Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
WJ C
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like everyone has pledged for this, and probably for multiple copies...wondering will the resell value be $100+?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loud
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruazn2 wrote:
Looks like everyone has pledged for this, and probably for multiple copies...wondering will the resell value be $100+?

I guess a full pledge , without extras around 170/200 pounds , then it depends how good is it , if is really good game , double that to 400 max.

There is always someone , once the game is out , in need of a KS copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the supply and demand in April 2018 which
Depends on how popular the game is in relation to other games on the market which
Depends on whether the gameplay is well received which
Depends on the final design of the game which
Is subjective and hasnt been finalised.

Might as well be dealing with stocks and shares over here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dakka resellers have noted that CMON flipping hasn't made as much as in the past. Rising shipping prices aren't helping, and CMON's Retailer Pledge lets retailers order 12 copies at a 40% discount. I still haven't read posts by flippers who lost money, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you'll lose money. Don't buy for profit, but do feel assured that if you decide to offload it when you receive it that you'll not see a loss.

Note that you may need to sell it immediately when you get it, as that's when demand will be highest (non-backers hearing about the game before it hits retail).

Also note that even though you won't lose money, you will be tying up that money for a year before you can recoup it.

Still a pretty safe gamble overall and you will almost surely regret not having backed it if you decide you want the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Dakka resellers have noted that CMON flipping hasn't made as much as in the past. Rising shipping prices aren't helping, and CMON's Retailer Pledge lets retailers order 12 copies at a 40% discount. I still haven't read posts by flippers who lost money, though.

Yes, shipping cost is really becoming a drag, especially across the country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage Kickstarters still go for $400 on eBay, but that campaign only had 9,800 backers. RS is already at 22,500 backers and not even midway through. Also, retailers will be receiving the Kickstarter version too. Supply and demand are going to be working against the resale value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also depends on how patient you are. Trying to sell it as soon as it arrives probably won't get you much more than you paid for it. But wait a year and let other resellers/retailers sell off their surplus, and you can probably make a decent profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that this one will be flooding the secondary market with full KS packs when it comes out. Not enough to keep me from buying it now; but enough to keep me from wanting to buy extras to sell. I might go with two. Typically; you can get enough with one extra pledge to cover your costs on both,..... but this one may be so saturated at the start that you'd have to wait some time for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clubb
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are going to break even or make a small profit, at best.

As someone pointed out, Blood Rage had around 9,800 backers, then the game became a big hit,pushing the price of the Kickstarter set up in price due to rarity.

As I type this, Rising Sun has 22,570 backers. People are starting to realize that CMON KS copies of games tend to go up in value due to all the extras/exclusives, so I would guess that there are quite a few backers that intend to resell the game.

I bet once pledges are delivered next year, EBay, the BGG Marketplace, etc will be flooded with KS copies.

My .02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Regardless of the number of backers, you know the day after it ends, there will be a post: "I missed this, how do I get a copy" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you will see Blood Rage prices, but I agree that you are very likely to break even or get a little profit.

As a point of reference, Massive Darkness has 22k backers and the $120 pledges with no add-ons seem to be going for about $170-180 here on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/pricehistory/thing/1970...

Also that game is not even released yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
ruazn2 wrote:

Not that many people have pledge for more than one. The average pledge is sitting at $108. That said, unless the game bombs it's pretty unlikely a flipper wouldn't at least break even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
ruazn2 wrote:

Not that many people have pledge for more than one. The average pledge is sitting at $108. That said, unless the game bombs it's pretty unlikely a flipper wouldn't at least break even.

To my surprise not many people have pledged for a second copy.
Maybe that is something that will happen in the last few days of the campaign.

The comparison with blood rage is misleading as CMON were not that well known at that time and kickstarters were not as comon as they are now.

I would have pledged for several of their campaigns if they would run now.

Also our hobby is growing so the customer basis is growing.

I think it is fair to assume that you would get at 50% return on your pledge.
The exclusives are allready plentifull and the other stuff added now looks like to be a standalone expansion.

I am seriously considering to back for a second copy and if only 10% of all backers would do that 2 more stretchgoals would be unlocked ( adding more value to the game) and possibly attracting more backers.

This would increase the value of the game you keep for yourself. The resell value won't change much because of availibility and demand. More people will be demanding it because it has more. Yet more people are looking to flip this ome too.

My reasoning now is to flip the second copy for covering the shipping costs.
and hopefully receive more extras from the pledge if some people will do the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
I think most people (myself included) are not in the hobby to flip games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
KrisVerbeeck wrote:

Yet flipping CMON games is the easiest money around...which can be used to fund my board game hobby. whistle

I like the Kickstarter model because, unlike scalping, buying more copies means more copies are being produced. You are increasing the supply. Which basically removes any valid reason for looking down one's nose at a reseller. I suppose one could fault CMON for using their (extremely successful) exclusives tactics, but anyone who takes advantage of the secondary market is simply being smart. None of my hobbies were started to make money, but there's no way I'm leaving money on the table.

Unless this game bombs, it's a given the resell price will be over $100. It already has enough free expansions and exclusives to guarantee that. But unless the gameplay is good, it won't go too high, just as others have said. However, the size and beauty of the models may create another market for it--ie, people who just want display pieces. I figure someone will paint up a set to match the artwork and sell it for >$1k at some point.

A set that includes exclusive add-ons, particularly ones people are waffling on (like the oversized play mat), will likely fetch much higher prices. Blood Rage is a perfect example. People were paying $100+ extra for listings that included the 5th player expansion...when that same expansion (including the KS extras) was being sold for <$50 in numerous other listings. It's a game of emotion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I do end up grabbing a second copy I will do it in the pledge manager, to ease the immediate pain on my wallet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you want the game now but change your mind when it gets here I assume you'd be able to recoup the cost. As an investment there are probably much better ways to use your money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
If I do end up grabbing a second copy I will do it in the pledge manager, to ease the immediate pain on my wallet.

This. There's not really much of a reason to pledge for multiple copies now. And I realize that the immediate response for this will involve funding stretch goals, I firmly believe that CMON already has planned out nearly all or more of what will be included in the game, and that large funding spikes only prompts them to spread out the planned stretch goals further. (If this was not the case, the stretch goals would have been spaced out more like Blood Rage's were, and we'd have funded all of the stretch goals on the first day of the campaign.)

As to resale value, I think that even in the worst case scenario, a KS pledge package should be worth considerably more than $100. After all, it will include the core game, upgraded core game components, 2-3 expansions, and a further expansion-equivalent worth of exclusives. Without considering exclusive rarity, that should be worth at least $200 retail (or $150 OLGS).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gokufan wrote:
As an investment there are probably much better ways to use your money.

Really? What can reliably return 200-400% in a year or two? I'm all ears. thumbsupbagbagbag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
KrisVerbeeck wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/165708/closed-ogre-kickst...

I am confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
Gokufan wrote:
As an investment there are probably much better ways to use your money.

Really? What can reliably return 200-400% in a year or two? I'm all ears. thumbsupbagbagbag

As reliably as buying a house was when everyone was buying everything to avoid missing out on the the rising market? At least the cost is fixed in the case of Kickstarters.

I guess that at worst you'd have a bad game with lots of cool figures, and there will usually be a market for good miniatures. The question is how many buyers are left if the market is saturated for a few years because everyone else thought the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Talk to those who bought B-Sieged lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
KrisVerbeeck wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/165708/closed-ogre-kickst...

I am confused.
I have sold games before, including unplayed stuff I got on KS, but I have never bought anything with the sole intention of selling it. I bought those extra counters for myself during the original KS, but later, after getting the game, decided I wasn't going to use them. Same was true of my Twilight Struggle Collector's Edition which I also sold.

BTW I have no issue with people buying extra copies to sell, but I think most people on this site are primarily interested in buying stuff for themselves to play and are not really interested in buying stuff just to flip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:

As reliably as buying a house was when everyone was buying everything to avoid missing out on the the rising market? At least the cost is fixed in the case of Kickstarters.

To be sure, the days of making 500%+ are mostly gone (wish I was on KS back then), but the risk is far, far less than buying an inflated house during a bubble. For the most part, you are paying MSRP on KS, plus shipping. That keeps the risk low with companies like CMON due to the exclusives and freebie retail add-ons they typically throw in. If the whole board game hobby crashes, then maybe. But people are still shelling out $70-80 for new big box games at their favorite retailer.

ras2124 wrote:

BTW I have no issue with people buying extra copies to sell, but I think most people on this site are primarily interested in buying stuff for themselves to play and are not really interested in buying stuff just to flip.

I'm going to suggest a third, more likely option: people who do both. I don't buy KS games just to resell. But if if I'm buying a game for myself, and it looks like a great deal, I might buy a spare to sell (or to keep for myself for spare parts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.