Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Condottiere» Forums » General

Subject: Fake versions on Ebay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi,

I just became aware of this game and it looks super interesting. Like a mini El Grande. But I can't find it in stock anywhere for a reasonable price. There's a lot of people on Ebay selling a Chinese copy for cheap. It has Chinese text on the cover under the English name, and the FFG logo, but that doesn't match any version listed here on BGG.

Are these fake copies?

Edit:
Some links
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...ghqcAAOSwzaJX3-J3

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...g-poAAOSwopRYf8CJ

This last one has to be fake? No "retail box"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it fake or not but you should be able to find legit French version of the game without too much difficulty on French canadian FOGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Would you have any links? It's out of stock at boardgamebliss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Ames
South Korea
Cheonan-si
Chungcheongnamdo
flag msg tools
Condottiere has a Chinese copy. I don't think that they're fake, so much as some Chinese company probably made a bunch with possibly less than stellar components or something and is now selling it for a Chinese profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pugmire
United States
Sugar City
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have a Chinese version that I picked up when I was living in China. I don't think it's fake. I haven't played another version. But based on pictures, I think quality is comparable. Not great, but I don't think any version of this game is known for great components. Language independent game. Just find the rules online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pugmaster wrote:
I have a Chinese version that I picked up when I was living in China. I don't think it's fake. I haven't played another version. But based on pictures, I think quality is comparable. Not great, but I don't think any version of this game is known for great components. Language independent game. Just find the rules online.

Does your Chinese copy have the Fantasy Flight logo in the bottom right of the box cover, or does it have the yellow icon seen here https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1164701/condottiere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaine Chuey
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
My Spoon is too Big
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the obvious basis for the gwent card game from the Witcher 3. A game I absolutely adore. When I saw the SU&SD video I knew I wanted it.

I just ordered a copy from ebay today. It was $16.99 with shipping included. Expected delivery is 4/14 thru 5/05. When it arrives I will be back to comment on quality and/or sketchiness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Likewise, I've just placed an order on aliexpress. Reading the feedback comments there and the user photos, the copy that people are receiving has the yellow icon lower right on the box, like the Chinese edition linked above. This makes a lot of sense, and it's quite possible they are legitimate Chinese editions.

I'm unsure why the photos have the Fantasy Flight logos - I can only assume the photos are fake. Which does add to the sketchiness. Perhaps it's just to attract customers who know the FFG logo but not the Chinese one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluffy_Swaggins wrote:
This is the obvious basis for the gwent card game from the Witcher 3. A game I absolutely adore. When I saw the SU&SD video I knew I wanted it.

From my understanding (and memory) of what I've read about Gwent and this game, Gwent is 2 players only (or works fine with 2), but this game will not work with 2 at all. That seems to be the biggest difference. So just be aware of that, if you're not already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
g54pcys wrote:
Gwent is 2 players only (or works fine with 2)

Which of those is correct please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It appears it's 2 player only. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/178147/gwent-monsters-an...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pugmire
United States
Sugar City
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
g54pcys wrote:
pugmaster wrote:

Does your Chinese copy have the Fantasy Flight logo in the bottom right of the box cover, or does it have the yellow icon seen here https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1164701/condottiere

Mine looks like the one in the linked picture, with the yellow icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought one of the Chinese copies a month or so back and received it a couple of weeks ago, well ahead of scheduled delivery. It seems to be listed in the Versions section here: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameversion/138867/chinese-ed.... How official or otherwise it is I'm still not clear. There is a rulebook in Chinese included, which suggests some actual effort when into producing it I suppose.

The wooden components are indeed a bit rough, and I have some missing/wrongly coloured cubes for one player. Easily fixed though. I've never seen another copy of the game so can't compare, but the cards and the map are... fine? I'd say the cards are of a similar print quality and stock to those in my copy of Citadels, which was in the same line of FF small box games.

So yeah, certainly entirely playable (excepting the need to scrounge some cubes if we play with six) and available in Europe and the US for a reasonable price. Whether FFG actually agreed to its production I have no idea! I'd say buy it. I've not had chance to play it yet sadly - hoping to sort that soon though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
disco bee (and others), would you mind measuring the card sizes for me in millimeters? I have some sleeves I need to return, but on the chance they are the correct size it might save me some trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
I make it 86mm * 57mm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't suppose you (or anyone else with the Chinese edition) happen to have any Mayday USA Chimera - Orange: Standard (MDG-7044, 100/pack) (57.5 x 89mm) sleeves, and any Mayday Standard USA Card - Purple: Standard (MDG-7040, 100/pack) (56 x 87mm) sleeves, on hand to test out?

The card size sounds like it wants to be Std USA height, but possibly a touch wide. These sleeves might have enough extra space to fit however, and it's possible the USA Chimera are too wide (and certainly too high).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid not, I don't sleeve my cards - though I probably should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My copy arrived from AliExpress, and the cards fit Mayday Standard USA Card - Purple: Standard (MDG-7040, 100/pack) (56 x 87mm) sleeves for reference. The Mayday USA Chimera - Orange: Standard (MDG-7044, 100/pack) (57.5 x 89mm) sleeves are too wide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.