Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
59 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: W&G, what podcasts do you like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to start a thread for podcasts that the members of W&G are listening to and enjoying.

What are your favorites?
Is there a particular episode that you listened to recently and enjoyed?
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy listening to Rahdo Talks Through - his was the first one I listened to (and it honestly helped me get myself to/from work after my mom died). I really enjoy the conversational style that he has going on. It feels more like I'm listening to a friend.

I'm also looking for a recommendation for a new podcast to try. I've tried a few others and realized that monotone or monotone-ish voices really don't work for me. I know people can't really help it, but I have no interest in it for a podcast. I'm also trying to avoid news ones as they just depress the heck out of me when my reserves are down at the beginning or end of a work day. I kinda liked the style of Brawling Brothers - they even had me laughing out loud one morning, but the fat jokes are lame and made me tremendously less interested. Anyone have any suggestions that sound like they might fit?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I'm behind on episodes, but Welcome to Nightvale is my one and only regular podcast. (I don't have a lot of time that works well for listening.) Dive Film HD is a video podcast that updates sporadically, and that's usually worth watching and the videos are very short.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Gaming Podcasts:
Board Game Blitz
Our Turn! Women on Gaming Podcast
Boards & Swords

Actual Play Podcasts:
Dice and Stuff
The Hidden Grid
Cthulhu and Friends
Geekly Inc Random Encounters
Brute Force
Drunks and Dragons
Friends at the Table
Dirtbags of Holding

Storytelling/Shadowrun:
Violent Life

For Meadmaking:
The Meadcast

I listen to a lot of actual play stuff. The guy who does Boards & Swords also does Dirtbags of Holding. Drunks and Dragons have really bad potty mouths and mention political stuff, so I kind of hesitate to mention them, but they are really funny which is why I keep listening. Dice and Stuff is probably my favorite. The episodes are short and it's well produced, always entertaining. Cthulhu and Friends is suspenseful with great storytelling, but it can be really gross too - some of that due to random rolls on a chart. I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, but I probably haven't listened to those in a while. Violent life has two different types of episodes there is a story and then there are episodes focused on Shadowrun rules, world-building, etc...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actual play stuff? Like the podcast is of them playing a game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite podcast is Sword & Laser book club podcast. Tom & Veronica put together a fun show. If you like Sci-Fi and/or Fantasy books, you may enjoy it as well.

swordandlaser.com
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anjulka wrote:
Actual play stuff? Like the podcast is of them playing a game?

That's right. They role dice and stuff. Cthulhu and Friends sometimes cuts the rolls out, though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne Dong
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
Board Gaming Podcasts:
Board Game Blitz
Our Turn! Women on Gaming Podcast

+1 for these two

Also another women hosted podcast, Greatway Games.

Others:

The Dice Tower
20 minutes of Filler
Low Player Count (1 and 2 player centric)
Table for One (solo gaming)
Board Gamers Anonymous
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amyotheramy wrote:
I'm behind on episodes, but Welcome to Nightvale is my one and only regular podcast. (I don't have a lot of time that works well for listening.) Dive Film HD is a video podcast that updates sporadically, and that's usually worth watching and the videos are very short.


Cool! My friend Kevin is "Kevin" on Nightvale. I love it when he pops up.

My faves are:
Game Night Guys (no longer being made, but I just discovered it)
Board Game Blitz
League of Nonsensical Gamers
The Dice Tower (I subscribe to the podcast and the YouTube audio feed, but I don't listen to all of the audio feed)
Ludology
CARDBOARD! With Rich Sommer
Heavy Cardboard (I don't play heavy games; I just like the hosts)
Shut Up and Sit Down

I like personality, but I'm not into "morning radio" voices with "kooky" energy. I like my podcast hosts a little more natural. I lean toward a subdued/dry sense of humor. Also, and I think I'm in the minority here, I prefer podcasts under 50 min.

Non-Gaming:
Missing Richard Simmons
Five Decisions Away (also no longer being made) with Hoarders' Matt Paxton
Sooo Many White Guys

Just started listening to (so don't know if they're "keepers" yet):
Two Dope Queens
What the Geek
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
^That is awesome. I love Kevin! thumbsup
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Gamingwise...
Our Turn
Boardgame Blitz
The Secet Cabal Gaming Podcast (and I'm especially excited by their new Lords of the Dungeon podcast, which is RPG focussed)
Shut up and Sit Down (because I rarely get a chance to watch things on you tube and this is the next best thing )

Educational
Sawbones: A Marital tour of Misguided Medicine (which is a really funny, interesting podcast about things we got wrong in medicine, it gets much better after the first dozen episodes when they really get into their swing.)
TES - The education podcast (I doubt anyone else is very interested in it, but I find it's a good way of keeping up with educational policy and research for England and Wales.)
No Such Thing as a Fish (podcast by some of the QI elves, about weird and wonderful facts, we usually listen over dinner or while Mikie washes up.)

Story
Welcome to Nightvale
Within the Wires
Alice isn't Dead
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never even considered that there would be gaming podcasts! surprise

I listen to Trekfm...they have several series going, one for each show, one for the movies, one for the music, one for the books, one for the hell of it...always something I'm interested in.

Also 'Science' by the AAAS, 'Nature', "Science at AMNH' from the American Museum of Natural History and 'Science Talk' from Scientific American.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hoye
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I love playing pretty much anything except war games! I'll try 'em all.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adrienned1 wrote:


Also another women hosted podcast, Greatway Games.



eeee thank you


I love listening to The Five By! Short & sweet. League of Nonsensical Gamers is great too.

Non-BG related, I loooooove 99% Invisible, Good Job Brain and Tanis.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great recommendations I will have to check out sometime (kinda overwhelming all the content out there).

I also want to mention another actual play, One Shot, which I had downloaded several months ago and finally started listening to. They sample a bunch of different RPG systems so you don't have to feel overwhelmed since you can just listen to any system you are interested in. Geekly Inc Random Encounters, mentioned earlier, also does this, but some of those are longer arcs.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuromanced wrote:
amyotheramy wrote:
I'm behind on episodes, but Welcome to Nightvale is my one and only regular podcast. (I don't have a lot of time that works well for listening.) Dive Film HD is a video podcast that updates sporadically, and that's usually worth watching and the videos are very short.


Cool! My friend Kevin is "Kevin" on Nightvale. I love it when he pops up.

My faves are:
Game Night Guys (no longer being made, but I just discovered it)
Board Game Blitz
League of Nonsensical Gamers
The Dice Tower (I subscribe to the podcast and the YouTube audio feed, but I don't listen to all of the audio feed)
Ludology
CARDBOARD! With Rich Sommer
Heavy Cardboard (I don't play heavy games; I just like the hosts)
Shut Up and Sit Down

I like personality, but I'm not into "morning radio" voices with "kooky" energy. I like my podcast hosts a little more natural. I lean toward a subdued/dry sense of humor. Also, and I think I'm in the minority here, I prefer podcasts under 50 min.

Non-Gaming:
Missing Richard Simmons
Five Decisions Away (also no longer being made) with Hoarders' Matt Paxton
Sooo Many White Guys

Just started listening to (so don't know if they're "keepers" yet):
Two Dope Queens
What the Geek


This made me smile. Thank you, Violet.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easier than it used to be to find podcasts with women in them. Board Game Blitz and Our Turn are both good. Greatway Games is on my list to check out. One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Vox Republica, which has excellent and thoughtful conversation -- I particularly liked their Online Communities episode.

If you like The Bachelor, or even if you don't watch it but would be willing to listen to a podcast about a reality TV show, I highly recommend Rose Buddies. It is so good that I'm going back and listening to old episodes. Rachel and Griffin are hilarious. (There is a lot of swearing, be warned.)

Other gaming podcasts I listen to sometimes: Ludology (best thinky "game theory" podcast out there), Low Player Count (also thoughtful), Tabletop Game Talk (they post their episode topics on BGG ahead of time so you can weigh in and be included in the discussion, which I love, plus Kitty is great), and occasionally The Long View (good if you want really comprehensive episodes on individual games).

Used to listen to the Secret Cabal but recently it has been less and less. (I sometimes got a little bit of a "boys' club" vibe from them.)

Note to any podcasters who might be reading this thread: Timestamps are much appreciated!! Thanks to those of you who provide them!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
Neuromanced wrote:
amyotheramy wrote:
I'm behind on episodes, but Welcome to Nightvale is my one and only regular podcast. (I don't have a lot of time that works well for listening.) Dive Film HD is a video podcast that updates sporadically, and that's usually worth watching and the videos are very short.


Cool! My friend Kevin is "Kevin" on Nightvale. I love it when he pops up.

My faves are:
Game Night Guys (no longer being made, but I just discovered it)
Board Game Blitz
League of Nonsensical Gamers
The Dice Tower (I subscribe to the podcast and the YouTube audio feed, but I don't listen to all of the audio feed)
Ludology
CARDBOARD! With Rich Sommer
Heavy Cardboard (I don't play heavy games; I just like the hosts)
Shut Up and Sit Down

I like personality, but I'm not into "morning radio" voices with "kooky" energy. I like my podcast hosts a little more natural. I lean toward a subdued/dry sense of humor. Also, and I think I'm in the minority here, I prefer podcasts under 50 min.

Non-Gaming:
Missing Richard Simmons
Five Decisions Away (also no longer being made) with Hoarders' Matt Paxton
Sooo Many White Guys

Just started listening to (so don't know if they're "keepers" yet):
Two Dope Queens
What the Geek


This made me smile. Thank you, Violet.


Hey, you're welcome! I don't like to complain, but I do like to compliment where compliments are due. I enjoy the show, and I'm totally not the sort of person "on paper" who would.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cmarie wrote:
It's easier than it used to be to find podcasts with women in them. Board Game Blitz and Our Turn are both good. Greatway Games is on my list to check out. One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Vox Republica, which has excellent and thoughtful conversation -- I particularly liked their Online Communities episode.

If you like The Bachelor, or even if you don't watch it but would be willing to listen to a podcast about a reality TV show, I highly recommend Rose Buddies. It is so good that I'm going back and listening to old episodes. Rachel and Griffin are hilarious. (There is a lot of swearing, be warned.)

Other gaming podcasts I listen to sometimes: Ludology (best thinky "game theory" podcast out there), Low Player Count (also thoughtful), Tabletop Game Talk (they post their episode topics on BGG ahead of time so you can weigh in and be included in the discussion, which I love, plus Kitty is great), and occasionally The Long View (good if you want really comprehensive episodes on individual games).

Used to listen to the Secret Cabal but recently it has been less and less. (I sometimes got a little bit of a "boys' club" vibe from them.)

Note to any podcasters who might be reading this thread: Timestamps are much appreciated!! Thanks to those of you who provide them!


Some titles in your post I hadn't heard of. Adding to my list to try. Thanks! You've got me thinking -- I really appreciate hearing a woman on a gaming podcast I'm sampling, and I tend to give those a bit longer as a try. This is not to say I want "token" women or that I'd like every female podcast host just because they're women, but I do find myself settling in and feeling at home a little more quickly if there's at least one woman either among the hosts or (as with Game Night Guys) frequently appearing as a guest or guests -- or even mentioned frequently as friends/gaming partners. I also like quite a few podcasts that don't feature women, but if I sense that "boys club vibe" you mention (though it may be hard to define) I get a bit turned off. It's a little hard to describe. Just a feeling I get from some of the podcasts but not others. I also love it when kids get included from time to time, which is a bit more rare.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Neuromanced wrote:
I really appreciate hearing a woman on a gaming podcast I'm sampling, and I tend to give those a bit longer as a try. This is not to say I want "token" women or that I'd like every female podcast host just because they're women, but I do find myself settling in and feeling at home a little more quickly if there's at least one woman either among the hosts or (as with Game Night Guys) frequently appearing as a guest or guests -- or even mentioned frequently as friends/gaming partners. I also like quite a few podcasts that don't feature women, but if I sense that "boys club vibe" you mention (though it may be hard to define) I get a bit turned off. It's a little hard to describe. Just a feeling I get from some of the podcasts but not others. I also love it when kids get included from time to time, which is a bit more rare.


I think that is an important point. I listened through a couple RPG play through podcasts when I was thinking about backing the Bluebeard's Bride Kickstarter. (This is a feminist horror RPG.) One had a woman on the team and one did not, and it was interesting to hear the different perspectives. Games frame reality in a direct way to a player, and a woman is going to be able to relate aspects of that experience that a man just won't have. I really appreciate this thread and in the event that I do pick up a gaming podcast as a regular listen, it's nice to have some starting places.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I always like to see what podcasts people listen to-- it scratches that same itch of browsing people's bookshelves (or game shelves)!

I listen to a lot of podcasts as entertainment to get me through the duller parts of my work, but I'm only just coming back to gaming again after about half a year of... not being inspired. Anyway, the only board game ones that survived this lull are:

The Dice Tower
Flip the Table
Rahdo Talks Through
The Snakescast*

*-- a note about the Snakescast: they've recently changed their format, and they now have two regular hosts, one of whom is female. This thrice-weekly 10-15 min podcast is hosted by some of the Game Gurus from the board game cafe Snakes & Lattes.

Non-Board Game favourites include:
Radiolab
This American Life
99% Invisible
The Allusionist
Planet Money
Hello Internet
The West Wing Weekly


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cmarie wrote:

Note to any podcasters who might be reading this thread: Timestamps are much appreciated!! Thanks to those of you who provide them!


Absolutely! Timestamps are a life saver. Sometimes I forget which game they are talking about halfway through because I often listen at work. So I really appreciate timestamps and also tags for which games are mentioned.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It saddens me that some folks don't take the time to timestamp their shows.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adrienned1 wrote:
Also another women hosted podcast, Greatway Games.


Thank you for this suggestion - Greatway Games has turned into my second favorite podcast (after Rahdo). They also have the exact same feeling of getting to just "hang out" with these ladies while I listen to it. I could see it tying Rahdo's podcast or even beating it out if it was more regular or longer.

flaeryn wrote:
Board Game Blitz

This one has also been added to the subscription list.

I have a few more episodes from each of the above and a new Rahdo, but then I'll try more.

I must admit that makes me kinda sad, though, when I see certain people active on BGG, and I like them, but I can't get into their podcast.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hoye
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I love playing pretty much anything except war games! I'll try 'em all.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anjulka wrote:
adrienned1 wrote:
Also another women hosted podcast, Greatway Games.


Thank you for this suggestion - Greatway Games has turned into my second favorite podcast (after Rahdo). They also have the exact same feeling of getting to just "hang out" with these ladies while I listen to it. I could see it tying Rahdo's podcast or even beating it out if it was more regular or longer.



oh my goshhhhhhh this makes me feel so good aaah heart
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz D
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, this thread is awesome! And it came along at just the right time. I listen to a lot of gaming podcasts, but I have been thinking of changing things up a bit with my rotation.

Violet - I just wanted to say that I also LOVE shorter podcasts! I know you can just pause a podcast and come back it later, but... I like to finish things. And also to listen to a wide variety of content, which I don't have time to do if every podcast is 2.5+ hours long.

As a solo gamer, I particularly like 1 Player Podcast, Every Night is Game Night, and Low Player Count.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.