Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
So I got this game finally after wanting it for a while. I'm trying to get the rules down which has been a bit of a challenge but I'm working my way through it. Here are some questions I've encountered.

1. Do used workers get taken by any player, like if you send a worker to an opponent's location do they get those workers? I've seen some posts on this forum reference that but I don't see it in the rule book.

2. Am I correct in thinking that the only use for workers is sending them to opponent's open production locations and your own action locations? can you send workers to your own production location?

3. The rule of 3 says you can send 3 workers to 3 other player locations. I was a bit confused how sending 2 workers after another player worked. If another opponent has sent a worker to a open production factory can I send my own worker to it too? Can I send workers to my own open production factory to get another resource? Can I send workers to my or an opponent's base card to get another resource? does sending a worker to an action space of my own count against my sending 3 worker limit? I guess I'm slightly confused how sending workers to cards (both mine and my opponents) works and what limitations there are.

4. Do workers have any use prior to anything being incorporated? I mean, in the case of Hedge and New York, it seems they NEED to get a location with a distance of 1 or 0 in order to do anything at the start of the game (all other factions can get tokens higher than 1).

5. What advantage does New York have over the Hegemony? Looking at there starting stuff New York seems to be strictly inferior to the Hegemony. New York Starts with 1 scrap which can only be used for 1 incorporation token. Hegemony gets a universal token which can be used as 1 of anything. Other than that everything else about the 2 is identical except it's more difficult for New York to gain blue cooperation tokens. I can't see any advantage that New York has though I have no experience so maybe I'm missing it.

6. Can the universal contact token be combined with any other token type?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only answer based on how things were in 51st State (original, not Master Set). Hopefully most of it will apply to New Era. The 51st State rulebook is available online, so you can follow along.

allstar64 wrote:
1. Do used workers get taken by any player, like if you send a worker to an opponent's location do they get those workers? I've seen some posts on this forum reference that but I don't see it in the rule book.

Confirming your suspicion, page 10 says "When a Worker is sent to an opponent’s Location, the player’s Faction token is placed on the opponent’s card and a Worker token is given to the opponent."

Quote:
2. Am I correct in thinking that the only use for workers is sending them to opponent's open production locations and your own action locations? can you send workers to your own production location?

The 4 worker uses are covered on pages 9-10. You can use workers to activate your own locations or your opponent's locations, or you can discard 2 workers to gain any 1 basic resource. To use a worker at a location, it must have the worker icon in the correct spot (depending on whether it is your location or your opponent's).

Quote:
If another opponent has sent a worker to a open production factory can I send my own worker to it too?

Yes. Each of you would mark that you have sent workers to that location, so neither of you could do so a second time. But yet another opponent could send a worker there once.

Quote:
Can I send workers to my own open production factory to get another resource?

If the card has a worker icon on your side, you can activate it with worker(s). Otherwise, no. I never really grasped the "open production" terminology, so I don't trust myself to use it correctly here.

Quote:
Can I send workers to my or an opponent's base card to get another resource?

No, but you can discard 2 workers to gain a basic resource.

Quote:
does sending a worker to an action space of my own count against my sending 3 worker limit?

You can only send 3 of your own workers to each of your own locations. To track this, leave the workers on the location they activated. You can only send 3 workers (or pairs of workers) to an opponent's location. To track this, you have 3 faction tokens. Each time you send worker(s) to an opponent's location, you mark that location with a faction token.

Quote:
4. Do workers have any use prior to anything being incorporated?

Discard 2 workers to get 1 basic resource. Otherwise, I don't think they do.

Quote:
5. What advantage does New York have over the Hegemony?

I think that's a New Era question that I can't answer.

Quote:

I believe so. As page 10 says of universal contact tokens, "These Range values allow a player to Incorporate, Establish Contact with, or Conquer a Location bearing the 1 / 2 / 3 Distance value or to increase these actions’ Range by 1 / 3." (Emphasis added)

EDIT: It would be great if you could edit your first post and change the subject to something more specific. That will help people searching later to know whether or not this thread might answer their questions. Something like "How are workers used?", perhaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Oh I missed that 2 workers can be discarded to gain 1 resource. That does answer a lot of things I was confused about like making it meaningless to send 2 workers anywhere just to gain 1 resource.

peakhope wrote:
I can only answer based on how things were in 51st State (original, not Master Set). Hopefully most of it will apply to New Era. The 51st State rulebook is available online, so you can follow along.

allstar64 wrote:

Confirming your suspicion, page 10 says "When a Worker is sent to an opponent’s Location, the player’s Faction token is placed on the opponent’s card and a Worker token is given to the opponent."

Page 10 of the 51st State rule book or The New Era rulebook? I don't see this referenced in the New Era Rule book.

Quote:
Quote:
Can I send workers to my own open production factory to get another resource?

If the card has a worker icon on your side, you can activate it with worker(s). Otherwise, no. I never really grasped the "open production" terminology, so I don't trust myself to use it correctly here.

Thanks actually a good heuristic. Production buildings don't have workers on your side so i guess they cannot be used by you (I see not reference to them being used by you so I wasn't sure)

Quote:
Quote:
does sending a worker to an action space of my own count against my sending 3 worker limit?

You can only send 3 of your own workers to each of your own locations. To track this, leave the workers on the location they activated. You can only send 3 workers (or pairs of workers) to an opponent's location. To track this, you have 3 faction tokens. Each time you send worker(s) to an opponent's location, you mark that location with a faction token.

Okay makes sense

Quote:
Quote:

I believe so. As page 10 says of universal contact tokens, "These Range values allow a player to Incorporate, Establish Contact with, or Conquer a Location bearing the 1 / 2 / 3 Distance value or to increase these actions’ Range by 1 / 3." (Emphasis added)

Again this is in the 51st state rulebook or the new era rulebook? I couldn't find a clear explanation in the New Era rulebook other than it saying it can be used as any contact token which I;m guessing means it can be combined as well.

Quote:
EDIT: It would be great if you could edit your first post and change the subject to something more specific. That will help people searching later to know whether or not this thread might answer their questions. Something like "How are workers used?", perhaps.

I would but my questions touch a lot of subjects like workers, universal contact tokens and faction differences.

Also another question, are resources and contact tokens counter limited? if no contact tokens of a number and type remain can I just not get those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Page 10 of the 51st State rule book or The New Era rulebook? I don't see this referenced in the New Era Rule book.

I only have access to the 51st State rulebook, so I was referring to those page numbers. You can download your own copy here: Rulebook.

In the New Era forums, there is a reference to combining tokens in this thread, but I think it only addresses part of your original question: Contact Cards and Tokens. This thread also touches on the topic: cards that produce contact token question.

In 51st State, I don't think there is ever a need for a distance of more than 3. However, it sounds like in New Era, you sometimes need a distance of 4 or 5. Unless there are larger tokens available, it sounds like you MUST be allowed to combine them, to hit those values.

Quote:
Quote:
EDIT: It would be great if you could edit your first post and change the subject

I would but my questions touch a lot of subjects like workers, universal contact tokens and faction differences.

Fair enough. Maybe: "Questions about workers, universal contact tokens, and New York/Hegemony"?

Quote:
Also another question, are resources and contact tokens counter limited? if no contact tokens of a number and type remain can I just not get those?

I don't have an official answer, but I would personally play them as unlimited. When a game comes with a big pile of resources, I assume they are not intended to be limited unless the rules specifically say so. However, I know other players feel pieces are limited unless the rules say otherwise.

I don't see anything in the 51st State rules, 51st State rules forum, or New Era rules forum that addresses this question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.