Hide
2 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk» Forums » Reviews

Subject: What do you think of this expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Maynard
msg tools
I got the base game (2nd edition) for Christmas and almost instantly fell in love! My siblings and cousins and I play it all the time. We never ran out of haunts because it's still new and there are 50 to start out with. However, we did encounter the same cards and rooms over and over again (Bite, I'm looking straight at you!)! So for $25 bucks, I figured it was worth it. I've had the game for about a month now and probably played a dozen games give or take. Of those probably about half have been new haunts, so I will now give my views on it.
Rooms: 8/10 We've got some great ones here. I especially love the study, menagerie, locked room, drawing room, and arsenal.
Cards: 9/10 I don't really have oppinions on many here, it's just nice to have more, especially the omens! Some of my favorites include teapot, Evil Left hand, and misty archway.
Haunts: 1/10 COMPLETE JUNK!!! I have yet to find one that is as good as the original haunts when it comes to theme. And I have yet to find one that was both coherent and balanced. Who the H*** thinks bringing video game designers and horror writers will make for good board game designers?
Mechanics: 7/10 I really like the roof, that fourth floor is just great! The emphasis on items really helps too! Hero tokens... I won't complain.
Overall:6/10 I really like everything but the haunts.
What about you? How would you rank the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're spot on in your analysis. The item and event cards are pretty good, the rooms are nice, but the haunts are amateur hour garbage. I don't know why the designer farmed out the scenario writing to others, but the lack of editorial oversight shows a disregard for quality that is completely unacceptable. Many of the haunts are indecipherable gobbledygook. Others are painfully mediocre. I haven't played them all, but I haven't found a good one yet either, and I don't expect to.

Unfortunately, since the omen cards lead to sucky haunts, that tarnishes them as well.

The attic is pointless. All the dumbwaiters make moving up and down the floors too easy. There's supposed to be a little bit of bottlenecking to corner the heroes/traitor during the final confrontations, and a little bit of feeling trapped when you first fall into the basement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.