6 Posts

Fresco» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2-player game - clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vegan Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just bought Fresco largely on the back of Rahdo's recommendation and his run-through. Looking forward to playing it but I have to say the rulebook is quite poorly-written, at least it seems to me.

With regard the dummy player, I quote:

Quote:
Each round Leonardo restores 1 fresco tile only. His master painter is moved one space up or down or left or right (not diagonally). The master painter must be moved, if this is not possible he jumps to the freso tile with the lowest value. If there are several tiles with the lowest value it's up to Leonardo's player where he jumps.

So is this to suggest that he moves TO the tile that he's going to restore? This isn't made clear. Human players, after all, don't have a master painter on the fresco tiles, and can restore any piece they like. Anyway, this is the reasonable inference, that he has to move TO the tile he's going to restore. However, quote continued:

Quote:
Both the bishpo and Leonardo's master painter are moved to the freshly restored space of the fresco.

Hang on... if we moved him TO the tile he restored, then surely he's already there. So what's up with this second movement? The bishop's not there yet, I get that, but surely Leonardo doesn't need moving this second time. He's already on the tile he developed.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the tile is first chosen (but it has to be chosen from a tile that is one space away left/right or up/down) then restored (flipped) then move the Master Painter to that tile that was just restored.

But you can't choose to have the master painter NOT restore a tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general rule, the logic you brought to this analysis is really only supported for rulebooks written originally in a language you understand. Translations are simply never that precise.

As I read it and have played it, Leo's master painter moves one space orthogonally and paints that tile, at his controller's choice. At that time, the bishop is moved to the painted space same as always. If there is no tile one space away, Leo jumps to the tile with the lowest value (controller chooses in case of a tie) and paints that one.

I would guess the discrepancy comes from them anticipating that you will *choose* the spot to which Leo will jump without actually moving the meeple, because you have to pick up the tile, which is easier to do when there isn't a dude on it. But regardless of your digital manipulation, as far as the rules are concerned, Leo jumps (if necessary) to the lowest-cost tile and then paints that tile. At which point you move the bishop there as always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle Marzipan wrote:
Just bought Fresco largely on the back of Rahdo's recommendation and his run-through. Looking forward to playing it but I have to say the rulebook is quite poorly-written, at least it seems to me.

With regard the dummy player, I quote:

Quote:
Each round Leonardo restores 1 fresco tile only. His master painter is moved one space up or down or left or right (not diagonally). The master painter must be moved, if this is not possible he jumps to the freso tile with the lowest value. If there are several tiles with the lowest value it's up to Leonardo's player where he jumps.

So is this to suggest that he moves TO the tile that he's going to restore? This isn't made clear. Human players, after all, don't have a master painter on the fresco tiles, and can restore any piece they like. Anyway, this is the reasonable inference, that he has to move TO the tile he's going to restore. However, quote continued:

Quote:
Both the bishpo and Leonardo's master painter are moved to the freshly restored space of the fresco.

Hang on... if we moved him TO the tile he restored, then surely he's already there. So what's up with this second movement? The bishop's not there yet, I get that, but surely Leonardo doesn't need moving this second time. He's already on the tile he developed.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Taking the several sentences in your first quote as a unit (rather than parsing each sentence in isolation), that paragraph describes the process for how the master painter is moved.

Then in your second quote, the move actually takes place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vegan Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks you for the replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so my wife & I played this as a two-player game last night and I think I got it right with Leonardo.

On his turn (my wife & I took turns controlling him) we moved him either up /down or left/right one space onto an un-restored tile, he got "X" points for that tile and if the Bishop was on a space connected to the un-restored tile we moved him to he got +2 VPs or +3 if the Bishop was already on that tile. After the restored tile was scored and set next to Leonardo's action sheet we moved the Bishop into that restored tiles empty spot like usual.

In our game Leonardo sucked up three value "9" tiles,,,,,,grrrrrr

LOL!

My wife won 83, I had 73 and Leonardo had 64
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.