted to run? You'll usually want miniatures that best fit the player characters, then monsters that fit the adventure you're running. (And, yes, if you make your own adventures, you can also design them around the miniatures you own!)

fwiw, Reaper Miniatures will have a KS in a few months, something like 150 plastic miniatures for $100. Good way to build up a library of generic fantasy miniatures. You can also get free standees on the 'net, as well as tokens for creatures. PM me if you can't find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
You've been given good suggestions, but is there anything specific you're looking for, such as a particular module you wanted to run? You'll usually want miniatures that best fit the player characters, then monsters that fit the adventure you're running. (And, yes, if you make your own adventures, you can also design them around the miniatures you own!)

fwiw, Reaper Miniatures will have a KS in a few months, something like 150 plastic miniatures for $100. Good way to build up a library of generic fantasy miniatures. You can also get free standees on the 'net, as well as tokens for creatures. PM me if you can't find them.

Reaper runs awesome kickstarters -- I've bought into all three, you can get minis for like 50 cents apiece -- but the delivery times can be greater than a year. Works for me! Might not work for the OP if he wants to get playing soon. Buying Reaper Bones is an ok method, but retail is usually around $4-$10 a figure, which can be a bit much.

I'd second Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers -- you can get some decent minis for pretty cheap w/ that game.

Older D&D minis were alright -- it followed a CCG rarity model, but the commons were usually reasonably priced. You may have some luck just looking for stuff like "old D&D minis lot" on eBay.

If you don't care about 28mm scale, and you run lots of Tolkien-esque races, you could use War of the Ring (Second Edition). As a bonus, you get an awesome board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also look into Pathfinder Pawns. While not a board game, they are pretty good for D&D-style RPGs.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a lot of success with old Mage Knight (the clix that predated supers HeroClix and the current Mage Knight board game).

While OOP, lots of figs out there for cheap on sites like T&T.

I also use lots of old DDMs as others have suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Nerath figures are a bit small. And you'd have a bunch of the same ones. That game isn't that great either.

Reaper Bones are pretty cheap. You can scoop up a lot of them online for good prices. Great sculpts too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
blaek wrote:
Which would be the best value?

I'm looking at Conquest of Nerath at the moment, but are there better options for this?

Empires: Age of Discovery comes with LOTS of soldiers, priests, merchants, and captains, and laborers in multiple colors. Oh, and some boats. No monsters.

It's also a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.