1 , 2  Next »   | 

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Difficulty of solo game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
theo deus
msg tools
Hi guys,

I just played Terraforming Mars for the first time and it was a solo game. What surprised me is that without any previous experience with the game I won (by a very tiny margin but still). So I'd like to pick up your brain here - how difficult is the solo game in your opinion? I'm a pretty bad board games player and I lose most of the time in any other title, I also made some bad decisions in the beginning I think but I was still able to capture the victory. Was I lucky or the game is just fairly easy to win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little bit difficult, but not impossible. I used to win 75% of the time, then I started to try and maximise my score and dropped to 50%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pettersson
msg tools
Judging from my experience of ~250 games played, you can have a winrate of >95%. Not that I am there, but most time when I lose it is because of mistakes or me going for highscores. Only 1-3 games was impossible to win, for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just say that I concur that the solo game is pretty easy to win.

If you start taking more risks to go for a high score, losing will occur more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
userid122002 wrote:

Crap. This is not what I wanted to hear. I was wanting to get this (intending to play it solo quite a bit (I mean multiplayer too, but mostly solo)).soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course winning (as in reaching max global parameters by generation 14) is not the only challenge. You can try to maximize your score too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
userid122002 wrote:

Crap. This is not what I wanted to hear. I was wanting to get this (intending to play it solo quite a bit (I mean multiplayer too, but mostly solo)).soblue

If your concerned about the challenge, why not just crank up the win conditions to make it harder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
unless there is a go to strat or something I don't see it. Just got the game and lost the first 2. Wasn't even close. Certainly a matter of the luck of the draw but that's not a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Teserovitch
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtTenor wrote:
unless there is a go to strat or something I don't see it. Just got the game and lost the first 2. Wasn't even close. Certainly a matter of the luck of the draw but that's not a bad thing.

I am 0-3 in solo. The only time I got close I was inadvertently cheating. It is not a walk in the park for everyone but it would be easy to increase the difficulty if it was that easy for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too. Just got the game and played three in a row, losing more badly each time. Seems like so much depends on which cards you draw. But I actually prefer games where earning a win is tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played 2 more games tonight. Finally got a win with 57 points. The first game I went too hard on production of titanium and steel. Since they are so useful for building and space cards I thought I'd stroll through that game. I forgot to start putting down oceans and greenery tiles until was too late. I had so much titanium that I couldn't make them useful.

The game I won I went with a more balanced start Even with Credicore corporation I was playing passive. In fact I focused on standard projects in the begging trying to get heat up as well as some ocean tiles down that my energy cards were quite useful when there were at least 3 ocean tiles down. Coupled with a card that paid 4 energy to get one steel and raise the oxygen level it was an easier game. Well not easy. It was still close as round 14 I need to raise the temperature 2 more times. Managed to just buy the standard projects to do so.

Despite the luck of the draw aspects of the game, there are ways you can mitigate it with card play. That's what makes the game shine for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
userid122002 wrote:

Despite not being too difficult just to win, it is an incredibly satisfying solo experience. Just trying for continually higher scores in most solo games doesn't interest me too much, but for some reason it really grabs me in TM. At this point I've played 40-50 solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael G.
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasP87 wrote:
Judging from my experience of ~250 games played, (...)
Pardon me ... it's not a short game, how did you manage to achieve such a performance ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gameraf wrote:
ThomasP87 wrote:
Pardon me ... it's not a short game, how did you manage to achieve such a performance ???

A solo games takes about an hour, so I's not that long game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pettersson
msg tools
gameraf wrote:
ThomasP87 wrote:

I have owned it for almost 6 months. A solo game takes about 45 min to play, since I know most cards just by looking at them. It averages out to less than 2 hours a day and I love to play this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael G.
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
45-60 min for the solo game ? Nice !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pettersson
msg tools
gameraf wrote:

It will take longer in the beginning, or if you are a slow player. But yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasP87 wrote:
gameraf wrote:

It will take longer in the beginning, or if you are a slow player. But yes.

Yeah, and you need to build your habits on how to organize your game components so you don't have to spend time on moving stuff around over and over again because you run out of space for the cards etc. Just having to rearrange takes unnecessary time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is either a great win in your first solo game or you made some mistakes, which ist unfortunately very common when you start playing this.
Perosnally I tried about 12 to 15 solo games and won about half of them. Only one with a score above 100. And I never managed to need below 2 hours also I'm not a slow player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gardener1817 wrote:
Me too. Just got the game and played three in a row, losing more badly each time. Seems like so much depends on which cards you draw. But I actually prefer games where earning a win is tough.

At the start it can seem like it really depends on the luck of the draw, but as you begin to learn the cards and the card distribution, actually terraforming is not very dependent on card draw, and getting a high score is more where the good card draws come into play.

I also play solo games in 45-60mins including setup and shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff0 wrote:
Burnham wrote:
userid122002 wrote:

Despite not being too difficult just to win, it is an incredibly satisfying solo experience. Just trying for continually higher scores in most solo games doesn't interest me too much, but for some reason it really grabs me in TM. At this point I've played 40-50 solo games.

I agree that the game is very fun and satisfying.

I own the game, play solo exclusively (also around 50 games), and don't regret buying it.

(SgtTenor) wrote:

I remember my first few plays seemed it seemed difficult - almost impossible - to reach all of the goals within only 14 rounds.

I'm sure that due to luck of the draw not every game is winnable, but once you get the hang of what cards to buy and when to buy or not buy them, it's much more manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
userid122002 wrote:

If you start taking more risks to go for a high score, losing will occur more often.
This. If you're really concentrating on the terraforming, it's actually rare not to make it. I've won 90% of my games so far (9 out of 10).

The single game I lost, I was playing with the Mining Guild. It took me until well after generation 7 before I got my first good cards. In particular I'd been drawing very few building cards. What caused me to lose, though, was buying too many cards that weren't immediately useful instead of relying on standard projects to increase my early income.

Still, within one more generation I'd have won that game, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Terry
msg tools
So I know I’m a year out from this thread but I just bought this game and am stumped. I’m not trying to focus on maximizing score and can’t even come close to raising oxogyn and the temp to what they need to be at. I only maximize the base goals and have never reached them. So either I don’t know the “best cards” to win or there’s some base rule I’m missing out on. I’ve played twenty games and lost all twenty, and it wasn’t even close.

It feels like. In order to win you need the right corp and to get a lot of cards that let you pay to double up on raising oxogyn and or temp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fracturedorb wrote:
So I know I’m a year out from this thread but I just bought this game and am stumped. I’m not trying to focus on maximizing score and can’t even come close to raising oxogyn and the temp to what they need to be at. I only maximize the base goals and have never reached them. So either I don’t know the “best cards” to win or there’s some base rule I’m missing out on. I’ve played twenty games and lost all twenty, and it wasn’t even close.

It feels like. In order to win you need the right corp and to get a lot of cards that let you pay to double up on raising oxogyn and or temp.

One of the biggest common mistakes made seem to be buying too many cards. Those 3 M€ each tends to drag away and be costly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fracturedorb wrote:

Rich, you're not taking only 2 actions per generation are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.