Mistfall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Embedded Actions and Discarding Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello,

If Action A embeds Action B and then does X, do the used cards from B get discarded before X occurs? (Since resolving and discarding is part of the embedding?)

For example, Fengray's Counterblow uses a shield, embeds a weapon action, and then draws 2 cards. Can I use a shield, place it on draw, embed a sword action and place it on draw, and then draw 2 cards (ie sword and shield?)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lanabound wrote:
Hello,

If Action A embeds Action B and then does X, do the used cards from B get discarded before X occurs? (Since resolving and discarding is part of the embedding?)

For example, Fengray's Counterblow uses a shield, embeds a weapon action, and then draws 2 cards. Can I use a shield, place it on draw, embed a sword action and place it on draw, and then draw 2 cards (ie sword and shield?)

Thanks!

Yes, I believe that's how Fengray's tactic is supposed to work: he'll draw back the Weapon and Shield
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you for the quick reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
You'd resolve the embedded action fully (including topdecks and discards at their appropriate timing points) before returning to the embedding card and resolving any further instructions there. So yeah, drawing his just used stuff back is pretty much the intended functionality here.

Wait, I think I'm wrong on that one, since Embedding actions are still composite actions and thus only one instance of action resolution.
Counterattack is a way to persistently and consistently use your shield/armor, but does nothing for your weapon; you pretty much need two to make it work (draw your axe, or make buying Ancient Sword a high priority), or use a card draw each time to re-arm yourself after your regular attack.

In the base game, this mostly supported multi-round fights (=no aftermath to draw your stuff back), now under HoM it's more generally useful (removal of the aftermath draw-up really really badly nerfed armor).

Sequence should look something like this:

- You are attacked and take damage.
- You use shield (required to trigger Counter iirc) and armor (optional) to prevent some damage, resolve these reflexes completely by putting them back on deck etc as instructed.
- You trigger Counterattack in response to the attack (or in response to the shield use, I think? Whatever, no text on hand)
- You discard any Combat cards used to boost the effect immediately as usual (but we don't care much about the discard pile, so no problem)
- Your attack (but not overall action) done, you continue with the text of the embedding card: draw 2 cards. These are your shield, and armor if you used it, or some bonus extra card draw if you didn't.
- At overall action conclusion, you process (discard, topdeck, whatever) all cards (except feeder cards as above) that were involved in or modifying the action, put them where they go in the order of your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.