15 Posts

Battlestations» Forums » Rules

Subject: Battlestations : The RPG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Blais
Canada
flag msg tools
Has anyone come up with a ruleset to play Battlestations as a RPG yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be played as a RPG pretty much as is...

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea! Better yet would be a big sourcebook about the Battlestations universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
Shiny!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Planet of Dr. Moreau is the probably most RPGish expansion for this game. I would start with this one if i wanted to go mor RPG with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Blais
Canada
flag msg tools
The thing is... for the last...2 years or so... I contemplated the idea of having a Space-Opera game to alternate with our weekly D&D game...
I wanted to mix all the sci-fi things I thought were cool... in a casual "spaceship day-to-day lifestyle"... Think of it like "Star Citizen:The RPG" mixed with some Firefly(for the characters' interaction), Star Trek(for the exploration), Space Station 76 (For the Power Glove Cyberhand )...

I considered the Star Wars d6 system, Traveller d20, d20 Future... but none came close to fill the... need for a system that would work with that.

Of course, I wanted this to be RP-heavy... think "Geek&Sundry's Critical Role" but with the space-sci-fi-opera twist...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:

Pauli

I agree. What elements are you looking for that aren't in the game? Granted most of the rules are bent towards ship/personal combat, but there are a whole lot of "other" things you ned to do in the game (piloting, repairing, healing, etc.).

I see it as no different than any RPG ... You have a character, stats that represent their general abilities, skills, and equipment. All you need is a GM with some imagination and story telling skills and they can fill in the rest!

-Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest the RPG Cosmic Patrol for its simplicity and ease of adventure creation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Alfke
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The best fit I can think of is Uncharted Worlds (by Sean Gomes; uses the Apocalypse World engine). From the forward: "Uncharted Worlds is at its heart a space opera. It’s a humanocentric, stylized, operatic vision of the future, full of starships and explosions and lasers and Wild Jumps and space pirates and more explosions. The Rule of Cool is always in effect (if everyone thinks it’s cool, roll with it). Don’t get caught up in the details, be big, bold, larger-than-life, with an epic orchestral soundtrack in the background. One of the principals of Uncharted Worlds is ‘paint in primary colors’: Not black-and-white, but keeping things vibrant and bold."

Bulldogs (by Brennan Taylor; uses the Fate system) might also work well; it's also unapologetic space opera and leans toward roleplaying over mechanics. But it also comes with a fairly detailed setting that you'd have to toss out, whereas UW assumes you're creating your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:

Pauli
It is an RPG as is. Just one with VERY heavy emphasis on tactical combat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fate or PbtA is how I'd go as well.

I highly recommend How Much For Your Planet as the setting is fleshed out a lot with the planet gazeeter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manik2k wrote:

Of course, I wanted this to be RP-heavy... think "Geek&Sundry's Critical Role" but with the space-sci-fi-opera twist...

thumbsup
A Thumb for the mention of my all-time favorite show on the internet! laugh cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Churgin
Israel
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am bumping this thread as I am in the same situation. More specifically what I would be interested in is more detail about the UREF and the rebellion and about the different planets. Has anyone written such a document?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations is the combat system for any space RPG. You can set it in whatever universe you like. Frankly, I'm surprised more people don't just use Battlestations rules to play in any system. What I want from an RPG in terms of roleplaying is freedom.

I want to be able to negotiate with the smugglers and pirates in character.

The Battlestations system gives you guidelines for when the negotiations move into the tactical arena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Churgin
Israel
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am going to freewheel it - Making up my own background and using Battlestations as you described. Wish me luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Luck!

Keep us posted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.