Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok my spellweaver is 2 scenarios away from retirement. I know I will be retiring then, and she is sitting on 50g currently. We have enchanting unlocked and I could enchant a card but why do that for only 2 scenarios.

What would you guys do?

I was thinking of not doing anything but donating my gold to the church (to unlock the 100g in donations envelope). Or do you think it is worth it to enchant a card this close to retirement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Enhancement is worth it if you ever intend to create a new character in that class, otherwise I'd recommend donating...except you can't do that more than once per visit so you'd still be left with excess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
except you can't do that note than once per visit so you'd still be left with excess.

Oh darn I didn't see that part in the rulebook... Thanks I guess I will do both then Donate 10g and then enchant (or just donate 10g keep 40g finish a scenario and donate 10g and use the rest to enchant one big one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Enhancements do persist across character iterations. If you ever expect someone to play that character again then doing that is a great idea.

Otherwise it basically is just the sanctuary donation. Also, keep in mind that the retirement rules state you can "do any number of things in town before retiring", so by that logic you can go donate again just before retiring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:
Also, keep in mind that the retirement rules state you can "do any number of things in town before retiring", so by that logic you can go donate again just before retiring.

Just read the section about retiring and enchanting. I guess I will have to wait to retirement to enchant as well. I already have one card enchanted and our town prosperity is only level 1 still. So I am hoping we gain 1 point in prosperity before I announce my retirement because I can then enchant another card.

But as it stands I will donate 3 more times (which is 30% of the way to the envelope unlocking).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:

Otherwise it basically is just the sanctuary donation. Also, keep in mind that the retirement rules state you can "do any number of things in town before retiring", so by that logic you can go donate again just before retiring.

For some groups this will be fine and others outside the spirit of the game, but you could also sell all your adventuring gear and use that to fund enhancements.

In some groups that won't fly. "Why would they sell their stuff!?" Which is a fair question.

But if you're looking at it from a more mechanical point of view, that's the way to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
mournful wrote:
Khift wrote:
For some groups this will be fine and others outside the spirit of the game, but you could also sell all your adventuring gear and use that to fund enhancements.

In some groups that won't fly. "Why would they sell their stuff!?" Which is a fair question.

But if you're looking at it from a more mechanical point of view, that's the way to do it.
"Why would they sell their stuff!?" Well that's easy... they're retiring! And maybe they've discovered morality and want to give thanks to the gods that they survived their many adventures and / or help train the next batch of adventurers so that maybe the next batch will have an easier time of it than they did.

But nah, I understand where you're coming from in terms of theme. Just saying that two can play that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:

That's a fair thematic question. I have a mechanics question: "Why do you think you know which cards whoever plays this class next will want enhanced and how? What if they want to play the class differently than you did, or choose different cards when they level up?"

I mean, adding a generic +1 to a move or attack is undeniably useful, but you're still denying the opportunity for the next player to add jump to that movement, or a status effect to that attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrTroy wrote:
mournful wrote:

That's a fair thematic question. I have a mechanics question: "Why do you think you know which cards whoever plays this class next will want enhanced and how? What if they want to play the class differently than you did, or choose different cards when they level up?"

I mean, adding a generic +1 to a move or attack is undeniably useful, but you're still denying the opportunity for the next player to add jump to that movement, or a status effect to that attack.

Well that is what they will get for having played an already played class. Plus it is my game so lol just messing.

Good points actually but still I have money to burn, no reasons to buy any items since we didn't unlock many (still prosperity level 1). I am trying the best to help out the good of the group. I think using the money will help in the long run, plus I think I have a good grasp on the class and I think (for the spellweaver) if I can afford adding Wind or Ice to a card that is used a lot would go a long way no matter who plays it. A lot of cards combo off the elements for that class and those elements are the two I liked the most (ice for stuns and wind for my buff).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mournful wrote:

Because they are retiring?

"The character has accomplished his or her dreams and has no more motivation to go exploring monster-filled ruins."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
mournful wrote:

Because they are retiring?

"The character has accomplished his or her dreams and has no more motivation to go exploring monster-filled ruins."

Yeah, it works for me, I have no narrative problem with it. I've just seen posts by people who don't like it for other thematic reasons, so I was leaving it open for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:
mournful wrote:
Khift wrote:

"Why would they sell their stuff!?" Well that's easy... they're retiring! And maybe they've discovered morality and want to give thanks to the gods that they survived their many adventures and / or help train the next batch of adventurers so that maybe the next batch will have an easier time of it than they did.

But nah, I understand where you're coming from in terms of theme. Just saying that two can play that game.

Absolutely. It's my standard play at this point, although I've been just recording how much gold they had at the end and buying the enhancements later when I'm in the mood to pour over it for awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tobyr21 Pseudonym
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
It is frustrating to retire a character with a lot of gold. The game ought to offer another way to use it up. For example, if (I'm roleplaying here) the retiring character is likely to have a blast in Gloomhaven before disappearing into history, that gold might be used to buy presents or drinks. or even create trouble. Why not let the retiring character spend gold to increase the prosperity of Gloomahaven? For example, spend 25g each to up the prosperity one notch (or perhaps, even to lower it!).

What might be done with leftover gold?

Isaac Childres, I'd like your opinion on this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
tobyr21 wrote:
It is frustrating to retire a character with a lot of gold. The game ought to offer another way to use it up. For example, if (I'm roleplaying here) the retiring character is likely to have a blast in Gloomhaven before disappearing into history, that gold might be used to buy presents or drinks. or even create trouble. Why not let the retiring character spend gold to increase the prosperity of Gloomahaven? For example, spend 25g each to up the prosperity one notch (or perhaps, even to lower it!).

What might be done with leftover gold?

Isaac Childres, I'd like your opinion on this issue.

I'd think the game design speaks for itself in this matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure to donate if you haven't already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not even certain that donating is legit if you are retiring. You can't donate before a casual scenario*, which begs the question of whether you can donate before no-more-scenarios. It's not like you'll have an attack modifier deck to bless.

I'm just speculating, of course, but I know I've not been donating pre-retirement for this reason.

* reportedly from another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
before you retire you can do the following in the city (if your last mission was a campaign play):
- donate once
- sell all your gear
- enhance your ability cards
- do a city event with your party

- then you must retire

- then you must create a new character and can:
- donate once
- buy your gear
- enhance your ability cards (if you have gold)
- do a city event with your party (if you not already did one in this city phase)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Cseke
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My idea is to sell all the equipment and mark the final sum of money on the player sheet. If someone will start a new character from the same class, this money is available, but only for enhancement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, why would the character spend all their gold? In most cases, if they're retiring, I'm sure they want the money to be able to live a good life
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tobyr21 Pseudonym
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Paul,
Please note my original idea. The retiring player DOES want to spend gold to live the good life. Therefore, there ought to be a way for that gold to increase the prosperity of Gloomhaven. For example, increase the prosperity one notch per 25 gold. Possibly, since gold obviously gets available more as the campaign progresses, it should be more like: increase the prosperity per 20 gold times the character level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
icechamber wrote:
Ok my spellweaver is 2 scenarios away from retirement. I know I will be retiring then, and she is sitting on 50g currently. We have enchanting unlocked and I could enchant a card but why do that for only 2 scenarios.

What would you guys do?

I was thinking of not doing anything but donating my gold to the church (to unlock the 100g in donations envelope). Or do you think it is worth it to enchant a card this close to retirement?

let's houserule this.
Take any superfluous gold to the Bank of Gloomhaven, there is only one you can't miss it, and wire the money to the account 123456789.
The trans-dimensional banking system will ensure that the money ends up in my account in my Gloomhaven, thanks.

Welcome to the multiverse! (<- name of the corresponding achievement)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyr21 wrote:
Please note my original idea. The retiring player DOES want to spend gold to live the good life. Therefore, there ought to be a way for that gold to increase the prosperity of Gloomhaven.

Your character is supposed to be a self-interested mercenary who doesn't share with his own party. He's not a lawful goodnick running for mayor. If you want to house rule a game, nobody's stopping you. But, if you want community approval, don't assume you will automatically get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
tobyr21 wrote:
Please note my original idea. The retiring player DOES want to spend gold to live the good life. Therefore, there ought to be a way for that gold to increase the prosperity of Gloomhaven.

Your character is supposed to be a self-interested mercenary who doesn't share with his own party. He's not a lawful goodnick running for mayor. If you want to house rule a game, nobody's stopping you. But, if you want community approval, don't assume you will automatically get it.

In fairness, this is a thread seemingly dedicated to ideas that contravene the rules in various ways so people don't feel like they're losing anything when the mercenary who spent their life earning enough to retire on... want to live on that money?

ETA: Sorry guys, your mercenary is taking their ball and going home. Go out and earn more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tobyr21 Pseudonym
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Once again, let me point out that my suggestion does not contravene the game. If my character retires to Gloomhaven, he or she will spend gold there. The more spent, the better for the prosperity of Gloomhaven, so please give us a rule to raise that prosperity.

Much as I like my idea, I will not houserule it without positive feedback from Isaac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyr21 wrote:
Once again, let me point out that my suggestion does not contravene the game. If my character retires to Gloomhaven, he or she will spend gold there. The more spent, the better for the prosperity of Gloomhaven, so please give us a rule to raise that prosperity.

Much as I like my idea, I will not houserule it without positive feedback from Isaac.

You're artificially raising the value of one of the major pacing portions of the game. Prosperity already increases by one when someone retires, but our recently retired Cragheart would've raised it by 4 with your rule, and our Tinkerer would've raised it by 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.