Subject: I'm no good at BoW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel DuBois
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I'm pretty expert at base; I've got an embarrassingly large number of games there and a pretty good rating (although, annoyingly, I can't hang onto "Expert"). But BoW I feel pretty clueless. I especially have no idea when to use my "BoW powerup". Most games I don't use it at all.

I felt like I was way ahead the first couple turns of this game, because of Ye ole' RFTG "I have windfall and you don't, I win" mechanic. Anyone willing to look at my replay on Boardgame Arena and point out holes in my play? Or point out things my opponent did that allowed him to come back?
https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamereview?table=28353938

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If no one has done it by the next time i stream RFTG, i'll replay your game live on stream, make comments, highlight and post the vod link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Langella
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do a lot of +1,+1 explore. It's useful if you have cards in hand you want to play and need cards to pay for them. Otherwise, it's unlikely to bring much, especially in BoW with the increased variance. And it helps your opponent. Once you get 3-4 explore powers, it's starting to make sense to use them. But then, I would have played Research Lab instead of terraforming engineers. Explore +5 and keep 2 is really strong.
I would have produced more in the beginning. You had 2 production worlds, some consume powers and even some income on produce with the Cantina. Your opponent could leech a bit with his galactic engineers, but it would have been worth it I think. Don't be afraid to do sell+produce in a single turn.
What's this "I have windfall and you don't, I win"? You don't play a windfall world before late game anyway.
I also often forget to use the special action card. The most obvious use is to do a x3 consume on the last turn. It can even trigger the end game sooner than expected. Dev and settle can be strong if it allows you to put down a great card you couldn't afford otherwise. Or to bring it with a better timing. Other prestige actions are very circumstantial, I've never used them. I can imagine doing a prestige explore on the last turn if I have nothing great in hand.
Also, don't forget research. It can really help to kickstart some games with a search for windfall or a military dev for example. Searching for 5+ military or 2x goods consume can be useful midgame too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I think your phase selection doesn't take into account the value of phases to an opponent enough. Explore + Settle is weak in many contexts, but here, with Rebel Freedom Fighters, you can imagine your opponent wants to Settle a small Rebel World or has Rebel Pact. You have Terraforming Engineers and PGSC - you want him to call the phases while you build hand. I would have E+1, Produce.

BoW punishes you much more because of power level. You don't want to give away Builds (Settle or Dev) unless you are doing something big, like locking in Prestige Lead or playing cards that will grant big infrastructure (early game) or big points (late game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ddubois wrote:
I feel like I'm pretty expert at base; I've got an embarrassingly large number of games there and a pretty good rating (although, annoyingly, I can't hang onto "Expert"). But BoW I feel pretty clueless. I especially have no idea when to use my "BoW powerup". Most games I don't use it at all.

I felt like I was way ahead the first couple turns of this game, because of Ye ole' RFTG "I have windfall and you don't, I win" mechanic. Anyone willing to look at my replay on Boardgame Arena and point out holes in my play? Or point out things my opponent did that allowed him to come back?
https://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamereview?table=28353938

The once per game (OPG)? From what I gathered...
the "obvious 3" are...
Rebel Freedom Fighters = development for +1/+2 military
For moments when you get military worlds, esp. REBEL mili-worlds that are just outside your reach, or up to 5-defense

Uplift Merc. Force = windfall chromo world
It gets you +1 military, and the good to sell boosts your wealth

ART = yellow world
While paying for it may be another thing entirely, as least if it's a cheaper yellow world, you can build it. The pfmw power towards yellow means you're not afraid if it's a yellow mili-world

pI
--if you need the extra cards to II or III
--if you don't have the Combine power, but could use it to be able to keep extra cards via "mix and match"
--if you want the potential to get multiple types of good cards, whereas super search only works for one card (e.g., look for a 6-cost, or 5+ world, but not both. Here, it's possible you'll find both, and take them into your hand)

pII
If you want to get in a really good dev early on, like getting in Imperium Invasion Fleet, or a 6-cost for its power.

Or later on, 6-cost/otherwise expensive dev, period, or without throwing away your entire hand. For example, if you anticipate someone will pick III, you can pick pII to be able to get in the 6-cost, while retaining that world you wanted to build (or also be able to pay for it)

pIII
Akin to pII, but here, the extra 2 military can be crucial to settle a military world you'd never be able to get in otherwise. That it provides extra protection against TO (if takeovers are on) can also be a bonus.

The -3 discount can be nice to afford a world that's otherwise outside your reach. If you're low on mili-str b/c you went the pfmw (pay for military world) path, this can be a nice way to afford those military worlds, while the extra mili-str keeps your defense up to prevent your other mili-worlds from being TO-ed. Nice if it's the last round, as the world you just placed will be safe.

For both benefits, even better if you have a card that lets you III 2 worlds in the same III phase, like Rebel Sneak Attack or Improved Logistics

p$IV
A nice way to hedge your bets...
Towards the end of the game, get cards, but getting 2 VP from the power here, not to mention the rest of your goods being IV-ed for x2 gets you more pts if the game ends right then and there, or soon enough.
If used early on, filling your hand can do wonders. If you go over your hand limit, may as well discard for the VP

pIV
--As mentioned by galehar, one useful utility is to end the game sooner on VP pool. For some players, one round would've been all they needed for a power play, like get in a 6-dev, expensive world, or get/steal some goals devil

As a bonus, you usually need 2 rounds to do it again (V, then IV), and if the game ends after the next round, you get a bunch of goods that are only good for the tie-breaker, but not much else, while your other opponents, could've gotten something better out of that timing.

--even if it didn't end the game, getting 1 to 2 rounds closer than otherwise can be exploited to your advantage

--Even just the sheer amount of points can be nice on its own

--With cards like Galactic Renaissance, every VP that gets tripled translates into 4 VP!

--trick people into ending the game sooner by using other options besides getting VP (if you have them, and if you're later in turn order), and then take advantage of them not having goods or cards left for the next round

pV
--alternative to I or pI, which can end up helping your opponents more
--pV on its own can get you more cards vs. what other options have have then
--You may have other V powers, so may as well ensure those kick in
--You're getting the prestige back anyways from V powers that get you a PP (Prestige Point)

--if you value cards more than VP (via IVx3), then may as well pV
--May help to "cooperate" by V for other players who can put the pressure on other players. E.g. include helping them claim a First Goal before other players, or retake a Most Goal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.