Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shark Sandwich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mb
So my AE finally arrived. In a word: gorgeous. In another word: goal!!!

One minor inconvenience, however -- my boards are warped. No boards are perfectly flat. But my boards are warped enough to become a distraction.

A solution could be to use the weight of books to straighten them out (I knew having books would be useful one day). Two questions:

1) is this the best way to straighten out my boards?

2) if so, should I place the books on top of the folded boards or should I open them up and then place the books on top of the trouble spots?

Thank you in advance, fellow geeks.

Ps my set is also missing one Gondor regular unit (empty spot in last row of Gondor regulars). I've emailed Leonardo about this.

Despite these few minor hiccups, I remain extremely pleased with the AE product and cannot wait to face my first opponent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Heavy books or heavy games should do the trick. It should at least do enough to keep it from distracting you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shark Sandwich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Haha, thank you, Jack. And books upon folded boards? Or should I lay them flat first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd lay them out flat and even leave it overnight. Have to do it with my Twilight Struggle board all the time, but that one doesn't need overnight treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shark Sandwich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Phenomenal. Thank you again.

Some other solutions, I've found on the Geek and Reddit:

1) place heavy items over opened board (trying this now)

2) apply slight (very slight) backbend on problem areas. Watch out for snapped board. Yikes!

3) insert silica packets in box to absorb moisture (humidity during production and transportation can warp boards)

4) place plexiglass over board

5) iron the board on low heat. Double yikes! I'll be staying away from this option.

I'll work my way down through option 4 (if and as needed) and will update everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just an idea,

get some plywood 1/2 thick (2 'big enuf' sheets) --- put the playing board between those, and bolt down the pieces of plywood along the edges thereby applying flat pressure pressure greater than just gravity (as caused by the books). leave it this way a few days.

haven't tried this myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shark Sandwich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mb

Love it Marc, thank you.

I'll add this to my list of options (ahead the plexiglass solution). I'm no physicist or handyman but, yes, it would seem like even, flat pressure would be ideal.

Incidentally, after only a few hours of the book technique, my boards are noticeably flatter. But will they remain this way? I'll keep them weighted down overnight before my first game tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shark Sandwich wrote:

Love it Marc, thank you.

I'll add this to my list of options (ahead the plexiglass solution). I'm no physicist or handyman but, yes, it would seem like even, flat pressure would be ideal.

I am a physicist and I would concur about the flat even pressure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vexi
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are any of the other cardboard components affected? What are the relative humidity (%) and the temperature (C) levels of the room where you opened the box? If those two levels (especially humidity) are very different from to the levels of the atmosphere where the box was packed/stored/transported in, it could cause cardboard to warp. This is usually temporary until the paper has acclimated itself to the new atmosphere (i.e. paper is in moisture equilibrium with the environment) and "relaxes" after few days/weeks. So I wouldn't try to force the boards flat right away, especially if the room RH is extremely low (~<30%). Warping effect can also vary depending on the cellulose material and quality of the paper, so not all paper/cardboard warp equally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shark Sandwich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Holy smokes, there's some serious brainpower on this this site.

To answer your questions, Vexi:

- no other cardboard components affected, although none are long and flat like the boards, so difficult to determine

- it's cold and humid in NYC today (I keep my apt on the cold side), so this could explain the warping per your explanation. I'll play some Air Supply to further my board's "relaxation"

And hippyphysicschick, thanks for the confirmation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompe wrote:
Are any of the other cardboard components affected? What are the relative humidity (%) and the temperature (C) levels of the room where you opened the box? If those two levels (especially humidity) are very different from to the levels of the atmosphere where the box was packed/stored/transported in, it could cause cardboard to warp. This is usually temporary until the paper has acclimated itself to the new atmosphere (i.e. paper is in moisture equilibrium with the environment) and "relaxes" after few days/weeks. So I wouldn't try to force the boards flat right away, especially if the room RH is extremely low (~<30%). Warping effect can also vary depending on the cellulose material and quality of the paper, so not all paper/cardboard warp equally.

I live in Tahoe where there is, like, 0% humidity and this happens to many of my boards when I get them, including the AE board. The boards almost always flatten over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vexi
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thejadeape wrote:

I live in Tahoe where there is, like, 0% humidity and this happens to many of my boards when I get them, including the AE board. The boards almost always flatten over time.

0% relative humidity is of course impossible on Earth. Would quite painful to live and breath there. But yeah, here also, during winter when it's freezing outside, the air gets very dry and RH can reach around 30% inside. If I have ordered books/boardgames at those times, I poke few air holes to their plastic wrap and leave them be for few days/weeks before opening the package. Slow acclimation ensures that there will be no warping or it will be very minor and temporary. I have some books that are warped permanently, because I didn't pay attention to RH or the book was shipped without proper wrapping. Usually however when the RH inside is somewhere between 40-60%, there's no need for any such precautions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompe wrote:
thejadeape wrote:

0% relative humidity is of course impossible on Earth. Would quite painful to live and breath there. But yeah, here also, during winter when it's freezing outside, the air gets very dry and RH can reach around 30% inside. If I have ordered books/boardgames at those times, I poke few air holes to their plastic wrap and leave them be for few days/weeks before opening the package. Slow acclimation ensures that there will be no warping or it will be very minor and temporary. I have some books that are warped permanently, because I didn't pay attention to RH or the book was shipped without proper wrapping. Usually however when the RH inside is somewhere between 40-60%, there's no need for any such precautions.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Maynard
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I've got the same issue. I just use my AE box to flatten it out. Still pretty dang heavy, even without the board in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shark Sandwich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mb
A quick update on my warped AE boards: issue resolved.

Initially, I opened them up and flattened them down with heavy coffee table books. I did this for about 10 hours.

Then after heeding Vexi's advice (and that of my wife who runs an online art gallery), I simply let the boards adjust to their new surroundings, sans books.

This morning before leaving for the office (and two full days after removing the books and leaving my boards open), they seemed to have "relaxed."

There's still a slight rise around some of the edges and corners but it's nothing like it used to be -- and no longer a distraction for me.

Conclusion: issue resolved, it seems like my boards just needed to acclimate to their new home.

edit: P.S. Ares will replace my missing Gondor Regular when all AE shipments have been fulfilled. All is well once again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.