Subject: BGG's Complexity Ratings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Gershuny
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hi,

BGG's complexity ratings do not make any sense. They are very subjective, since it is up to the users to vote.
I feel that there should be more objective criteria to go by.

For example, I looked at the complexity ratings of both Star Trek: Frontiers and Mage Knight. Obviously Mage Knight is the heavier game. In Star Trek: Frontiers they streamlined some things to make it slightly less complex.
However, according to the complexity ratings of BGG, voters gave Mage Knight a rating of 4.20, but gave Star Trek: Frontiers an even higher rating of 4.23, which makes no sense whatsoever.

In addition, I was comparing the Mission: Red Planet - 2nd Edition with the 1st Edition version of the game. After going through a few threads to research, it looks like there is not that much of a difference between the two editions. The biggest difference I see is that the 2nd Edition added the moon, as well as the ability to play the game 6-players.
This, in my subjective opinion, would make the 2nd Edition, if anything a heavier game than the First Edition.
However, when I compared the two editions on the complexity rating scales, I found the following ratings:
1st Edition: 2.32
2nd Edition: 2.22
Which would indicate the 1st Edition as being the slightly heavier game.

But it would make more sense if there was an elemental type of table which could be used to add up different components of games which could help with these ratings.

Another suggestion I have is for BGG to extend the choices, and include the following options in the voter polls:

a) Light Rating = 1
b) Light to Medium-Light Rating = Between 1 & 2 = Midpoint = 1.5
c) Medium-Light Rating = 2
d) Medium-Light to Medium Rating = Between 2 & 3 = Midpoint = 2.5
e) Medium Rating = 3
f) Medium to Medium-Heavy Rating = Between 3 & 4 = Midpoint = 3.5
g) Medium-Heavy Rating = 4
h) Medium-Heavy to Heavy Rating = Between 4 & 5 = Midpoint = 4.5
i) Heavy Rating = 5

Adding more choices would shrink the number rating down to a more specific range. I started thinking of a way to include numbers over a continuous range.
For example, the complexity rating for Star Trek: Frontiers is currently 4.23. Currently, I have 2 choices. I could rate it a 4 - Medium-Heavy - and bring the average of the game down, or I could rate it a 5 - Heavy and move it up. This scale would let them more closely match the rating by adding a rating of 4.5 (or 4 <= R < 5 where R = the Complexity Rating).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.