GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,534 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk» Forums » Reviews

Subject: What do you think of this expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Maynard
msg tools
I got the base game (2nd edition) for Christmas and almost instantly fell in love! My siblings and cousins and I play it all the time. We never ran out of haunts because it's still new and there are 50 to start out with. However, we did encounter the same cards and rooms over and over again (Bite, I'm looking straight at you!)! So for $25 bucks, I figured it was worth it. I've had the game for about a month now and probably played a dozen games give or take. Of those probably about half have been new haunts, so I will now give my views on it.
Rooms: 8/10 We've got some great ones here. I especially love the study, menagerie, locked room, drawing room, and arsenal.
Cards: 9/10 I don't really have oppinions on many here, it's just nice to have more, especially the omens! Some of my favorites include teapot, Evil Left hand, and misty archway.
Haunts: 1/10 COMPLETE JUNK!!! I have yet to find one that is as good as the original haunts when it comes to theme. And I have yet to find one that was both coherent and balanced. Who the H*** thinks bringing video game designers and horror writers will make for good board game designers?
Mechanics: 7/10 I really like the roof, that fourth floor is just great! The emphasis on items really helps too! Hero tokens... I won't complain.
Overall:6/10 I really like everything but the haunts.
What about you? How would you rank the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're spot on in your analysis. The item and event cards are pretty good, the rooms are nice, but the haunts are amateur hour garbage. I don't know why the designer farmed out the scenario writing to others, but the lack of editorial oversight shows a disregard for quality that is completely unacceptable. Many of the haunts are indecipherable gobbledygook. Others are painfully mediocre. I haven't played them all, but I haven't found a good one yet either, and I don't expect to.

Unfortunately, since the omen cards lead to sucky haunts, that tarnishes them as well.

The attic is pointless. All the dumbwaiters make moving up and down the floors too easy. There's supposed to be a little bit of bottlenecking to corner the heroes/traitor during the final confrontations, and a little bit of feeling trapped when you first fall into the basement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Schlee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My sister and I play this game SOOOO much! We don't ever repeat haunts. We have a note keeping track of which ones we've done,and if we run into one we've previously done, we switch the omen. I actually like the new haunts because her and I can literally guess what the other side is supposed to do because the original haunts end up being so similar to each other. The new haunts are more unique and play very different. So I like them for this reason. A few of then do have flaws in the rules, but I don't think it's THAT big of a deal. I love having all the expansion stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unnecessary. I can't believe they released haunts with WORSE rules than the original. I've played four at this point, and I agree with the garbage comment as well. The one based on Rocky Horror Picture Show is a mess of forks, useless rules, and stupid mechanics. As a result, the expansion to me is completely useless. Write your own haunts, the results would be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Knutson
United States
Alexandria
VA - Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the new items and new events a lot.

Some of the new rooms are pretty cool.

I'm not sure how I feel about the dumbwaiters.

I wish that instead of 50 new haunts, they would have released half as many but better play tested haunts.

In the end, I think I may have still gotten my money's worth for the new items and events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Love the new rooms, events and all but the couple of new haunts we hit were confusing and not nearly as good. It really took the wind out of our sails for this game. This was a family favorite until this expansion. Now we either need to separate out the expansion or come up with a way the new haunts don't get selected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
United States
Big Bear City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hope that if they release another expansion that they'll not farm out the scenarios. Since at least a couple of the contributors I didn't really care for to be on that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hench critter
Belgium
flag msg tools
I don't dare to buy WW. The reason is it feels poorly designed. In the base game, they made a well thought out core-mechanic which haunt is triggered when. If you want to make an expansion, you should be careful with such a vital mechanic.

But they come up with a question mark on tiles, which let you chose the deck to draw from. This is one of those "fun looking ideas with less fun consequences". First it is pointless. Why would I chose an event over an item? items are positive and powerful, events can also hurt you.

But far more serious, you can chose haunt cards, which all say: make a "haunt roll now". At this point, you're meddling with a game mechanic, which should not be done lightly. But if you wish, you should make good rules and/or mechanics to keep the worms inside the open can. But the fact the designers did neither, seems to indicate that they were oblivious to this problem. It looks fun, why not? Where was the play tester or developer that debugs these kind of mechanics.

I dread the thought, the Traitor tomb of the survivor's handbook was also untouched by a good debugger. (to be clear, I don't own the game nor will I spoil it for myself) Gameplay would become "Rulelawyer the Bickering" where players quarrel with suitcases of errata. What I read from this forum, this might be the case.

Perhaps if they make a second edition where the flaws are ironed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.