Subject: Art rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lawrence gaydos
United States
midwest
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is it just me or does the art look cartoonish and commercial ? Not trying to be a critic, because I could never draw like that, but it feels like the art on an app advertisement or online computer game. For example in the print and play, the fast boots card is really bad. I know its a print and play, etc but when you look at some of the hands on some cards they don't look finished? Just wanting to know if this is final art style or is it going to tighten up some? The art just doesnt give me a dungeon crawl feel. I can't explain it but it feels like a humorous take on the subject. Not all of the cards but enough to make it look like the art you see for stills on a computer puzzle game that makes you think it's some cool adventure game. Again not taking the artists talent away just the style. Any thoughts? Am I way off base? Is it too early to judge? I just don't lnow if i want to invest in art that looks that cartoonish. Cards lke the adventurer and the weapons look good but most of the goblins look too playful. I don't know, just an opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, several of the cards feel too much like the bright, cheerful, colourful, cartoonish style made popular by Blizzard in World of Warcraft / Hearthstone / Overwatch. Personally, I feel that style is a bad fit for Thunderstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to put it out there:

If you are unhappy with the game's art and it is a strong factor for you, don't buy the game. They've already indicated that they will not be modifying the art, and in fact, actually intend for it to be... this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
Just to put it out there:

If you are unhappy with the game's art and it is a strong factor for you, don't buy the game. They've already indicated that they will not be modifying the art, and in fact, actually intend for it to be... this way.

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. Yes for the most part I also believe this art is representative of what it will look like when finished, but there is still going to be a lot of final polish put on the cards. Color adjustment and touching up edges and what not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lawrence gaydos
United States
midwest
flag msg tools
mbmb
I realize that I don't have to buy it. I am not one of those comment guys that complains that a company meet my demands or I will drop. I was just trying to get others opinion on what they thought of it and if anyone new if this was represented in the whole game or if the cartoonish art of the Goblins for example was just that particular set of cards. Yes, I would hope they would respond and say either way, because it very well could affect the decision to purchase. I'm a visual person and if I had to look at 1500+ cards that looked like that Goblin Berzerker or Potion Tester I think the art would kill it for me and make my head spin from the cartoonish look and ultra bright colors. If that is how the art is, then I probably will drop out because I am not one of those people that are always commenting and demanding what they want changed. I just want clarification so I can make a decision. I would rather take my $190 and go pick up Thunderstone Advance (even if it is collector status)because I really like that art. Or buy a few games I know have what I am looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
louman333 wrote:
I realize that I don't have to buy it. I am not one of those comment guys that complains that a company meet my demands or I will drop. I was just trying to get others opinion on what they thought of it and if anyone new if this was represented in the whole game or if the cartoonish art of the Goblins for example was just that particular set of cards. Yes, I would hope they would respond and say either way, because it very well could affect the decision to purchase. I'm a visual person and if I had to look at 1500+ cards that looked like that Goblin Berzerker or Potion Tester I think the art would kill it for me and make my head spin from the cartoonish look and ultra bright colors. If that is how the art is, then I probably will drop out because I am not one of those people that are always commenting and demanding what they want changed. I just want clarification so I can make a decision. I would rather take my $190 and go pick up Thunderstone Advance (even if it is collector status)because I really like that art. Or buy a few games I know have what I am looking for.

Not all of the monster art will look like the goblins. As you said, that "style" is unique to them. AEG has said they want to show the different looks of Thunderstone (or something akin to that). So yes other monsters or hero and village cards may look a bit different than others. Some have criticized this by saying the art has no direction and is all over the place. Whether or not this is bad is up to each of us. Personally I prefer a darker and more consistent art like that of older versions, but I don't think what we are getting is bad enough to not back on the art alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
msg tools
mbmbmb
They've said that once they've got all of the artwork they'll do a final pass to try to unify it as best they can. I don't know exactly how much they'll be able to blend those different styles, but at least they realize that they DO have a couple jarring artworks. I'm with others, the goblins don't sit right with me. They DO seem to be the exception and not the rule, though (from what I've seen).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Garcia
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the art doesn't quite do it for me. Definitely too far into the colorful cartoonish side of the spectrum. It had been bugging me since the beginning of the campaign and after playing a game of Thunderstone Advance today I realized how much I like the look of that game and decided to drop my pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblins tend to be joke enemies, so them in particular being a bit cartoony doesn't really bother me. (A bit less saturation would be nice, though.)

The oversized guard of the "broadsword" annoys me a bit, and the bastard sword-sized "shortsword" makes me want to bang my head against my desk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Slater
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you. I'm not crazy about the art either. I much prefer the art in the previous sets of Thunderstone. I don't think a game like this suits cartoony, colourful art.

However, it doesn't bother me enough to drop my pledge. The gameplay is more important to me. Cool artwork would have been the icing on the cake though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Coli c/o Eastbiz Corp.
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the art here reminds me about WoW and Hearthstone.. while previous Thunderstone reminded me about D&D and was a much better fit.

I was all in the kickstarter, but I am considering to drop my pledge because of it. Why this change? If it bears the same name, it should carry on at least the style of the art.

Imagine a Resident Evil game (video or board, does not matter) suddenly full of Zombicide-like zombies. It would NOT be Resident Evil anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge TS fan. I haven't picked up all of TS:A, but I own everything that came out for the original.

I was eagerly awaiting this KS. Then I saw the art and I, like you, thought "Wow, they turned a really compelling graphical game into Hearthstone".

I played WoW back in the day because my brother did and it was a good way to hang out with him when we lived several states away, but I never got into the artwork style. I'm saddened to see Thunderstone, which employed really sort of traditional fantasy style artwork for the most part, dip into that pool. Not sure if they think it appeals more to a buying demographic now, or if there are so many kids who grew up on WoW that now it's hard to find people who make fantasy art like Frazetta, Elmore, Whelan, etc.

Partially I think it's because we've moved from the classic artwork where it was an actual painting versus this digital artwork. Not to denigrate digital artists, but it has a different look, feel, investment, etc, than a typical canvas like earlier card games had.

So I came to KS page to back, saw the artwork, and was turned off in a big way. Then I saw the claims of "artwork not final", and a few weeks ago the big defenders (like our Lithium friend) were saying "Don't pay attention to the artwork, it's not FINAL". No one said they were going to replace it. That was what the big defenders said to try to sucker in people like me that were concerned. And we were correct - the "art" is being used, it's just being tweaked and color corrected.

No amount of "coloration tweaks" will make the Hobgoblin Lieutenant into a good looking card. Period.

I am sad, because I wanted to back this game. But, as others have said, instead I'm just going to fill out the rest of my TS:A collection. I am sure between all of TS and TS:A I'll have plenty of TS goodness to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
I'm a huge TS fan. I haven't picked up all of TS:A, but I own everything that came out for the original.

I was eagerly awaiting this KS. Then I saw the art and I, like you, thought "Wow, they turned a really compelling graphical game into Hearthstone".

I played WoW back in the day because my brother did and it was a good way to hang out with him when we lived several states away, but I never got into the artwork style. I'm saddened to see Thunderstone, which employed really sort of traditional fantasy style artwork for the most part, dip into that pool. Not sure if they think it appeals more to a buying demographic now, or if there are so many kids who grew up on WoW that now it's hard to find people who make fantasy art like Frazetta, Elmore, Whelan, etc.

Partially I think it's because we've moved from the classic artwork where it was an actual painting versus this digital artwork. Not to denigrate digital artists, but it has a different look, feel, investment, etc, than a typical canvas like earlier card games had.

So I came to KS page to back, saw the artwork, and was turned off in a big way. Then I saw the claims of "artwork not final", and a few weeks ago the big defenders (like our Lithium friend) were saying "Don't pay attention to the artwork, it's not FINAL". No one said they were going to replace it. That was what the big defenders said to try to sucker in people like me that were concerned. And we were correct - the "art" is being used, it's just being tweaked and color corrected.

No amount of "coloration tweaks" will make the Hobgoblin Lieutenant into a good looking card. Period.

I am sad, because I wanted to back this game. But, as others have said, instead I'm just going to fill out the rest of my TS:A collection. I am sure between all of TS and TS:A I'll have plenty of TS goodness to play.

Interesting. Most people shorten my name to Jaded rather than Lithium. However, seeing as how the former can carry a negative connotation combined with the fact that your posts have been very fair and free of insult, I'm not all surprised you had the foresight to choose the latter. I must say I really appreciate how thoughtful you are in your responses!

Now to the art of the matter. Yes a few weeks ago I did say the "art was not final." I never said "pretend you never saw it and don't consider it when spending your money" though. Now that we have a better idea of what things will look like in the end, I have stated my preference for the look of previous sets over the more cartoony art we currently see (in this very thread in fact just a few posts up).

For me the art is not a big enough concern to turn me away from the game mechanics they have developed. But just like everyone else in this forum, that is just my opinion. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jadedlithium wrote:

Interesting. Most people shorten my name to Jaded rather than Lithium. However, seeing as how the former can carry a negative connotation combined with the fact that your posts have been very fair and free of insult, I'm not all surprised you had the foresight to choose the latter. I must say I really appreciate how thoughtful you are in your responses!

No prob. I'm just trying to be civil. You would seem to be either A) a super crazy TS fan or B) a viral AEG employee. In either case, you're still deserving of respect.

jadedlithium wrote:

Now to the art of the matter. Yes a few weeks ago I did say the "art was not final." I never said "pretend you never saw it and don't consider it when spending your money" though. Now that we have a better idea of what things will look like in the end, I have stated my preference for the look of previous sets over the more cartoony art we currently see (in this very thread in fact just a few posts up).

A few people did say some similar things to that though. There was a bit of a debate on one of these threads about the difference between "art not final" and "AEG hasn't put in the art yet this is just temporary art" - I can't say that I paid attention to who was saying what at the time, but some definitely suggested the art would change in substance, not just in polish.

jadedlithium wrote:

For me the art is not a big enough concern to turn me away from the game mechanics they have developed. But just like everyone else in this forum, that is just my opinion. Cheers!

For sure. To me, I really enjoy (and continue to enjoy!) TS with the existing sets. I don't think TS:Q represents enough of a departure to be a different game, and I find it lacking when considering it in combination with what's existing.

I think I'd look at it this way - if I wanted to play Thunderstone, would TS:Q do that better for me? No? Will it give me something different than TS? No, not really either.

Which is how I made my call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:

No prob. I'm just trying to be civil. You would seem to be either A) a super crazy TS fan or B) a viral AEG employee. In either case, you're still deserving of respect.

Well if we're limiting it to just those two options, I guess I'll take A haha. The truth is, I love Thunderstone not because I think it's the greatest game ever made, but because it is something I have enjoyed playing with my friends. We have a lot of great memories with it. And that's why we're all here. None of us would be posting if we weren't passionate about this game and what it's meant to us! Some of us are moving on while others stay the course. There is no right or wrong here. Do what you love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.