B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People with a high squick factor will probably pass on this game, solely based on the artwork. The "+1 Smell" card would likely induce gagging or vomitting in some of the players I know.

Without context it's hard to comment on the rest, but here's some observations...

The icons are clear (clean/smelly), but the lack of an index on the card means I'm going to be looking at all of my cards one at a time in my hand. Can the icon be places in the upper corner miniturized?

It's draw-one-play-one, but that usually implies some kind of hand management where I buffer specific choices in my hand for some time. That said...

How large is a player's hand? (This partly determines if lack of indexing is a problem, and partly informs the next few questions.)

Any of these cards can be drawn with a single atomic action (draw one).
How valuable is a 'smell 1' or 'clean 2'?
Are they all equal in value?
Why would I play one over the other?

** Note: Clearly the Dumpster Dive card that lets me pick from a large number of cards in the discard and play it is superior to any other randomly drawn card in my hand because it affords me with choice. I see no penalty associated with the Dumpster Dive card. That is a potentical issue you need to address when balancing the cards.

What incentives do I have to hold specific cards (or card types) in my hand?

Is there always a clear and best choice to play?
What interesting decisions is the player making?

What makes this a 'party' game? Usually I associate those with large groups and rarely with the 'draw-one-play-one' mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
By "cut lines" do you mean where the cards will be cropped? If so, the text is way too close to the lines. Your crop lines should cut at the edge of the red, and the card should be larger beyond that so they'll have a clean border around them and the text completely safe.

On the cards themselves, I like the art and style, but I think the red border is too bright (it's fighting with the card artwork to catch the eye), and you should try a more subtle color.

The character has a lot of white on him, and with the background being white, he kinda disappears into the background. On top of that, the card title and descriptive text (telling you what to do) also have a white background, giving an overall bland look.

I would change the backgrounds to be a low-saturation color (not the same on each card; whatever makes sense). Also try some colors for the title and descriptive text.

Also also, you've got conflicting design elements. In cards 1 and 2, the card title has a curved bottom, but card 3 it has a straight bottom, with the descriptive in the same style as the other titles.

All titles should have a consistent font size, and the descriptive text should have a smaller but more legible font (a sans-serif like Arial or Gotham; not everything has to be fancy-looking).

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shoemaker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
The red border is a cut mark. The border is black. It's just a card layover.
The third card is an action and is different is why it has a line between the name of the card and what the card does.
I do appreciate the feedback also. I have went through hundreds of different type of backgrounds besides white and everyone hated them :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shoemaker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Ha yeah the artwork is meant to be that way. I love it tho. I attached a rule sheet that may answer your bottom questions. The game and mechanics are already 100% done and tested. The layout and art is what I am working on now. I never thought of adding it to the top tho. I made a sample to see how it looks.
Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are probably technical tweaks required to make hand management easier, but c'mon...

The artwork is hilariously wonderful. Love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shoemaker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
professorguy wrote:
There are probably technical tweaks required to make hand management easier, but c'mon...

The artwork is hilariously wonderful. Love it!

Thanks! I spent a lot of time finding an artist, I couldn't ask for a better one. Everyone who plays and played the game want this game to fund badly so I cab get the rest of the art done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Shoeytennis wrote:

This makes much more sense. The blue dotted line is your safe area, the red was the border and beyond that, the bleed. That works just fine!

I'd actually like to see the art with the background colors that people hated, to try and figure out what they hated about it. But I get that you're set on it and that's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
putting the icons in the top third will do two things:

1: it doesn't cover the artwork
2: players can stack the cards if they are tight for space

#2 will cover the artwork during play, but that will be the player's choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with points in one of the corners so I can fan the cards.

I think this is bilarious. There's a TGC game called Monkey Burger with grossness like this in a fast food setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would only add that a black border on cards is generally a bad idea. They show wear very fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
I would only add that a black border on cards is generally a bad idea. They show wear very fast.

QFT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shoemaker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
I didn't think of this. I'm going to use 350 coreless. He real heavy stuff. Got quoted a good price for it. Is there any game you know that uses 350?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shoemaker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks. The main truth behind it is people love bars and no one likes sitting around. Whenever I play this game at a bar people flock to ask me questions. I went with this art style to draw people in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shoemaker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
smackwell wrote:
Shoeytennis wrote:

This makes much more sense. The blue dotted line is your safe area, the red was the border and beyond that, the bleed. That works just fine!

I'd actually like to see the art with the background colors that people hated, to try and figure out what they hated about it. But I get that you're set on it and that's fine.

People just found it distracting. Well the rainbow one ha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First rule of printing:

Say "NO" to gradiants. Seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem Bedos
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, it depends on the colors of the gradient: as long as there are no more than 2, maximum 3 colors, and if they are reasonnably close from each other in tone, a gradient is a good way to fill an empty space...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shoemaker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Guilhem wrote:
Frankly, it depends on the colors of the gradient: as long as there are no more than 2, maximum 3 colors, and if they are reasonnably close from each other in tone, a gradient is a good way to fill an empty space...

Yeah everyone agrees on the white background. I don't personally mine gradients if they are not extreme. Also I wouldn't use gradients if I was doing a big Euro game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
If you're going to stick with the white background, then I'd suggest changing the shirt color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Baxter-Webb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey Brian,

These look great, I love the art and general concept.

Although all-caps can be stylistically cool if you want an old-school comic book look, I would avoid it for sentences longer than 5 or 6 words. It makes it harder for people to read, especially little'uns or people with dyslexia or bad eyesight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.