Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say I have Howe in a camped out holding a spot in one of the one location colonies with 8 CU. if the Americans were able to defeat me I know you can only retreat/move with up to 5 units so what about the rest? I'm guessing they can retreat elsewhere but I'm curious because under Americans pre-battle retreat the remaining units stay and fight it out but that can't happen with the British who have already fought the battle and lost at the point in question. So would they be allowed to retreat with left over CU's to another legal location besides the one the general and his 5 CU's took or are they captured?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no size limit for a retreating force; retreat is NOT movement.

A retreating force must retreat to ONE space: 9.61 B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
There is no size limit for a retreating force; retreat is NOT movement.

A retreating force must retreat to ONE space: 9.61 B.

Good to know, I thought maybe it was considered movement since they mentioned American armies retreating and having to leave CU behind. But that must be part of the special circumstance of their ability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be Avoiding Combat, which is a special type of Movement, not a Retreat.

A General can only move with 5 CUs, whether through the play of an Operations Card or, for an American General, by rolling what's necessary to react to British Movement (either Interception or Avoid Combat). However, when a Battle is lost, ALL forces on the losing side must Retreat together; if the defender is the loser, that may involve more than 5 CUs. In other words, in a Retreat, the General is not moving any units and thus the 5 CU maximum does not apply; indeed, Retreats may be made withOUT Generals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan F
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
That would be Avoiding Combat, which is a special type of Movement, not a Retreat.

A General can only move with 5 CUs, whether through the play of an Operations Card or, for an American General, by rolling what's necessary to react to British Movement (either Interception or Avoid Combat). However, when a Battle is lost, ALL forces on the losing side must Retreat together; if the defender is the loser, that may involve more than 5 CUs. In other words, in a Retreat, the General is not moving any units and thus the 5 CU maximum does not apply; indeed, Retreats may be made withOUT Generals.

Thank you for the very clear response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.