Subject: Suggestion for Solo Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone. I have several Wizard Unlimited starter sets on the way, and would like to start reading up on rules before the cards arrive. However, I'm a bit lost as to where to start. Here is my context:

*I will be playing exclusively solo.

*I have never played a CCG before (though I did try the LotR LCG at one point).

*I would like to focus on storytelling and theme when playing.

*I have limited time to learn/play games due to job, family, etc.

In light of these factors, can the solo players here advise me on which solo rules to focus on? Should I start with the official rules with the solo option? Or just skip those entirely and go to the Arda variant? And if the Arda variant, should I use the original or the revised Arda from this site? (My head hurts...)

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Andrews
Wales
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Heya Garrett!

Welcome to the world of MECCG

I personally think a good place to start playing solo is Johannes Epple's Solo Arda variant. It is a bit random and some don't like it as it's not 'proper' meccg but it's a great way to get to grips with the game and avoid deckbuilding to start with. You just sort your cards into various piles and play

His videos are on the ME:CCG videos page here on BGG, they take a while to get going but are well worth watching. They're real playthoughs as you'll see and Johannes is often at the mercy of the cards and dice rolls

His rules variant is here on BGG.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadWelshWizard wrote:
I personally think a good place to start playing solo is Johannes Epple's Solo Arda variant.

Thanks for the suggestion Craig! Do you know if Epple's variant requires the original Arda rules for the base, or could the revised Arda rules HERE be used as the base instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Andrews
Wales
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just use the original non-Arda rules with Johannes tweaks but having had a quick read of them they'd work really well as a base and they are really well laid out..

A few things I do (I can't remember if Johannes used them):

I randomly determine locations for Marshalling point cards that aren't specified by drawing from a seperate shuffled location deck until the type matches and I place a counter on the map.

I also place counters to show the characters available.

A bit further down Johannes thread Charles Bryant suggests VP victory levels which I suggest using as 25vp is not always acheivable.

My main rule addition I enjoy is "Monsters Abroad". Whenever I draw a unique hazard creature that can't be played I place a token on the board in the place it can be (randomly determining if more than one) as the creatures of Middle-Earth no longer hide in this time of flux Any company moving through in future must encounter it.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.