First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet» Forums » General

Subject: Lower your expectations for the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Fazakerley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At GAMA Ignacy asked gamers to lower their expectations for the game. He then did a presentation for the game and failed miserably in bringing down anyones expectations:D
I am even more excited after this than I was before:p

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Tzdbxq6V4&t=9s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorenzo Chiappini
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see the "post your game on Twitter! Tell your friends! E-mail your grandma!" thing becoming obnoxious quickly, even if I understand why it's exciting for Portal.

shakes fist at kids on lawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always used to think board game publishers were boring. Then I spent 12 months listening to Igancy's hype machine. It's tiresome. I am now much happier with the boring publishers. Even if FM is a truly great game, the build up has been long and overwrought, like a three year old with a spoon and a tin pot...

To be clear, I expect FM to be good. But I have unsubscribed to every single Portal feed possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeaaa, subscribing to Portal games and then getting info on their games
would be a unexpected disappointment...
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kskato wrote:

Yeaaa, subscribing to Portal games and then getting info on their games would be a unexpected disappointment... surprise

Just to clarify, in my case I simply wanted to stay informed about their upcoming releases, etc. I wasn't expecting the amount of hype and unrelenting tweets. I ended up dropping him also. He means well and some of the stuff is interesting... is just way too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kskato wrote:

Yeaaa, subscribing to Portal games and then getting info on their games
would be a unexpected disappointment...
surprise

It was the duration, sheer volume, and bombastic tone that overwhelmed me. I subscribe to many things, and I have seen such a hype performance. There is helpful info and there is !!!*HYPE*FUL INFO!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilarious laugh laugh
You guys follow some dude,, that you know,, is going to talk about his product ,but he doesn't do it right

1.You need to straighten out the Vassel clan. At GAMA they were complaining that U.S. companies wait to long to
to release info on upcoming games.

2. !!!*HYPE*FUL INFO!!! ???
... ever seen FFG news releases ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fazakerley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe you guys! You're having ago go at Ignacy because he keeps us informed about his games, he is always open, approachable and willing to talk with gamers.
Maybe you prefer game companies to be more like GF9 who are never answer gamers questions and don't keep gamers informed of what has gone wrong when games are late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kskato wrote:

2. !!!*HYPE*FUL INFO!!! ???
... ever seen FFG news releases ?

Nope. Haven't. I don't like that style of promotion. Which is what I said about Ignacy. Which is why I unsubcribed. Which is why I lowered my expectations. Which is the stated, whole point of this thread.

You all have a surprising amount of energetic disdain. I just stepped in for discussion. Probably better applied elsewhere, but if hiving is your thing, then have at it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, you got your 'discussion'.
And its just like your 'subscribing'-
Its not what you wanted to hear
so you resort to words like -hiving & overwrought & boring.

again..

anyone that doesn't expect all forms of 'HYPE' from a company about
their games is '?????"

you pick another adjective for '?????'
you like to use adjective whistle

I'm taking my energetic disdain elsewhere,

bye-bye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kskato wrote:

Tasteful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
kskato wrote:

Tasteful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cymrusaint wrote:
I don't believe you guys! You're having ago go at Ignacy because he keeps us informed about his games, he is always open, approachable and willing to talk with gamers.
Maybe you prefer game companies to be more like GF9 who are never answer gamers questions and don't keep gamers informed of what has gone wrong when games are late.

I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at him. I think he is manically enthusiastic by nature! I just felt overwhelmed by the subsciptions. I think it is entirely possible that many of us, including me, to truly lower expectations.

It's a board game, not a cure for cancer. I think it will be good, but I don't think any board game can live up to a steady stream of all this. Having said that, I've been gaming since 2000, so I'm a curmudgeon and can't be impressed, etc. etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tire of the overall hype in general but I appreciate the inside info from designers and publishers.

But, I couldn't get into any of Ignacy's videos. I have a really hard time understanding his accent and he talks so fast. I tried concentrating really hard to pay attention to what he's saying and I would still catch maybe only half of what he says and then give up watching in frustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce wrote:
I tire of the overall hype in general but I appreciate the inside info from designers and publishers.

But, I couldn't get into any of Ignacy's videos. I have a really hard time understanding his accent and he talks so fast. I tried concentrating really hard to pay attention to what he's saying and I would still catch maybe only half of what he says and then give up watching in frustration.

He looks very anxious all the time..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darius Blackwell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Woody Alen of Board Games ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Roberts
United States
Peculiar
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Electronics are going to be part of board gaming. You should be thankful. Now at least one person playing will not be on social media while playing.

I already keep an iPad handy. Video is a great way to deliver rules. I keep a ton of rule books etc on it as well.

Integration with electronics can reduce down time. It can increase engagement/ immersion through sound and video. It can make a game almost infinity re-playable.

Electronic and video games have been around a very long time. Board games still exist because you can't replace people, not because you can't replace the board, dice or cards. Change is not always bad. Even if it is, it's coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lizardbaby wrote:
Electronics are going to be part of board gaming. You should be thankful. Now at least one person playing will not be on social media while playing.

I already keep an iPad handy. Video is a great way to deliver rules. I keep a ton of rule books etc on it as well.

Integration with electronics can reduce down time. It can increase engagement/ immersion through sound and video. It can make a game almost infinity re-playable.

Electronic and video games have been around a very long time. Board games still exist because you can't replace people, not because you can't replace the board, dice or cards. Change is not always bad. Even if it is, it's coming.

Wrong thread? Electronics is not being discussed here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Dudgeon
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
familygaming wrote:

Wrong thread? Electronics is not being discussed here...

He probably means that the board game integrates with an app; some people don't like or agree with that as they want an escape from electronic devices. Personally, I find it a bit of a mixed bag that really depends on the game. Having a companion app that really enhances the experience can be quite cool. On the flip side, too much integration can create an odd discord between virtual and physical, tactile play or it breaks the atmosphere/immersion from the frequent context switching.

I'm definitely looking forward to FM and the hard sci-fi aspects, though I think my daughter will enjoy Robinson Crusoe more. I really have to pull that out of the closet and actually give it a play through with her. It's been sitting there far too long...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.