Subject: The Worst Thing About SeaFall (Box 3+ spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoilers for Box 3:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Spoilers for the Mosaic Room on the tomb map - probably best not to read unless you've already explored there:

When my group first opened Box 3, read the rules for tombs and looked at the tomb map, it seemed pretty obvious to me that the Mosaic Room would be a Hold endeavour. Look at the text:

"How to transport the tiles?"

I thought, that's a pretty clever way of getting players to use Hold for an endeavour, which ordinarily wouldn't make much sense. It's an underused ship stat so it's nice to see it getting some love here. The designer has come up with a flavourful reason why you'd roll against that value and it rewards players who have upgrade their Hold (a stat that doesn't come into the game all that much otherwise). There are obviously tombs using Explore, Raid and Sail, so this must be the one that uses Hold.

But only one of the players in our group had a sufficiently advanced Hold to attempt that tomb, and he wasn't concentrating on tombs anyway, so we left it for a while. It ended up being one of the last tombs we looked at. If you've entered the Mosaic Room you know where this is going... Lo and behold, it's a boring old Explore endeavour. Such a disappointment and a wasted opportunity. Why does this tomb use Explore?! Look at the flavour text. It's nonsensical! It's preposterous! It's disgraceful! Rob Daviau, what were you thinking? I'm surprised more players aren't up in arms. I trust an official erratum will be issued to correct this egregious flaw.

It's the single most disappointing thing about SeaFall.

Actually, thinking about it some more:

It would make sense from a balance point of view if the Mosaic Room was a Hold endeavour. Not only would it add more value to Hold upgrades but the reward for successfully exploring the Mosaic Room is the Sacred Tablet - the one that lets you activate a colony for free. Who is most likely to be able to make use of that power? A player who has upgraded their Hold in order to build a colony!

I'm starting to wonder if it used to be a Hold endeavour but was changed during development...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Addington
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Were you able to use a type of good there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
joshaddington wrote:
Were you able to use a type of good there?

Yes...

...wood and iron to make tools. I thought wood would be involved (to make crates to hold the mosaic pieces).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely see your point regarding the endeavor type. That saying, if that's your biggest disappointment, then I guess you loved the game? Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But how would you explore it if there's no tomb lower than, say, 10 left ?

Even with a hold of 5 + 1 support.... There's no advisors wich increase your Hold (I guess the Smuggler could...)
Well, I guess you could use the archeologists, and have a lot of resources to boost the dice rolls...

You know what, I'm sold. I'm suggesting it to our group for the next campaign !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
You could have Hold 7 if you found the right Research cards and picked up that bonus. It might also encourage you to buy those +1/+2 Hold upgrades that are rarely used otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.