Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

The Grimm Forest» Forums » General

Subject: Jon Gets Me To Pledge... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for this game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Mmmm... I don't know. The art and overall production values had me intrigued but now that I see the gameplay... this looks very repetitive, with no interesting decisions and seems rather lengthy and random (bad combination) for what it is. I think is overproduced for a reason.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
Mmmm... I don't know. The art and overall production values had me intrigued but now that I see the gameplay... this looks very repetitive, with no interesting decisions and seems rather lengthy and random (bad combination) for what it is. I think is overproduced for a reason.


Agreed +1
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Pedersen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
So granted the guy explaining this in the video definitely talks too much for certain people, but it is meant to give an insight into the strategy of the game. With the video taking over an hour, with someone explaining every little detail, this game likely takes 30-40 minutes and seems to be a good icebreaker game for parties and the like.

You may want to wait for this game to hit the shelves, but then again, a Kickstarter bonus for less amount of money may actually end up being best in the end
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Espinoza wrote:
Mmmm... I don't know. The art and overall production values had me intrigued but now that I see the gameplay... this looks very repetitive, with no interesting decisions and seems rather lengthy and random (bad combination) for what it is. I think is overproduced for a reason.


I also felt the same way. For the people that thought that Unfair was too swinging and "take that", they will have a field day with this game. I love the artwork and the theme, but this one seems to overstay it's welcome just a bit and the "friend" powers seem to really dictate who will win the game. I was a bit turned off by this walkthrough to be honest.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jericho Board Game wrote:
So granted the guy explaining this in the video definitely talks too much for certain people, but it is meant to give an insight into the strategy of the game. With the video taking over an hour, with someone explaining every little detail, this game likely takes 30-40 minutes and seems to be a good icebreaker game for parties and the like.

You may want to wait for this game to hit the shelves, but then again, a Kickstarter bonus for less amount of money may actually end up being best in the end


While Jon is explaining every random detail, he also knows how to play the game well enough to teach it. New players are going to be reading the card detail and taking longer to make decisions. Also, Jon plays through a three player game. A four player game likely takes longer. I'm not sure this is as "gateway" as you make it out to be.

Everything for me is going to depend on the kickstarter price and what is included. I'm still on the fence. I'm a sucker for theme, art and high component quality and this game has all three in spades. It's also probably pretty good for my gaming group as I have quite a few people who like to mess with other players and this game has high player interactivity.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, take-that in what presents as a family game is daring. I agree on the game play - I'm mainly worried about a runaway-leader which seems to be more or less determined by chaos. But the theme and production is SO gorgeous! I'll wait and see what the KS looks like before making a decision.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
Everything for me is going to depend on the kickstarter price and what is included. I'm still on the fence. I'm a sucker for theme, art and high component quality and this game has all three in spades. It's also probably pretty good for my gaming group as I have quite a few people who like to mess with other players and this game has high player interactivity.
I think the biggest issue for me is that this isn't really a big box game. I think I wouldn't mind all the randomness, shallow gameplay and 'take that' if it was a simple filler card game.

But they are trying real hard to make it look like a big box board game, with all the plastic and the extra large and unnecessary cardboard mats.

It is overproduced to try to get KS backers to pay ~$60 for what could easily be a card game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Butler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Druid City Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$49 and Free shipping. We felt a very fair price.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.
I am one of the designers.

Hopefully the Kickstarter campaign and all the extra stuff we hope to be able to add by the end will make everyone happy with the amount of value we put in the box.

It's not priced at $60 - its priced at $49 and that includes free shipping to the US and very reasonably priced shipping to the rest of the world.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Karmol
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I've played the game 300 times in development over the past two years. It is far from shallow or random, whatsoever. Remove the friend cards and fable cards and you have an incredibly tight rock-paper-scissors style game that is all about bluffing, deduction, and playing the other players.

If you enjoy mental games that are lightning fast to play but can be played as deeply as you want (or not) this one is for you.

The production value stuff? Hate the game (KS) not the playa (Grimm Forest). Or write a letter to CMoN.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
radagast_thebrown wrote:
I've played the game 300 times in development over the past two years. It is far from shallow or random, whatsoever. Remove the friend cards and fable cards and you have an incredibly tight rock-paper-scissors style game that is all about bluffing, deduction, and playing the other players.

If you enjoy mental games that are lightning fast to play but can be played as deeply as you want (or not) this one is for you.

The production value stuff? Hate the game (KS) not the playa (Grimm Forest). Or write a letter to CMoN.
This must be the first time I've seen rock-paper-scissors described as a "bluffing, deduction" game. I guess you're technically right.
You might also be correct regarding this game, it might really be a great game... a great card game, one that's not random at all ...if one removes all the random and take-that cards (?!).

Regarding KS as an unavoidable "reason" for overproduction to inflate prices: I have seen plenty of great games on KS that don't go overboard with components (like the irrelevant and oversized playmats and minis, etc) and still do more than well. At least CMoN games are dungeon-crawlers or dudes-on-a-map games that kind of need miniatures. Some also include 50-100 figures, sometimes for less than twice the price of this game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good grief. I sooo don't get the whole "overproduced" for the gameplay. "This could have been a card game." line. Really? A card game would have sucked.

There are literally thousands of games out there that are all gameplay, underproduced, no theme, no interaction, no fun games. Go buy one of those if that's what you want. Accept that this game is not that and accept it for what it is. Or simply don't buy the game then. Simple.

I happen to love the production, the toy factor, the extras and the proposed fun factor that all seems to grow by the day, with all of the extra additions. The theming looks great and I think it will be a very nice addition to my collection. I only wish The Grimm Forest would have been designed for six players at the onset. That would have amped the interaction factor and it seems to me this game thrives on interaction. It is a middling complaint, however. I'll be buying through the retail channel.

It just irks me when there are so few games with the investment in production values like what is being lovingly invested in this game -- as the majority of releases completely go in the other direction. Yet, it is evidentially not enough -- to the extent that people still feel the need to complain about the games like The Grimm Forest.

SMH.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.