Subject: How Does One Shuffle Small Cards and Rigid Cards ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Wikipedia has an extensive list of techniques.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuffling

The overhand shuffle works in almost all cases although very small cards can be annoying. The ultimate fallback is the pile shuffle where you just put cards in to multiple piles then merge and repeat if you feel the need. That technique is useful for the rare cases where you have to randomise tiles or other non-card based elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Hindu shuffle works well. for small cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I do a few alternations of these 2 techniques:

1. Random pile shuffle, dealing "manually randomly" (i.e. arbitrarily in no particular order, not in a fixed repetitive cyclic sequence, but even though I explicitly say this, probably someone will object that pile shuffle is completely deterministic and cyclic and bad...) into a half dozen piles and then recombine the piles in some random/arbitrary order.

2. Overhand shuffles peeling a few cards randomly from the top and bottom repeatedly, using a technique (that is second nature to me but that is apparently uncommon) of repeatedly pulling the top few and bottom few cards from the deck in my hand and transferring them into a newly forming deck, i.e. if the deck is like this in my hand, then a few steps would go:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

1 2 10 / 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

1 2 10 3 8 9 / 4 5 6 7

1 2 10 3 8 9 4 7 / 5 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
I riffle shuffle the little cards all the time. Just takes practice. I'll throw in a few overhand (like russ described) between the riffling.

Unless they're sleeved, then they just get mashed together and overhand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Faro shuffle, all the way.

As already mentioned, overhand is generally preferred. A few light, slow, deliberate riffle shuffles are okay. And pile shuffling is good for those new/stiff/big/small cards. I usually then overhand those stacks a few times as I add them to the bigger stack.

But if they're sleeved, just mash em all together!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pile Shuffle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aggressively. I'm not gonna make a little card make me out a fool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Riffle shuffles don't have to bend the cards. This takes some practice, but I've seen people with very small hands shuffle big decks. What this video doesn't show is that you can bevel just the cards about to be shuffled, with any number of cards above the bevel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
klondike shuffle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Small cards are not a problem with practice. Really big cards are difficult (Inis!), as are very large numbers of cards (Deus).

For oversize cards, divide them into packets then pile shuffle while gently cursing the publisher.

If it is a biiig deck, divide it into manageable sub-decks by dealing packets into several piles.
For each pile, alternate riffle shuffles with over/underhand shuffles.
Merge all the cards into one big deck once more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's inappropriate for a rifle shuffle, the surest way to randomize the cards is the tried and true "pile shuffle" (divide the deck into seperate stacks, such as 5) with a various Indian shuffles and finally a half-deck cut. I don't think doing Indian shuffles is effective by itself since it still clumps cards together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.