17 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Flower Knight Bow - Nerf or abuse? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Allaby
msg tools
mbmbmb
I asked over on reddit, wanted to get this crowds input too. Just about to take on a flowerknight for the first time, and i'v read a TON about how the bow is just stupid overpowered.

I'm not wanting to digress from the rules too far, but also don't want to make the game easy mode, so im a bit stuck on how to deal with the bow.

The two main suggestions are a) Make is so you can only make the bow off a level 3 knight, not level 1 or b) give it cumbersome, which has been told isn't enough of a nerf, its that good.

The problem with a is the knight has zero other loot i want, so i'm not really liking that option. i wouldn't be super opposed to making a "nerfed" version that i can then upgrade to the final form once i've taken down a level 2 or 3 knight, but its hard for me to figure out where to nerf what, and still stay within the rules of the game.

I've never used it, looking for those that have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Perry
United States
Coral Springs
FL
flag msg tools
badge
TWIST Gaming
mbmbmbmb
My idea would be make it cumbersome and remove the snipe ability that could be unlocked after beating a lvl 3 might work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just play it as designed. whistle

You say you've never fought the flower knight before? Then, forget other people's opinions on the bow for a second and try it yourself first before deciding if you need to house rule the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you build a version of it that is say

3 Speed
6+ Accuracy
4 Strength
Range 6
Cumbersome

Until you beat the L3 Flower Knight it might be reasonable. But just putting cumbersome on the bow as it stands right now doesn't do anything to stop it being OP, even if you get rid of the 'sniper version'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play as designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Allaby
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's valid, the just try it yourself answer lol. I did get caught up in reading how OP it is and maybe am over anaylzing. As one of the people i play with said "hey, if its that uber, we'll just start hunting level 2 monsters sooner to offset"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is our first campaign with it and we are playing as designed. We just limited ourselves to building 1. It is really good but at least this way it limits the impact a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that the bow is ok if you only make one of them and you start hunting L2 monsters shortly after.

I like the Flower Knight and I love the mini. However the more I play with it the less inclined I am to include it in my campaigns. I have that masochistic streak where I want the game to hurt me lots. Including FK and FK gear sort of curbs that to an extent.

That isn't to say that FK isn't one of the most unique and fun fights out there. It is. Only Sunstalker rivals or beats FK in the uniqueness and fun of its encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Sams
msg tools
mbmb
It's one of the strongest weapons in the game and can be made after fighting the (arguably) easiest enemy in the game a single time as early as LY4. They apparently thought the negative event would be enough of a "drawback" but it really isn't.

One idea I've had in the 5 minutes I've spent thinking about it is to make the drawback event recur similar to the Gorm event. Something like, "add this to the timeline in two years unless you have _____". Come up with some milestone to fill in the blank. This gives you the option of building the bow early with the risk of not completing your milestone before you run out of people, or waiting until you've completed it to go for the bow. It also gives you the option of ignoring the milestone and trying to out-intimacy the drawback. Also, make the bow "unique".

At the end of the day, it's your game. If getting an OP bow to turn the early-mid game into a cakewalk sounds fun, do that. Otherwise, come up with a house rule that suits you and your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twelver
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i remember correctly doesnt crafting the bow add a pretty destructive event to the timeline??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Perry
United States
Coral Springs
FL
flag msg tools
badge
TWIST Gaming
mbmbmbmb
If you roll high enough you get even the more powerful acanthus doctor.

As for the bad side its just population loss which can be handled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
father sky
msg tools
Forget the bow. It's the "otherworldly luck" fighting art that is truly easy mode. Especially with the new 1.5 sculpture which will allow you to spread it to essentially every survivor in your settlement. How much does the game change if you effectively remove the "1" result from every event and endeavor? What happens when both parents have it for intimacy?

The entire expansion makes the game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, there is really more than just the bow to make the game easier.
And the Sleeping Virus Flower?

Anyway, the bow is still probably the major culprit here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Father911 wrote:
Forget the bow. It's the "otherworldly luck" fighting art that is truly easy mode. Especially with the new 1.5 sculpture which will allow you to spread it to essentially every survivor in your settlement. How much does the game change if you effectively remove the "1" result from every event and endeavor? What happens when both parents have it for intimacy?

The entire expansion makes the game easier.

I forgot that the expansion gave us that ridiculous fighting art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sintec
msg tools
Father911 wrote:
Forget the bow. It's the "otherworldly luck" fighting art that is truly easy mode.

That sounds like the easiest workaround is to either make it a one-shot ability. Or just remove that fighting art from the game entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
What should happen is that Adam should just fix the expansion. He's already committed to shipping new Flower Knight AI cards in the Gambler's Chest, why not take this opportunity to add a couple replacement Gear Cards and a fighting art at the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be a card pack in the future, but fixing current expansions was never a goal of this ks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.