Hide
7 Posts

Secret Hitler» Forums » General

Subject: How to stop endless discussions in the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eugene Popadyuk
msg tools
In the begging of the game we need about ~1 minute for every decision, so game moves fast.

However, when third fascist police placed, it takes a lot of time (15+ minutes!) to discuss who are going to be a chancellor and so on.

Are there any tricks to reduce time of discussions in the game to like 5-10 minutes and give everyone chance to share their opinions in the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Phillips
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've played this a number of times. We tend to just let the discussion go because I've always found that to be part of the fun. However, if you are looking to limit the time so you can either get more plays in or move on to other games I have a couple of options you could try.

1) A standard egg timer. After the discussion starts to circle just set if it for 1, 2, or 3, minutes and make a house rule that if no decision is made by the time the timer dings then it counts as a failed vote, advance the failed vote tracker and go again.

2) We bought a crab mallet to use as a gavel. The sitting (aka soon to be outvoted) president, at some point says okay time to vote and whacks the table once. Everyone puts a card in, two whacks and cards flip. Rinse and repeat.

Not sure how helpful this was but these are my ideas, such as they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Players should just recognize when the discussion has stalled and is just running in circles.

I don't think a time limit on discussion is the right thing, because it's pretty much a big part of what makes the game good.

If you have a 15 minute discussion where theories are moving forward and people have an open mind and good points are being made, I'm all for that.

On the other hand, even five minutes of back and forth where players are at an impasse can be too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Timed shock buzzers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Ujhelyi
msg tools
Our idea for this problem in the Resistance game was to allow the leader (president in Secret Hitler) to say we have discussed the current proposals/situation enough, and call for a vote disallowing any discussion.

Of course this gives a fascist president an extra option to cut the really important discussion short, so this power has to be regulated (either via meta-game, e.g. cutting the discussion short early means something fishy, or via some rules, e.g. to have a minimum time before the discussion can be cut short).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont see this as an issue really, as the game is SOCIAL deduction. But if everyone agrees ahead of time (because it is a house rule) you can let the President control the vote if thats where the issue is.

Repbulic of Rome does the same thing, HRAO can let discussion go on or call for a vote, if you dont vote when called on, you have abstained and the game can carry on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me Stillme
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Our group has a few people who will take 10-20 minutes for any and every decision if we let them. What I just did was ordered a 3 minute hour glass. What we've agreed upon is that at any point someone can call for a 3 minute timer on a decision. For that to go through though it will need 2 more confirmations.

We like this idea because people trying to rush through votes might be another little piece of evidence on who's on what side. Hopefully this goes well because some people just turn these games into mega marathons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.