Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Morrise
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great microgame. I have never played the 13 Days game and have a few rules questions about the 13 Minutes game:

1. If a player places a strategy card in the neutral zone and immediately places an Influence cube on it, does the card then move to the player's sphere of influence?

2. Can a player chose an Event from a card that became a Battleground on a previous turn, i.e., a card previously played?

3. Is it correct to say that EVERY TIME you play a card associated with your opponent's superpower, your opponent may use the Event before you take your Command action?

4. If a card has cubes on it equal to the cube limit in the card's header, can a player place additional cubes on it because of an Event?

5. Is there an upper limit for Influence cubes on the Cuba battleground?

6. If, at the end of the game, a card is in the neutral zone and has an equal number of cubes from both sides, is it disregarded in the scoring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Skjold Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
markmorrise wrote:
This is a great microgame. I have never played the 13 Days game and have a few rules questions about the 13 Minutes game:

1. If a player places a strategy card in the neutral zone and immediately places an Influence cube on it, does the card then move to the player's sphere of influence?

2. Can a player chose an Event from a card that became a Battleground on a previous turn, i.e., a card previously played?

3. Is it correct to say that EVERY TIME you play a card associated with your opponent's superpower, your opponent may use the Event before you take your Command action?

4. If a card has cubes on it equal to the cube limit in the card's header, can a player place additional cubes on it because of an Event?

6. If, at the end of the game, a card is in the neutral zone and has an equal number of cubes from both sides, is it disregarded in the scoring?

Thank you.

1. Yes
2. No, you can only use the card just played.
3. Correct.
4. Yes. The number of cubes in the header is NOT a limit, but only the number of cubes you may command when you play the card.
5. No.
6. Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Morrise
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
megalomane wrote:
markmorrise wrote:

Thank you.

1. Yes
2. No, you can only use the card just played.
3. Correct.
4. Yes. The number of cubes in the header is NOT a limit, but only the number of cubes you may command when you play the card.
5. No.
6. Yes.

Thanks! One last question - is there a limit of 5 cubes per battleground? I see one thread last October that says yes and a second thread last November that says some last minute development meant this rule could go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Skjold Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Short answer is no. There is no limit of 5 cubes.

It was a leftover from 13 Days we had in this game also for a long time but removed in the end as we deemed it not necessary (each extra rule comes at a cost). I hope we made the right choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Morrise
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it works OK without a 5-cube limit. A cost of such a rule might be to swing the odds of winning in favor of whoever happens to draw the most cards with 3 cubes in the header.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. There's only 13 cubes per side. If you want to place more than 5 cubes on a card then you're doing so at a large cost. Essentially you only get 5 chances to place cubes via event/influence. To get 5 cubes on a single card you've used up a minimum of 2 (out of only 5) rounds. It's just not efficient.

In our first few games we sometimes had 5 cubes on Cuba. We overestimated the value of this card quite a bit in the beginning.

One major difference between 13 Days and 13 Minutes is that you can claim a battleground without any cubes so long as it's in your own sphere of influence and has zero cubes from either play.

After a number of plays it was unusual to have more than 3 cubes on a card. Most games it seemed that cubes were used for tactical placement of battlegrounds than simple domination.

One of the things that keeps this game relatively deep is that these observations are not hardened rules as the strategy for winning changes game to game. More based upon what you have in your hand than anything else. Sometimes you want to try to force the opponent into Nuclear suicide, Sometimes you can win on battleground ownership alone, sometimes you're trying to match the cards in hand to force them to become relevant in the spheres of influence and cause a suicide.

In nearly all of the above cases you won't have the time or need to put more than 5 cubes on a card.

That's been our experience. If there is a lot of cubes on a card in our games it's because we're trying to pull a specific battleground and they accumulate cubes on purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.