Subject: Question on game length rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a lot of posts about games lasting 3 + hours. We had our first game that was 2-1/2 but what I'm most curious about if this is about the number of turns we are taking or the length of those turns. We have yet to see a 3rd winter. Just about every game has ended between the 3rd and 5th turns after the 2nd winter. We're about to play game 8. Is this unusual or likely to change ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Neppel
msg tools
mb
I would say you're right in line with the average... my group is 6 games in and yet to reach 3rd winter as well. We even just had 1 game that ended in 6 turns, not even reaching 2nd winter! Box 3 spoilers:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
She was super-lucky hitting 2 high glory Tomb explorations, and also nabbed 2 milestones in a large part due to her Tomb success

I'm sure game length will vary due to what glory targets are available, or how many players are competing for them, and what stage of the game you are in. Also, if your group is Attack-averse, as our group seems to be... this probably results in shorter (turnwise) games. If you want your games to last longer, you almost need to mess with your opponents plans a little bit in order to make it into another winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first 4 games were all 3 hours and never getting to second winter. Games 5-7 were all about 60 to 90 minutes. I think I won game 5 on turn 3 or 4. I think they will go back to being longer but we are though game 7 and have 5 boxes open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Round-wise, our games have ranged from 6-12 rounds. We've never seen a third winter, and have had multiple games where we didn't even get a second winter.

Time-wise, our games have ranged from 3-5 hours. We have a few people who make decisions very slowly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the entire campaign, we fairly solidly had games last 8-9 turns; I don't think any lasted longer than that. There were two (I think) games that lasted only 5 or 6 turns. Most of our games took 2.5-3.5 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Round-wise, our games have ranged from 6-12 rounds. We've never seen a third winter, and have had multiple games where we didn't even get a second winter.

Time-wise, our games have ranged from 3-5 hours. We have a few people who make decisions very slowly.

Figured I might add the following since it might be relevant to the original question:

Our longest games (both turn-wise and time-wise) were closer to the beginning of the campaign. I think Game 2 was the one that went 12 rounds. The two most recent games we've played (Game 8 and Game 9) were the two that ended on Round 6 (before the second winter). So in my experience, in general the games have been getting shorter the further into the campaign we've gone. This is despite the increasing game glory target over the course of the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Riley

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
Out group (of 5) played game 1 (after the prologue) yesterday. Probably ran 4 hours. It was a few weeks since we played the prologue and we inadvertently played to 15 glory instead of 11.

I'm thinking that future sessions we'll be able to do in 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.