Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Wiley
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first playthrough of the game, and I was very excited to get a chance to run through this. Here is how the game went:

Turn 1, Round 1

Played the Cavalry Charge (#7) from my hand to move the cavalry twice. I was successful with both moves (I drew Lack of Leadership, which prevented center track from moving so it didn't affect the cavalry), and chose to move each cavalry one space so as to avoid collision if the archers fired successfully. English archers rolled a 1 and a 2 on the dice, making the left cavalry retreat, but missed when targeting the infantry.

Turn 1, Round 2

Played Truce with Burgundians for the action points. Attempted to move the left cavalry and drew English Dysentary, which gave -1 DRM and led to a failed attempt. Attempted to move the left cavalry again and drew Skilled French Horsemen which made me roll to retreat cavalry but I rolled a 4 so there was no effect. I was then able to roll for the movement and successfully got it back on the left track. Final point was spent to move frontline infantry and drew Steel Armor, which caused the left units to be unable to move. It was a moot point anyway, as none of the infantry moved successfully. English archers missed cavalry and infantry, which was a lucky break for me.

Turn 1, Round 3

At this point I debate whether or not to use Oriflamme Raised to move all frontline units, and since it is early I decide to use it for action points. First point used to move right cavalry and drew French Units Funnel to Left, which didn't affect the cavalry's movement. He moved forward one row and then I moved the frontline infantry, drawing French Units Funnel to Left. This makes all infantry roll their own roll rather than as a unit. Poor rolls lead to only the right unit advancing. I decide to run a risk and move the right cavalry and hope to get him in the combat area. I draw English Dysentary which gives -1 DRM for cavalry but it isn't enough and he moves forward. The English Archers attack, missing yet again on the infantry and cavalry. They roll double 5 for the hammer and axe, but since there is no infantry in the combat area the result is ignored. Combat card drawn is Cavalry Charge, but there is no hope of breaking the line with the lone cavalry.

Turn 2, Round 1

Played the card French Units Funnel to Left to advance left cavalry and the front and rear left infantry by one space. Double threes are rolled for English Archers, but the card played allows me to ignore any effect on the left. Archers fire at the infantry and roll double fours, making the center infantry retreat. Since it hasn't moved, its path is blocked so I lose a total of 2 strength for the infantry (-1 for doubles, -1 for the blocked retreat). Combat card drawn is Steel Armor and dice roll makes it so I lose no strength from the effect. Still not enough strength to advance a unit.

Turn 2, Round 2

Played Cavalry Charge for action points and started by moving the left cavalry. Drew Lack of Leadership to prevent center movement, which has no negative effect. Rolled a four, plus the four strength to advance the cavalry. Chose to move rear infantry with the other action, even though I don't have the point to spare to boost the die if I move. I drew Skilled French Horsemen and rolled a 3 to keep the cavalry where they were. Lucked out and rolled a 5 to move the infantry. English archers fired at cavalry and forced the right one to retreat. Fired at infantry and missed. Combat is still one cavalry, and drew Truce with Burgundians which had no effect. Still not enough to advance.

Turn 2, Round 3

I had hoped to sneak in this during combat, but am now forced to use English Dysentery as action points. I move the front infantry and draw Oriflamme Raised which has no effect since the left cavalry is already in the combat area. My roll is low, but I use my action point to add +3 to make them advance. Now I have a cavalry and infantry in the combat area, and the collision of the infantry with the cavalry had no negative effect since the infantry dice was already at 2. Unfortunately, double ones sends my cavalry back out of the combat area and the other two English Archer attacks miss. My combat draw was Skilled French Horsemen, to no effect, and now I am praying to at least break one through next turn.

Turn 3, Round 1

Played Lack of Leadership, as it was forced. Advanced center track, adding a second infantry into the combat area. Both archer attacks missed. Second advance was the right track, adding a cavalry into the combat area. Dice again have no negative effect. Combat phase comes and draw Skilled French Horsemen but my infantry is already reduced enough. Dice roll falls just short, but I use Oriflamme Raised as a +3 to combat to break my first unit through the English line.

Turn 3, Round 2

Played Truce with Burgundians to add 3 action points. First move is rear infantry, and Steel Armor prevented the left from moving but a successful roll moved them forward and a use of an action point brought about +1 to infantry strength. Moving left cavalry, which drawing Cavalry Charge for -1DRM made it just miss. English archers missed cavalry but made middle infantry retreat. French Units Funnel to Left brought infantry strength back down to 2, and a poor roll led to a drop in cavalry strength as well. Things are bleak for that victory

Turn 3, Round 3

I have no cards to play and thus no action points. Archers miss on all three attacks. Combat time, drawing English Dysentary to advance nearest infantry into combat area. Total combat: 14 based on the dice roll of 5, plus 2 for each of the three units, plus 2 for cavalry, plus 1 for infantry presence. Literally missed by the skin of my teeth.

Result: Loss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great session report! It's pretty tough to get that second unit into the English lines. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wiley
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

It sure seemed like it. I was fairly confident with that early cavalry getting to the battle line, but I think it was a mistake because I had the oversight for most of the game about needing a certain number in order to have a "draw" with the English up there. That is part of the process of learning, though, is realizing what you missed and playing it right the next time.

It turned out to be a good thing I didn't use the Oriflamme that first round, though, no matter how tempting it was to get a free advance of the entire front infantry. Without that +3 combat, I wouldn't have even gotten one to break through! This was a really fun game and I look forward to more plays and eventually leaving a review.

Count me in on any future P&P games you create.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Fall
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! I used it as an Extended Example of Play before playing my first game

I was confused by this: `Unfortunately, double ones sends my cavalry back out of the combat area and the other two English Archer attacks miss´. In 13.0 it says `Units only retreat while on their tracks. Units never retreat from the combat area´. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wiley
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, clearly I missed remembering that rule! That will help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch! Archers can't fire directly into the combat area. Too high of a risk of hitting their own soldiers. In the combat area they attack with their axes and mallets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Fall
Sweden
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It´s easy to miss one or two rules the first time. I forgot the one about cavalry retreating into the infantry tracks. Made things too easy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.