Subject: Any updates coming to the EH Vassal module? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone here involved in the development of the Vassal Eldritch Horror module? EH is my absolute favorite game, but I so rarely get to play it with people. Most of my games I play solo via the Vassal Module. Much quicker; no setup time.

Does anyone know if there is a planned update soon to the module to include the Dreamlands expansion? I've been holding off on buying the expansion until it appears on Vassal because I'll hardly ever get to play it except on Vassal and it's quite expensive! I keep checking for the price to drop on Amazon, but I just can't rationalize spending more than the cost of the base game on an expansion when I won't even get to play it until it's included on Vassal.

I imagine there are many Play by Forum people who would be interested in this as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also use Vassal for Eldritch Horror a lot. It's my primary way of playing right now, either by myself or with one of my friends.

The creator of the module does still seem to be active, so I imagine we just have to wait until he has added Dreamlands. I don't know how to contact him.

If you would like to play with me and my friend sometime, feel free to player mail me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
I also use Vassal for Eldritch Horror a lot. It's my primary way of playing right now, either by myself or with one of my friends.

The creator of the module does still seem to be active, so I imagine we just have to wait until he has added Dreamlands. I don't know how to contact him.

If you would like to play with me and my friend sometime, feel free to player mail me!

how have you found it using vassal? specifically, how often do you run into technical issues like most actions were lost or incorrect access to info?

i've used vassal for solo games like mage knight, but never multi-player so never had to deal with sharing files, or having to use password so that i i only see my info, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
randomlife wrote:

how have you found it using vassal? specifically, how often do you run into technical issues like most actions were lost or incorrect access to info?

i've used vassal for solo games like mage knight, but never multi-player so never had to deal with sharing files, or having to use password so that i i only see my info, etc.

We’ve never run into technical issues like that. We use Dropbox to pass game files back and forth. It’s kind of klunky, but it works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
SirWashington wrote:
randomlife wrote:

We’ve never run into technical issues like that. We use Dropbox to pass game files back and forth. It’s kind of klunky, but it works fine.

interesting - sounds like a lot less work than pbf and requires no moderator?

i wonder why it isn't more popular than pbf, in the sense that there are more people in forums looking to do pbf than vassal. maybe the barrier to entry is lower for players, even though it requires someone to do a big lift moderating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
interesting - sounds like a lot less work than pbf and requires no moderator?

i wonder why it isn't more popular than pbf, in the sense that there are more people in forums looking to do pbf than vassal. maybe the barrier to entry is lower for players, even though it requires someone to do a big lift moderating.

With Vassal, each person is kind of their own moderator, so it definitely requires more from the players than just typing what their Actions are each turn in the PBF.

And the Vassal interface takes some getting used to and isn't always intuitive.

Here's basically what I have to do when it's my turn to play:

1. Receive a text notification that the other player has uploaded a new file to our shared Eldritch Horror Dropbox folder.

2. Go to Dropbox and download his latest game file to my local Eldritch Horror directory on my PC.

3. Go to Vassal and load the new file.

4. Step through everything that the other player did on their turn.

5. Start recording my turn into a new Vassal file, then end that "logfile" when my turn is done. Name the new file.

6. Upload my new file to Dropbox.

So like I said, kind of klunky. But the two of us have played 20 or so games like this now and we like it. There are some nice features that the Vassal author added like buttons to spawn new Clues, Gates, etc. And it prints out all the Reckoning Effects that need to be done each Mythos Phase, so that in itself is worth using Vassal for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.