Subject: True_Dave versus Bristol's FNM scene (intro and week 1) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
(Firstly, a note about my use of the word ‘versus’. In the past, my session reports have always been about solo or co-op games meaning they document myself taking on the game, and for consistency I’ve carried that on here. I was not charging into my local FNM scene jabbing eyes and kicking crotches.)

Background

About six months ago I switched jobs and one of the ladies in the building where I now work is a very keen Magic: the Gathering player. As I used to collect and play in the early days we soon got to batting emails back and forward about the game (although I stepped back from organised play around about 2003 I’ve still kept abreast of how the game has developed and played casually with a few close friends since this time), and she kept inviting me to come along to FNM. I kept declining, because my previous experience had been that some players take the game way too seriously and it stopped being fun when faced with individuals like that (the final straw was a player I’d beaten in a local event coming storming into the FLGS where I was playing a few games with friends demanding that I play them again. When I explained that I wasn’t going to play them as I was simply there to enjoy some time with my friends I honestly thought they were going to start trashing the shop, and fortunately the shop owner stepped in and removed them from the premises before they did anything more than stamp their feet and shout. After that I decided I couldn’t be bothered with the organised play scene and no longer play with anyone other than close friends). But my board gaming group seems to have become much more of a drinking group since the new year, and suffering from gaming withdrawal, I decided to give FNM a go. It helped that Kaladesh looked really interesting, with it’s vehicles and crew, fabricate and energy mechanics, and stunning to boot.

Of course, I needed a deck. Planning ahead I decided that, if this was something I found that I enjoyed, I would build from Kaladesh forward; this meant that any cards I bought would be standard legal for the maximum amount of time, and would also allow me to try out the new mechanics of the set. Energy looked cool and seemed to have some nice synergies, but I couldn’t help thinking that it would be a one block mechanic. There seemed to be a lot of potential with fabricate and the modules, but I just couldn’t get it running how I’d like it to. Then I noticed the modifications in Aether Revolt, and they really got me thinking. In my experience, any card with allows you to circumnavigate a drawback designed to balance another card can lead to some pretty powerful plays. With this in mind I built a R/W ‘Waymo’ Vehicles deck and went on the WotC locator to find a local event to play in.

It turns out that Bristol has four listed WPN locations, and so far I’ve managed to attend three of these.

Area 51

In the interest of full disclosure, I really like Area 51. I count it as my FLGS (despite it being on the other side of the city from me), but
I’ve never actually played there since they moved to their current location further up Gloucester Road.

Their gaming space is above the shop and consists of two rooms, well stocked with tables, chairs and board games. Due to numbers (7 of us, the owner did say that they struggle to generate interest in Standard) we only used the smaller back room. It might not have the best quality furnishings, but it was warm, well lit and easily able to cope with the numbers.

Rather than FNM, this was actually classed as a Games Day (does that make a difference, anyone?) and the power level of the decks in attendance was, shall we say, on the high side? Numerous T1 decks were being played, but in a very casual manner which seemed at odds to my previous experience (bad decks played by super serious players). Needless to say, I lost every round, but before the evening started I played a warm up game against a guy called Pete (7 players and at least 2 were called Pete, plus another Dave. And I complain about a lack of diversity among peoples decks…) and managed to run over his Saheeli/Cat deck with a turn three Siege Modification on my Consulate Dreadnought. That was pretty encouraging.

All in, I finished the evening with a booster pack, a promo card and a smile on my face.

thumbsupRelaxed, welcoming group (one player even offered me a sausage)

thumbsupthumbsdownHigh standard of decks/players

thumbsdownVenue sometimes struggles to get enough players for Standard (by their own admission)

Other observations: My deck needs a sideboard, I need to learn to shuffle again.

Weeks 2 & 3 can be found here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Game Day events are supposed to be 3 or 4 weeks after each standard product launch. The last Game Day was Feb 11-12, and the next one should be May 20-21.

They are supposed to be casual Standard. It is encouraged that stores have relaxed rules enforcement and many stores do reduced (or even free) entry as the main goal of that day is to get people to tip their toe in constructed tournament play, not to serve as a competitive pro-level championship. A lot of players who would ordinarily play their best and strongest decks in competitive events will bring a more casual or playful brew to Game Day.

Of course, once you put swag like full-art cards and playmats on the line, some players will invariably go for the throat despite the intended low-octane ideal. Game Day play *should* be less intense than FNM play.

Care to give some details on your deck composition? You tipped as much as Consulate Dreadnought and Siege Modification, but I am interested in seeing where else you went with the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for clarifying the difference between FNM and a Games Day.

R/W 'Waymo'

6 Mountains
3 Plains
4 Inspiring Vantage
1 Needle Spires
4 Aether Hub
3 Spire of Industry

4 Sram, Senior Edificer (is he meant to look like Hellboy?)

4 Consulate Dreadnought
3 Sky Skiff
4 Aethersphere Harvester
4 Cultivator's Caravan
4 Peacewalker Colossus

3 Open the Armory
2 Caught in the Brights
4 Siege Modification
3 Start your Engines
4 Aerial Modification

The idea is that you drop your vehicles early on, followed by (hopefully) a Siege Modification on turn 3 and start running them over. Sram gives you lots of card draws to help find the pieces you need, and Open the Armory can act like having extra copies of the modifications in your library. Despite the idea being that 1 of 19 cards (vehicles) meets 1 of 13 cards (modifications, open the armory and start your engines) I had terrible luck actually getting my vehicles online in most games, but I wonder if this was mainly due to my rather lazy overhand shuffling technique. I've since watched a YouTube video on shuffling techniques and have a much better idea of what I'm doing now.

When deckbuilding I tend to build what I want to play rather than what I think will win, and try to avoid having to buy expensive cards (but I've no problem with begging and borrowing them. I do draw the line at stealing them though.) I also purposely avoid looking online to see what other people have done, but I have checked since and it seems that my deck is at least along the same lines as others out there. I had initially included a playset of Hedron Crawler's as a way to ramp up even faster, but found that I was getting mana flooded (after getting mana shorted during the first week), so they went. Unfortunately I can't find the sideboard for my deck, but it wasn't anything outstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.