Subject: noob threeplayer game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, yesterday we played Cthulhu Wars. Since I currently have no expansions, I used a local Facebook boardgame group to find three people in this city who are interested, and invited them. Sadly, a couple of hours before the gaming evening would start, one of them called in sick, and so it was just three of us left.

Players
I have played the game twice before, quite a while ago.
Player 2) has also played the game twice before.
Player 3) has never played the game.

Factions
As the host I let the other schoose their factions first. Player 2 (blue) went for the Crawling Chaos, as that was the faction he had played his two previous games with, and with which he won both. Player 3) (red) went with the Black Goat, and so I had the choice left between Cthulhu and the Yellow Sign. Since I had played Cthulhu before, I chose the Yellow Sign, to try something new.

Now, as said, red didn't know the game. I knew it a bit, but I've never read a strategy guide or something, as I first like to explore a game myself and try to understand things myself before seeking advice of others.

Early Game
The game started, with blue being quite aggressive, quickly summoning monsters to capture cultists. I responded by giving red some Doom Points, unlocking one of my spellbooks. I chose the one that would give me power whenever I'd lose a cultist, to even out blues aggressiveness. Else, my plan was to first build a gate and then quickly summon the King in Yellow to start desacrating areas and maybe get some units that way too. Red basically did the same, mostly building gates peacefully and not interfering.

Mid Game
I was unlocking spellbooks quite quickly, as the other players didn't try too hard to prevent me from desecrating areas. I also turned some of blues cultists into undead, and thus evening out him stealing my gates. In the average, I was at about three gates and four cultists a turn, as well as some desecrated areas. My plan was to get some more Byakhees through the desecration ability and use them to be more aggressive against blue. I was hesitant with summoning Hastur, as that would mean spending basically an entire turn for just one action, and I was worried of losing him.

Blue kept being quite aggressive. He was in the average on four gates, thus earning quite much more power and doom points than the other players. I tried motivating red to get a bit more active, but at the same time I don't want to actually tell players what to do, and I am not that experienced in the game myself. Blue also got their GOO first.

Red mostly kept on some areas, guarding the gates. Once red moved into a blue territory, and scared them off.

Late Game

By now, I had a couple of Byakhees ready to strike, a part of my undead was travelling with the King, while the rest was annoying blue, threatening to zombify his cultists.

Blue kept marching around with its GOO and quickly moving units to capture the gates it lost, staying at four gates in the average.

Red was between two and three gates most of the time, and wasn't doing that much.

This was the moment when the game ended with blue reaching 30 doom points. I was in the range of twenty and a little bit, and red was about to reach twenty points.

Conclusion
The game was fun, all in all. Still, I think that a four player game would have worked better in evening out the skill / experience discrepancies.

What I think I could have done better is actually spending a turn early on to summon Hastur, and trusting him, two or so undeads, the King and a cultist to act as meat shields if necessary. I was just worried too much of losing him to blue quickly, as blue has that much more power.

Red said he felt quite powerless in the game. That the quickly moving blue units seemed very strong, while he was always low on energy. I think that was mostly because of him being so passive. If, once it turned out that blue was starting to snowball, he'd have applied pressure on blue, things might have been a bit different, as blue can't react at the same time to me and red.

Blue played very well, and I think it showed that he'd played the faction a couple of times before.

I think I will read some strategy guides for future games. I assume that in a month or two I will have the expansions, in which case I can invite like six players for a game. Even if one calls in sick, five players should be enough to keep the game more aggressive and active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try summoning Hastur as early as possible, turn 2-3 depending on how risky you like to be.

Don't rely on the other players, especially a new one, to do your dirty work for you. You needed to take on blue yourself. This is especially true in a three player game. To avoid one player giving the game away to another, both players need to unite against the leader. In your case, you knew this and the other player was new and playing one of the tougher factions, especially on the three player map. Pick on blue and give red a shot at winning while you two fight. If you get lucky, you may still win if red keeps it passive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice.

The thing is, as of yet, I have no fixed group to play CW with. The city I live in has a lot of gamers, and a lot of people who are interested in CW and a couple ones even have it. But as such, the groups are quite heterogenous in matters of skill and experience in CW.

On the one hand, I like to explore a game myself first. To see what is happening, what is having what effect, and to come myself to conclusions on what is there. That's why I always like to try out as many factions and game modes as possible of games I'm interested in. Additionally, it seems a bit unfair to me, if I read through strategy guides, while I play against people who don't know the game yet. Then again, I've played the game a couple of times, and the chance for entirely new players showing up regularly is high, so maybe it's time for strategy guides to further deepen my understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the strategy guides, you can find both the easiest factions to play, as well as make suggestions to players what faction to play based on their play style (is there a passive faction???). I also like to try different factions (and characters in other thematic games), but that means you're trading depth for breadth, which is fine, since you'll be playing against new players.

You could preface your games that this is a game that has a learning curve based on the faction abilities, and that it is an "ally against the leader" game, where losing players need to work together to catch up with the leader, rather than let him continue winning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed in games with new players they typically avoid battle or wait until battle is pretty much guaranteed to be in their favor. This allows one player to run away with the game usually. As people play more they learn the value of declaring small skirmishes, even just to pain enemies away from areas and cause chaos.

Also, in my opinion Cthulhu Wars scales really well. I'd say that it only gets better with more players because it allows more opportunities for everyone to exploit. But I've never played more than 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
davidryanandersson wrote:
I've noticed in games with new players they typically avoid battle or wait until battle is pretty much guaranteed to be in their favor. This allows one player to run away with the game usually. As people play more they learn the value of declaring small skirmishes, even just to pain enemies away from areas and cause chaos.

Also, in my opinion Cthulhu Wars scales really well. I'd say that it only gets better with more players because it allows more opportunities for everyone to exploit. But I've never played more than 6.

I've played 7 a few times and it takes longer but it is an absolute blast to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
davidryanandersson wrote:

I've played 7 a few times and it takes longer but it is an absolute blast to play.

Yeah... we finally played a 7 player Epic Game... was very cool! Definitely have to make some "friends".. (lol)... I won as Yellow Sign... just by 1 point though!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.