Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Rules

Subject: 12 influence at the end of intrigue phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mitchell ortuondo
Australia
flag msg tools
Quick question about end of game.

2 players had 12 influence at the end of the intrigue phase and had to do an arena combat.

question is if any gladiator was exhausted during the intrigue phase can they be used at the end of game combat, to resolve the winner?

thank you in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume no, as they haven't had a chance to recuperate. But interested to hear other opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would treat it like any other arena phase, which means exhausted cards are not unexhausted until the upkeep phase. So any exhausted gladiators and slaves would not be able to participate in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mitchell ortuondo
Australia
flag msg tools
That is exactly what one of the group argued.The other stating that the deciding arena combat,was not part of the actual game.

It is a tie breaker so that both players would be allowed to bring whatever gladiator they had to the arena.

The basis of this argument is that it is not a normal arena combat,as no bets are placed and no cards can be used on the combatants by ANY player. It was a simple combat to decide the victor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mitchell ortuondo
Australia
flag msg tools
Here was a answer from the the errata.
As it was outside the normal flow of the game the argument was exhausted gladiators could fight in the tie breaker. As it is not the arena phase.

Question: Can I play Reactions (Rigging the Match, Blood on the Sands, etc) in a Tie-Breaker Tournament? Answer: No, currently no Reaction cards may be played in a Tie-Breaker Tournament. The Tie Breaker Tournament is outside the normal flow of the game and is not a true Arena phase. There is no Host, no Tribute paid, no wagering and no Favor gained.(Spartacus 0racle faq)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mitchell ortuondo
Australia
flag msg tools
Just wish to clarify as the errata answer didn't explicitly say that exhausted gladiators could not fight, the final tournament tie breaker.

It is okay to use a exhausted gladiator or even injured gladiator in the final battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the official FAQ: http://gf9.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=4014 on page 4 under Arena Phase Continued there is a question that says:

Quote:

Q: What happens during the Tie-Breaker Tournament if one or both of the gladiators cannot supply a combatant for the event?

A: If a tied player is unable to provide a combatant, they loses an influence and do not participate in the tournament. If none of the tied players are able to provide a combatant, they each lose an influence, the tournament is canceled and the game continues. If only one tied player is able to supply a combatant to the tournament, that player wins the game.

Exhausted and injured gladiators and slaves cannot participate in the tie-breaker tournament if you follow the above. It doesn't explicitly say, but you can lump exhausted and injured into "unable to provide". So only use ready gladiators or slaves.

And thematically this would make sense. If two houses are vying to determine their ultimate influence in a tournament they would only be able to provide the combatants they have available. If your gladiators took on injury and exhaustion over the course of getting you your coveted influence, they wouldn't then magically be able to put you over the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... overall I'd say this is yet to be concluded.

Quote:
but you can lump exhausted and injured into "unable to provide"

Quote:
The Tie Breaker Tournament is outside the normal flow of the game

Personally i would of played it as a no, injured or exhausted can not but after reading here, i'm not to sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question needs an official reply.

Until we have one I will play that exhausted gladiators are refreshed (but injured are not). I think it is more exciting if the game is decided in the arena between as strong gladiators as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
I will play that exhausted gladiators are refreshed (but injured are not). I think it is more exciting if the game is decided in the arena between as strong gladiators as possible.

Exactly what i was thinking. Although, I doubt it will be the answer we get, this is how we will play it too.

Injured needs to be healed and might die, where as exhausted would of refreshed satisfying the "outside of normal game flow". I believe if they do answer they'll go for a simple yes or no, universal to keep things simple, rather than thinking too much into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.