Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Royer
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple solo variant where all the Blob cards are against you.

DIFFICULTY: Medium

SETUP:

• Remove all Blob cards from the deck. Separate out the 5 bases, and then shuffle all their ships. Place face down for their draw pile.

• Place Blob bases into face up pile in this order from top to bottom:
Blob Wheel, Blob Wheel, Blob Wheel, The Hive, Blob World (bottom)

• Take 2 explorer, 4 scout, 4 viper and shuffle for your starting deck.

• Shuffle rest of deck for you to purchase from as normal. Place 5 face up in the trade row.

• Start with 50 Authority

• Draw your first five cards and you are ready to play.

PLAY:
• You will go first

• Play your hands as normal, purchase and attempt to attack. You will go through 2 hands being attacked before your purchased cards can help you, unless you discard your explorers.

• On Blob's turn, turn over top card in their deck. It will attack you with the attack of the showing Blob Base. You will NOT use the Ally Abilities for the Blob. So just use the Primary Ability for each ship. You basically have 3 possible safer rounds when the Trade Pods are drawn, BUT you will still take the hit from the Blob Base. After hit is taken, discard the Blob Ship.

• You need to wipe out the Blob Bases to win. So you need to have 5 attack draws of 5,5,5,5 and 7.

Can you purchase what you need to take them out in time? They have some heavy hitters and adding in the Base Attacks can wipe you out fast! Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tumbarello
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting variant.

My first game I won with 24 authority left. I assumed the blob had to destroy my outposts first before inflicting damage to authority.

Also, when a target opponent has to discard a card, I just discarded from the blob fighter pile

Gets kinda hairy when you pull a blob destroyer and add the damage with the base. Luckily at that time I had two outposts to take the damage.

Going to try my 2nd game.

EDIT:
2nd game and I won, but I only had 13 points left. Didn't get any battle pod breaks until late in the game.

Few questions...
If you take out a blob base, does any extra damage points carry over to the next base? There may have been a time when I had enough points to take out 2 bases in one turn, but made my own rule that I could only take one base out at a time.

When the blob gets a card that says "draw a card", what I did was calculate damage of fighter + base, assessed damage, then drew another card and resolved damage for this fighter (+ base again)

If blob gets option to scrape card from trade row, I just had blob select most expensive card (or card with highest attack)

So far, I like this a lot. I wish there were maybe two more blob bases in the mix. I might add some from one of my expansion decks and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tumbarello
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added "Breeding Site" and 2 "Battle Screechers" from Promo Pack 1

I won, but only had 2 Authority points left. Whew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Royer
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to your questions. LOL... It's tough, cause initially you can take tons of hits before you are beefed up enough to even make a dent.

And yes to the base carryover. If you can take out one, then the next in 1 turn, take them out.

Yesterday I attempted to take on the Federation deck. They don't attack alot, but they build and build authority to protect themselves. So for that one a turn tracker might have to be put in place. I'm going to work on it soon.

It is a nice way to play solo and not have to worry about PNP'ing anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tumbarello
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok. I'll have to try again with the rules clarification.

Also, I'm going to try the other factions as well. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

Thanks for this solo variant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Hunter
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to trying this - love the idea.

I have one question before I try it: Am I right in thinking The Blob do not have any Authority - instead their continued "health" is represented only by the face up Base Shield Value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Royer
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that is correct. Same with all my Faction variants... the health is based only on the Bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Harzer
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
"That German Bloke"
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this variant. Really good idea to spice up this game.
Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Harzer
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
"That German Bloke"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing with some of the additional sets. That needs some creativity around some of the other Blob primary abilities, like:

"You may scrap a card in trade row": I would suggest the then always opt to scrap to furthest most card in the row like in the other solo variants, ad then move up all cards in trade row before replacing the empty slot.

"Death world:" Instead of scrapping from own hand, force the solo player to scrap one of the Trade Federation, Machine Cult or Star Empire cards each turn.

"Breeding site": if base came into play this turn, gain the 5 attack points, i.e., when solo player got rid of the previous base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.