Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Pjontek
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the Situation initially

I then built a complete link back to the parcel

Here is the question did we do this right by removing the section of rail from the parcel thereby creating multiple links or should we have left the rail section as is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you leave it, until you build a building on that parcel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cruz
Portugal
Arcozelo - Vila Nova de Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This.

Brodie17 wrote:
I believe you leave it, until you build a building on that parcel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Pjontek
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses. That makes sense even though I just lost the game by 3 points now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I am misreading the board, and the rules, once you have built through a parcel, it can no longer be a destination for a completed link. Unless you had continued to extend that link in an intersection across that parcel in a future round, it would have decayed.

Per the FAQ:

FAQ wrote:
Through Your Own Parcel
Unlike a Building, you can build a link right through your own Parcel. If you do this, the Parcel is no longer considered a stop or destination. If you build a Building there, replacing the rail on the space, the Building obviously is a destination and a stop for all trips

But to answer your main question, the link would stay.

Also, the v3 Player Aid is a great reference while playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I confirm, the link stays. You would remove it if you build a building on your parcel, which is well played in most of the cases
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
icarusmustburn wrote:
Unless I am misreading the board, and the rules, once you have built through a parcel, it can no longer be a destination for a completed link. Unless you had continued to extend that link in an intersection across that parcel in a future round, it would have decayed.

Per the FAQ:

FAQ wrote:
Through Your Own Parcel
Unlike a Building, you can build a link right through your own Parcel. If you do this, the Parcel is no longer considered a stop or destination. If you build a Building there, replacing the rail on the space, the Building obviously is a destination and a stop for all trips

I interpreted that statement in the FAQ to refer only to the move passenger action. Perhaps Alban can clarify whether it is permitted to build a link to a parcel that has a rail through it (as seen in the pictures of the original post). If so, I would assume that this parcel can still not be delivered to unless a building is built there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that you would have to keep extending the new link through the parcel; otherwise, it would decay. The link cannot be completed to a parcel that already has a link running through it, according to my understanding, nor could passengers be delivered to the parcel without a building to replace the link already running through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wrong
right
right
Joel, Donald's build to the parcel is legal, but it does not complete the link. As Kent said, failure to work on that incomplete link that points at the former parcel F2 would cause it to "decay", and that incomplete link downward from F3 would go away.

You are correct, Joel, that a passenger can no longer travel to the F2 parcel as a destination, because F2 is no longer considered a parcel. If he builds a building on it, as you said, then a passenger could go to that building, but the F2 destination icon is useless.

Finally, Kent, you are spot on, as well, in your most recent post. Donald could continue to lay track across the former parcel F2, or he could build a building to replace the track that's already there… or he could let the incomplete link go away from neglect.

Edit: Just to clarify for anyone who reads only this last post, the third photo is a legal situation in the game, but the photos are sequential, and it would be an illegal step to follow the second photo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. Regarding the "former parcel F2" (as Nathan put it), would it be legal for one of brown's opponents to build an incomplete link to/through former parcel F2 (in the first image for example)?

The rules make it clear that you may not build to/through an opponent's parcel (nor to /through an unowned parcel), but may build to their building. I do not recall any rule regarding building to/through an opponent's former parcel in the case that it is not a building (as in the first image).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joakley815 wrote:
Regarding the "former parcel F2" (as Nathan put it), would it be legal for one of brown's opponents to build an incomplete link to/through former parcel F2 (in the first image for example)?

That is a really good question. I have this nagging recollection of this being covered in the rules….

Aha, yes, on page 6, in the "You are allowed to" box at the top of the left column:
Quote:
[You are allowed to] build a Rail tile on a gray (Parcel) space that belongs to you (this costs the usual Build 1 Rail Action Icon), but not on a gray space that belongs to an opponent or is not yet claimed.
[You are allowed to] build a Rail beside a gray (Parcel) space that does not belong to you, as long as the Rail does not connect to the Parcel space.

So, Orange, for example, can build rail neither to nor through F2, because it is claimed by someone else.

I apologize for my use of the misleading turn of phrase, "former parcel"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One lingering question here is bothering me now.

Is the link F3-F2 really an incomplete link that would be lost if ignored?

In this thread we find a similar situation, to which Alban responded that both links are considered complete (they will not be lost). There is a difference of which order the links were built, but the end result is effectively the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
your F3-F2 is complete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
icarusmustburn wrote:

Per the FAQ:

FAQ wrote:
Through Your Own Parcel

So, is the FAQ wrong, here?

I feel like there needs to be a thread with a definitive visual guide to these situations, because at this point I am lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlbaN ViarD
France
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
when you build on the parcel, it is not a stop, you would move your passenger through the parcel
when you point to the parcel, you can deliver a passenger to this parcel like a normal stop.

that never happens in the game, because you would build to a building or if you move a passenger, you want to also get the bonus of the building.
Moving to a parcel is very interesting if you have many stops before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ wording could be improved above, as it only applies to the link being discussed, not to any other link that terminates at the parcel. Otherwise, the second link would not be complete, if building any link through a parcel caused the parcel to become an invalid destination for other links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Abad
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It is still unclear to me whether F2-F3 is or isn't a complete link, honestly. I am new to the game and find some of the information on this really confusing and contradictory.
As far as I understand, building a rail on a gray parcel means it is no longer a destination. So how can F2-F3 link be a complete link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.