Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Luty
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello I just picked up Sycthe, really looking forward to playing. I was going to play the individual game to better learn. I noticed on Boardgame Geek that some have played with more than one Automaton. I know starting out you should do beginner and battle only one but can anyone review the multiple Automaton scenerio and say if it is worth to play that way. Thanks, and keep on flying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no "multiple automa scenario".

It is possible to play with more than one, using the supplied Automa deck, but is much better with a separate deck for each Automa player. There are also some online versions, but I prefer the cards myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Luty
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend playing against one Automa for your first quite a few games. The Automa is great but takes a few games to get used to - the reason they didn't include multiple Automas as a standard option was they felt it made the time dealing with The Automa was excessive.

I'd put it out of your mind until you have a good few games under your belt.

When you do come back to it, it's possibly to play:
- two Automa from the same deck. But not recommended.
- buy or print more decks
- use the online or iOS app. (ScytheKick for example)

Quite a few people in the 1 player guild end up preferring it when they do try it. Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To piggy-back on what Iain is saying:

I tried playing 4 Automas my first game (using ScytheKick - can't recommend this app enough if you have an iOS device!) and it got pretty hairy, quickly. Mostly in terms of choosing where to place pieces during movement.

I ended up scrapping mid-game and going back to one Automa using the supplied deck. Made learning MUCH easier, especially when it came to movement.

I've since "graduated" to using all seven factions, six controlled by Automas. VERY fun but the board got crowded, fast. Now I'm looking into picking up the board extension - but that's another thread. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglenutt wrote:
Hello I just picked up Sycthe, really looking forward to playing. I was going to play the individual game to better learn. I noticed on Boardgame Geek that some have played with more than one Automaton. I know starting out you should do beginner and battle only one but can anyone review the multiple Automaton scenerio and say if it is worth to play that way. Thanks, and keep on flying.

I wrote some rules for handling any combination of human and Automa players. You can find them here, if you're interested: [thread=1469589[[/thread].

There's a free fan-made web version of the Automa deck where you can have one deck per browser tab: http://ai.nagy.tech/scythe/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, learn by playing with one Automa, try upping it to 2, then if that goes well 3... then play at whichever level is most fun vs the effort required for upkeep! The reason I saw work your way up is that just playing your own game is a lot of work thinking-wise, and until you are comfortable with Automa movement that will take some thought as well. Later it will come naturally.

I use the multiple deck or app approach. I'm not interested in playing against 4-6 Automas and I think 2 Automas might be my sweet spot but that could change - and that's just me.

Try it for sure though. I hope you enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
Yeah, learn by playing with one Automa, try upping it to 2, then if that goes well 3... then play at whichever level is most fun vs the effort required for upkeep! The reason I saw work your way up is that just playing your own game is a lot of work thinking-wise, and until you are comfortable with Automa movement that will take some thought as well. Later it will come naturally.

I use the multiple deck or app approach. I'm not interested in playing against 4-6 Automas and I think 2 Automas might be my sweet spot but that could change - and that's just me.

Try it for sure though. I hope you enjoy it!

I also strongly recommend starting with one and only adding more, once everything flows smoothly and most people say that getting there takes a bit of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.